Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Egypt Urnash

ep 8: a bit of unsolicited animation critique

Maximus the horse from Tangled. His "1 frame head turns" totally made his character.

Except he didn't have 1 frame head turns, and that's not what we're talking about. The problem is not the speed of transition, but rather the lack thereof. The early lumberjack anims had some snappy head turns, but they still had actual momentum to them, instead of just skipping the animation entirely.

It's not a huge deal, but the OP's criticism is totally valid if that video in any way represents finished animation.

Noticed this too. It did bother me a bit, not quite as much as Egypt, but it definitely felt closer to "annoyance" than "style" for me. Made me worry for the girl's long-term chiropractic safety :)

I saw someone above say that the artwork wasn't up to par of what was expected. I just have to ask, how is that possible? Tim asked us for $400k. $100k was for 2PP. For $300k, we were probably looking at getting something on par with the original Monkey Island. For me, this has far exceeded my expectation of what I was getting for my contribution. The artwork isn't something I would have created (which is better for all of us, trust me) but I have faith in this company to give us something fun. And point-and-click. I'm not going to finish this game and go, man.. what a fantastic story. What an experience. But you know what dampened things? This 1-frame head turn. =) .. Just trying to lighten the mood a bit.

Also, in one of the more recent episodes - it may have been the one before last - there was talk about Tim not liking the way the girl turned. I would imagine attention is being paid to every little bit of animation. If it's there in the finished product, you can bet that it is there because stylistically they liked it.

I saw someone above say that the artwork wasn't up to par of what was expected. I just have to ask, how is that possible? Tim asked us for $400k. $100k was for 2PP. For $300k, we were probably looking at getting something on par with the original Monkey Island.

Because the expectations aren't based on hypothetical alternate universe scenarios. It's not like they had a specific game in mind for $300,000 and then expanded it to match the budge. They literally created this idea from scratch with the 2.3 million dollar budget in mind, so people's expectations are based on THAT, as well they should be.

Had this only made the original goal, it would be a completely different game, with a completely different story, and a completely different engine, look, everything. There was no "Broken Age" when they launched the KS. The idea was to come up with a game AFTER they had the money. That's why there weren't the specific stretch goals you see with other campaigns.

As a developer, I appreciate feedback as soon as possible. I'd rather get suggestions/feedback/defects/bugs that I've already addressed than hearing at the end: "I figured you'd fix that."

You see it, you don't like it, report it.

Make no assumptions, what you see now can very well be what you get in the end. Don't assume anything more than what has been delivered or described. They were made this way for a reason: either as a placeholder, or a style, or as something to generate feedback.

Just keep it positive, maybe it IS intended to be this way. Give suggestions on "their best work so far" and you can't go wrong.

Feedback is good, even and sometimes especially early feedback, but the trouble with early feedback is that it's harder to tell whether your comments are useful or not at this point or whether you're jumping the gun. That's fine though, no harm in giving unnecessary feedback.

As for this particular thing, in the latest Game trailers short video posted in the DF / 2PP forum, there's a shot of a head turn that looks pretty smooth to me. Has the animation changed since we last saw it?

Feedback is good, even and sometimes especially early feedback, but the trouble with early feedback is that it's harder to tell whether your comments are useful or not at this point or whether you're jumping the gun. That's fine though, no harm in giving unnecessary feedback.

I'd rather hear it than not. Nothing I like better than going into the bug tracking system and marking something "Completed" or "Not a bug" because I already fixed it. Don't worry how your feedback is considered (useful or not), just give it. Even the best ideas given as feedback can be deemed "not useful" (in the submitter's POV) because a decision to go another way has already been made. It all matters though!

I'd rather hear it than not. Nothing I like better than going into the bug tracking system and marking something "Completed" or "Not a bug" because I already fixed it. Don't worry how your feedback is considered (useful or not), just give it. Even the best ideas given as feedback can be deemed "not useful" (in the submitter's POV) because a decision to go another way has already been made. It all matters though!

It can depend though. Like I'm in the middle of releasing an alpha of my current project to certain people, and right now we're looking for a very specific kind of feedback regarding how clear certain interface elements are, how they are experiencing particular mechanics and a few other things. It's not that other feedback isn't welcome, it's just that if we gave our alpha people a completely blank sheet for feedback, we might not capture the things that we really want to know about at this point.

But I suppose that's kind of a different situation to this here, where no feedback is specifically expected, but we're in the position to give it.

It can depend though. Like I'm in the middle of releasing an alpha of my current project to certain people, and right now we're looking for a very specific kind of feedback regarding how clear certain interface elements are, how they are experiencing particular mechanics and a few other things. It's not that other feedback isn't welcome, it's just that if we gave our alpha people a completely blank sheet for feedback, we might not capture the things that we really want to know about at this point.

But I suppose that's kind of a different situation to this here, where no feedback is specifically expected, but we're in the position to give it.

Word.

Sign in to follow this