Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 8: "Adventure Games Are Not Dead"

Can anyone explain what was that Metal Gear thing towards the end of the chapter? I'm not an native english speaker and I didn't understand well (subtitles would be great!).

Can anyone explain what was that Metal Gear thing towards the end of the chapter? I'm not an native english speaker and I didn't understand well (subtitles would be great!).

JP just likes saying "Metal Gear!" in the Metal Gear voice. I'm pretty sure that's the entire joke.

This was an excellent episode! Space boy was finally revealed, and the game seems to be coming together really nicely. I also loved that little after-credits moment with Tim.

I would watch a documentary series of just people riding in John Romero's car.

So it'd be a bit like the show Carpool, except the passenger would be gripping the dashboard in terror as John drives like a madman?

Maybe I've been listening to too many Idle Thumbs episodes at work but I totally expected Chris Remo to join in the Metal Gear voice fun.

I can't tell if I'm just failing to detect possible super-sarcasm in Chris' reply, but I thought the joke was that Brad thought the NPCs in Reds were giving him lots of exposition and he was only able to respond with short / single-word answers; much like you do in the Metal Gear series where someone yammers on for a minute or two and Snake simply says, "...Shagohod?"

The game's looking really beautiful, awesome work! Rest assured the detailing, especially making characters more expressive of their emotional journey, will not go unappreciated. I tend to think that kind of thing, even for people who don't pay close attention to it, will have a big subconscious effect on how players connect emotionally with the characters and story. Great episode, as always. It's always inspiring to see the work you're all doing.

There are no fjords in Sweden!

Technically there are... just look on google maps. They might not be listed as fjords, but compared to the Norwegian fjords Sweden has a few areas along their coast that basically does the same thing.

However I'm interested in learning what they are if not Fjords...

Hey Chris-- You mentioned GDC in the Episode update, but I see no more mention of it in my meager forum search. Are you guys planning on presenting at GDC this month? I would love to check out any talks/booths/etc you have to offer when I'm out there.

Tim's daughter going "I don't know HOW to shave!" and look so worried - so very cute! ^_^

Woah, did you just juice a WHOLE cucumber? I hope you washed it first! D:

Oh yeah, the game looks cool too :D

What a great episode. Great to see everything from the big build up from last episode, how our worries are alleviated, see Tim and his funny sense of humor, and just see even more of Bagels art because it's just beautiful.

Great episode as always 2PP.

Excellent video as always - nice to see it coming along well. Hope you don't reveal too many areas of the game in the videos... want to be surprised! ;)

Loved the HOF...interesting to see/hear the comments about feedback.... its one area that I still find particularly difficult to manage myself in my own day job.

Jason

Ps Beards rule! - Even though it apparently makes me look like a homeless person.

I would be quite happy for every character in the game to be voiced by Allison.

Particular, the Adventure Genre has many, many hard-of-hearing and deaf fans. So without (english or german) subtitles this fan base won't understand the video. Thus is very sad, because Tim Schaefer is a great person / actor :/

I think there was a plan for some fans who speak multiple languages to provide translated subtitles for each documentary episode, but I'm not sure if that's still happening. Because it is done by other backers, it will take a bit of time after the video is released, but I hope it gets done. I'd offer to help, but unfortunately I only speak English.

I would love it if all the puzzles were possible to skip and it had some influence on the story when the character did nothing and simply adventured through the world. Would be amazing if there was an adventure game where all you did was interact with things. Made so wherever you click the character would interact with stuff. There would be puzzles, but forcing you to do any of them shouldn't be an option.

It might be different from what you're talking about, but The Last Express was a fantastic adventure game where time would progress regardless of your actions. It was possible to skip certain actions, or miss important conversations, but the game would react certain ways depending on what you did or didn't do (for an early example, if you don't manage to hide the body of a murdered colleague before the train you're on gets to a certain stop, the police would find it and you would be accused of his murder causing the game to end). It's an awesome game, and it's available on GOG if you wanted to check it out.

Oh and awesome episode. I enjoyed that a lot. I hope the Brutal Legend launch on Steam is helping with the cashflow issues, and it's great that new people are coming on board to help with the game, but I'm a bit worried that those extra salaries will dramatically increase the burn rate on this project. Oh well, I trust that DF knows what they're doing. I'm sure they wouldn't bring those extra people on board if the benefits didn't justify the costs. It'd be great if we could get a post from Greg or another team member going over how the producers make a decision like that.

Hey Chris-- You mentioned GDC in the Episode update, but I see no more mention of it in my meager forum search. Are you guys planning on presenting at GDC this month? I would love to check out any talks/booths/etc you have to offer when I'm out there.

I'm not sure if all the GDC schedule stuff is worked out yet? We definitely have some staffers giving talks though. We won't have a company booth or anything.

