Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 8: "Adventure Games Are Not Dead"

Perhaps I missed it, but could someone tell me who the music was from at the end of this episode?

That's Terence Lee, aka Lifeformed. He also did the soundtrack to Dustforce, which is an amazingly fun game with amazing music!

Perhaps I missed it, but could someone tell me who the music was from at the end of this episode?

That's Terence Lee, aka Lifeformed. He also did the soundtrack to Dustforce, which is an amazingly fun game with amazing music!

Thanks! I thought the style seemed very familiar as I have some other music from him. Thanks again.

Cool episode. I especially liked the part where the dev spoke about the old Playstation trick, mapping little 3D details to 2D backdrop models.

Good game development is full of these little tricks that look great or do lots, but have little overhead. It's what makes a great game stand out from an average one and is the reason i like game making docs and diaries, great to learn the little tricks of the trade.

(P.S. cleared Brutal Legend on PC this week. it was great, 10/10)

Brilliant episode, all! You guys weren't exaggerating- it was perfect! Such a nice comeback from the climax in episode 7!

Also, the game looks absolutely beautiful. I know we've all told you that before, but just wanted to reaffirm it. Love the 2D painted art within a 3D world.

I really think it's cool that Amnesia Fortnight backers get access to another whole 11 episode series (like a spin-off of a successful show!). Can't wait to watch the wrap up episode! For anyone who didn't get the AF, definitely check it out- just for the documentaries alone.

Finally, Brutal Legend released to the PC was a stroke of genius! Everyone needs to buy it now! It'll go towards Reds!

(Btw- I always thought the limitation to another BL re-release was getting the rights to all the music- but guess not. Anyways, yes I agree with Justin's theory whole heartedly- games on PC are better- you can see so much more detail, lots of more multiplayer, and it can be patched almost on demand!)

Great episode. At last we managed to get a brief look to some to how the game looks, as well to certain aspects of the gameplay. However, I had to questions for the REDS developers?

1) The character animation, such as parts movement (face, expressions, arms) seems quite awkward, while charecter movement/walking is not so smooth and gives the impression of character floating over the backgrounds? . Is this because of the eraly stage of the game? Will it be fixed later on?

2) From the cloud colony playthrough footage displayed in this episode, the impression I got, is that backgrounds are quite static and not very detailed. Will this be fixed later on?

3) Finally characters does not seem to really "breath". In certain cases they gave me the impression that they are integrated in the backgrounds. Perhaps, the coloring used for them (especially for the girl) has enhanced this feeling, but they are certain scenes for example the scenes at 31:50 and 32:50, which gave me this impression a lot. Especially at the 32:50, this is very conspicuous, regarding the character hlding the tree stick on the right.

Can anyone explain what was that Metal Gear thing towards the end of the chapter? I'm not an native english speaker and I didn't understand well (subtitles would be great!).

I believe he was referring to the insane bursts of exposition that are common to the Metal Gear Solid games.

Now we can finally figure out the real reason for Tims shave: The 2PP guys needed a way to visually distinguish between retrospective and new events in the documentary ;)

I can't tell if I'm just failing to detect possible super-sarcasm in Chris' reply, but I thought the joke was that Brad thought the NPCs in Reds were giving him lots of exposition and he was only able to respond with short / single-word answers; much like you do in the Metal Gear series where someone yammers on for a minute or two and Snake simply says, "...Shagohod?"

I think the copious amounts of exposition in the MG games is reason enough to reference it there.

That's what I was going to ask. It seemed like a reference done because of the overexposition topic, that much I understood, but I wasn't hundred percent sure. Nonetheless, hey, I find it a lot more fun if it was just gratuitous.

Then again, a Swedish fjord isn't really that exciting.

Regards, a Norwegian.

I've got a few beers ready and I'm ready to watch. I'm curious to see how things have progressed after last episode.

**edit**

I'm 2 minutes in and my early prediction is that double fine have been able to save the game by shaving off Tim's beard and selling it in little jars

DFA is becoming one of the most inspiring stories I've ever experienced. Thank you so much, Reds & TPP! :)

(Skimming through the text before watching the episode)

...and Tim will have daily signing sessions.

Got it, Tim will have daily singing sessions. :)

Nice episode, thanks. :)

I had some good laughs as Tim always cracks me up even if I'm in my most somber mood. However, I felt it fell short on the information side after a so long hiatus. Can't remember me thinking like that after the earlier episodes.

Edit: And what model is that juicer? Looks like a monster that ate even the most brutal of cucumbers.

I'm really loving the look of the game from the little teasing snippets that we get to see.

Juice! Cars! Romero! Shaving!

OMGlookatthatgorgeous art & animation

There is a lot going on, and it's all epic. I love it.

There are no fjords in Sweden!

Technically there are... just look on google maps. They might not be listed as fjords, but compared to the Norwegian fjords Sweden has a few areas along their coast that basically does the same thing.

However I'm interested in learning what they are if not Fjords...

We only have rivers in Sweden, no fjords unfortunately! If you want fjords, you have to go to Norway, Greenland or New Zealand.

There are no fjords in Sweden!

Technically there are... just look on google maps. They might not be listed as fjords, but compared to the Norwegian fjords Sweden has a few areas along their coast that basically does the same thing.

However I'm interested in learning what they are if not Fjords...

We only have rivers in Sweden, no fjords unfortunately! If you want fjords, you have to go to Norway, Greenland or New Zealand.

It all depends on the definition of the word "fjord". Depending on the language/country the term is even used for narrow inlets or even in fact rivers.

But yeah - In general I would say Norway have fjords, not sweden.

(Lol try a google picture search for "swedish fjords" and all the results you get are pictures of norwegian fjords :))

Very enjoyable episode, everything's looking great.

Here's just another post to pump some sunshine! Loved the update and totally SQUEALED like a girl when I saw the colored-in spaceship. (Of course I am a girl, so it didn't compromise my masculinity)

This is going to be bad ass. I am going to go throw more money at you now.

Awesome update guys, and thanks for letting us into your world :) also want to mention that the music for these videos at the start and end is in my head for the rest of the day... and humming it is just a side effect...

PS @tim sorry for making you angry :( or its at least hard to know/portray how one feels in 140 characters...

This episode took me from really enjoying the documentary and insight that it brings to extremely excited for the game. It looks stunning already. And kudos on dramatically giving two episodes filled with massive problems for the game, months of silence, then a big reveal showing that everything's ok now. You guys know how to build unintentional tension. ;)

Thanks for another entertaining episode. :o)

That car ride looked like fun, well, if you were prepared for it. It's always a lot better driving a bit crazy on your own instead of just driving with someone else. Reminds me of one drive in winter with lot's of sliding.

Do there exist some stats about how much money went into the production (and which fields) of the game so far?

Most characters looked cute in the game. Does there exist a version of the game (level) which curious people also can test?

amazing episode, really gorgeous art! cannot wait to finally play this game.

and as much as i hate to correct tim schafer, but sweden does not have any fjords. thats norway. and i know how swedes are when something from norway is confused with their country ...

Finally, Brutal Legend released to the PC was a stroke of genius! Everyone needs to buy it now! It'll go towards Reds!

(Btw- I always thought the limitation to another BL re-release was getting the rights to all the music- but guess not. Anyways, yes I agree with Justin's theory whole heartedly- games on PC are better- you can see so much more detail, lots of more multiplayer, and it can be patched almost on demand!)

My understanding was generally that EA canned BL2 because it didn't sell as well as Dead Space. EA added and created new IPs at the time to foster new franchises, and according to them Brutal Legend fell short of their mark. Which was stupid on their part, because A) F*cking METAL!! B) Cult following!! and C) pleasing shareholders in the short term is not a good long-term business plan.

Ok some one of the people in the video brought up a really good point about the game and I've thought this for a long time but I could never really put it into a cohesive thought why I thought it was strange. Now as some what of a disclaimer id like to just say I love the art of the game. I think its beautiful and I hope you continue to do it like this. But whit that said, I have to agree with Chris Remo at 34:00 where he says that because of the style everything kinda just blend together so its hard to tell sometimes what the background and whats the foreground and where you should click or can click and what the hot spots are.

Other than that its looking awesome, just try to distinguish the clickable areas from... everything else lol. I know some people are gonna see this comment and say "well thats one of the great things about point and click, you don't know what you can click, so you gotta figure it out." and I would disagree with that. It's not that you don't know what you can click. It's that you don't know WHY you should click it, so sometimes if you feel the task your performing at that moment wont be solved by using that particular object you usually wont click it but then it turns out you did need it or some obscure reason that still manages to make since.

Ok some one of the people in the video brought up a really good point about the game and I've thought this for a long time but I could never really put it into a cohesive thought why I thought it was strange. Now as some what of a disclaimer id like to just say I love the art of the game. I think its beautiful and I hope you continue to do it like this. But whit that said, I have to agree with Chris Remo at 34:00 where he says that because of the style everything kinda just blend together so its hard to tell sometimes what the background and whats the foreground and where you should click or can click and what the hot spots are.

Other than that its looking awesome, just try to distinguish the clickable areas from... everything else lol. I know some people are gonna see this comment and say "well thats one of the great things about point and click, you don't know what you can click, so you gotta figure it out." and I would disagree with that. It's not that you don't know what you can click. It's that you don't know WHY you should click it, so sometimes if you feel the task your performing at that moment wont be solved by using that particular object you usually wont click it but then it turns out you did need it or some obscure reason that still manages to make since.

One of the few things that used to bug me about the oldschool adventures was the fact that that hotspot areas looked artificially added after the the scene was created, completely out of place with the whole scene. So you knew immediately as you entered an area that the spade which doesn't look right was something you need to pick up.

Each to their own I guess but i hope they don't change it.

One of the few things that used to bug me about the oldschool adventures was the fact that that hotspot areas looked artificially added after the the scene was created, completely out of place with the whole scene. So you knew immediately as you entered an area that the spade which doesn't look right was something you need to pick up.

Each to their own I guess but i hope they don't change it.

It seems like one solution could be to just have it so that the cursor changes when you're on a clickable thing. Then you can tell the difference between walking and interacting. But I don't know how well this would work for touch devices, so maybe they would need their own solution.

Sign in to follow this