I can't tell if I'm just failing to detect possible super-sarcasm in Chris' reply, but I thought the joke was that Brad thought the NPCs in Reds were giving him lots of exposition and he was only able to respond with short / single-word answers; much like you do in the Metal Gear series where someone yammers on for a minute or two and Snake simply says, "...Shagohod?"

I think the copious amounts of exposition in the MG games is reason enough to reference it there.

beautiful episode. Loved the moment when they push Tim car out of the garage :D

Might just be a bit of overload, but I'm having trouble loading more than the first 10 seconds or so of the doc. It gets there, then seems to skip to the end.
It's loading very very slow for me as well. I happened to notice almost on accident that if you right-click the video, one of the options is "Report slow loading". Might make a difference?

Really feel like the episode quality is constantly going up. this was one of the "if not the" best episodes and one of my favorites.

Im kinda sad that more kickstarters arent doing documentaries and those that are, they arent really on the same quality level and scope as these by 2player.

its gonna be awesome to have these then when you play the game you got this history and behind the scenes of how the game got made.

This is like the stuff collectors edition games should have as content. Because what you get to see here is that, there is a lot more cool people making them game that most people think, because you just focus on the box and it has a few peoples names there and you tend for forget all the other people who helped make the vision happen.

Cant wait to see if this game can capture some of the magic from the Lucas Arts games, both in story but also humor.

One thing that marks a good adventure game for me is the journey not just getting to the ending. so many games today just seems to be about rushing to the end, because so many games today are about artificial grinding and unlock and stuff like that. but when you have a truely amazing adventure game in an awesome world, you just wanna explore and take in everything and taking it nice and slow.

I missed these episodes so much! I feel really invested in this project, (besides financially) and having another glimpse inside the process is very meaningful. 2PP is doing an excellent job--keep it up!

The episode was pretty good and the game is looking marvellous. The animation in particular, well done.

I will say this though - as part of the vocal few who have expressed concern over the lack of communication for the last 3+ months, the fact that what seems to be a considerably big event (the HOF) happened, and wasn't even mentioned until this episode... I dunno. Seems like that could have been mentioned in a forum update to keep the restless happy. Using the documentary to show surprises is good, but not everything has to be kept as a surprise for the documentary.

I hope there are more actual forum updates on their way now.

I'm not sure if all the GDC schedule stuff is worked out yet? We definitely have some staffers giving talks though. We won't have a company booth or anything.

It's a good thing I just checked, because they finally have actual schedules up! And Scott C is going to be there! Awesome times, because his event is right up my alley!

Particular, the Adventure Genre has many, many hard-of-hearing and deaf fans. So without (english or german) subtitles this fan base won't understand the video. Thus is very sad, because Tim Schaefer is a great person / actor :/

I think there was a plan for some fans who speak multiple languages to provide translated subtitles for each documentary episode, but I'm not sure if that's still happening. Because it is done by other backers, it will take a bit of time after the video is released, but I hope it gets done. I'd offer to help, but unfortunately I only speak English.

I would love it if all the puzzles were possible to skip and it had some influence on the story when the character did nothing and simply adventured through the world. Would be amazing if there was an adventure game where all you did was interact with things. Made so wherever you click the character would interact with stuff. There would be puzzles, but forcing you to do any of them shouldn't be an option.

It might be different from what you're talking about, but The Last Express was a fantastic adventure game where time would progress regardless of your actions. It was possible to skip certain actions, or miss important conversations, but the game would react certain ways depending on what you did or didn't do (for an early example, if you don't manage to hide the body of a murdered colleague before the train you're on gets to a certain stop, the police would find it and you would be accused of his murder causing the game to end). It's an awesome game, and it's available on GOG if you wanted to check it out.

Not to mention conversations would be different depending on what you've done or who you've met previously. For example if you find all the information on the german arms dealer you have a different conversation when you "part ways" with him, if you ignored that whole subplot and you as the player didn't figure it out then your character doesn't and said conversation doesn't happen. Man, I'm still finding new things in The Last Express with every playthrough, did you know you can drink from a glass in your bathroom? I love that game so much!

Really feel like the episode quality is constantly going up. this was one of the "if not the" best episodes and one of my favorites.

Im kinda sad that more kickstarters arent doing documentaries and those that are, they arent really on the same quality level and scope as these by 2player.

There are other kickstarters doing great stuff out there, not all of them have a budget to make a documentary.

Look at Tex Murphy, even actors are doing their stuff. Dreamfall are doing their thing also.

They need efficiency, it's great to have a documentary "from zero to a game", but most people can't make that.

This was a "let's make a game from zero with Schafer and even Gilbert (I want to see of him in the next episode)", even Doublefine is having budget problems.

There is a lot of man-hours in doing some pre-production.

This game was "from zero to a game", it isn't the case for most of games.

You can't ask for everyone the same.

If Tim had kept the mustache he would be a passable Mario. :)

Great episode everybody and the game is looking great too. Can't wait for the next one!

Perhaps I missed it, but could someone tell me who the music was from at the end of this episode?

Sign in to follow this