Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Production Update #5: A Production Update!

Does anyone knows what the acronyms NS and WIP stand for?

Moreover Greg, what is the color code you use?

For example Done is usually in green background, but I see also a red Done.

NS is in pink but there also some red NSs

The same applies with WIP which appears in both yellow and red backgrounds.

I'd be keen to know this too. My best guess would be that NS is short for Not Started, and WIP is Work In Progress. Most likely colour indicates whether stuff is behind schedule, or perhaps it indicates critical path?

Thanks, for NS I imagined the same, however I am not an native english speaker, so I couldn't work out WIP.

(Note: each line is a different character or environment, but the names of each have been removed. Also, there are more characters and environments in the game than this, these are just the ones we're focusing on for now)

And yet there are already more characters here than in all of Monkey Island 2! If you're cutting down on something, it doesn't look like it will be dialogue... :-)

(Note: each line is a different character or environment, but the names of each have been removed. Also, there are more characters and environments in the game than this, these are just the ones we're focusing on for now)

And yet there are already more characters here than in all of Monkey Island 2! If you're cutting down on something, it doesn't look like it will be dialogue... :-)

Unless they are mute characters ;-)

Is Wii U one of the targeted devices?
Making a Wii U game would require buying a license. Maybe after the game comes out they'll port it, but I'd rather they use their money finishing the game for now.

Hey Greg,

I am a PM as well; mostly on large MM corporate projects. A lot of focus, in relation to DFA, is on creative. But I would love a section on your take on PM / PMO activities at DF. Project management is essential, but not as sexy as art, story or code. Any chance you can share the love from a PM side of things? How do you cope with scope creep, budgets, scheduling, sprints, methodologies? Waterfail (yeah, I said it; I just made that up, too) versus Agile. etc. Shine, brother! Tell us your adventure story! Business/Marketing/Publisher relation perspectives would also be gold. But, of course, only if you want to. I would love to hear about things from your perspective, sir.

With deepest admiration and respect,

Jason, CSM

Oh yes please!

That would be awesome!

Making a Wii U game would require buying a license. Maybe after the game comes out they'll port it, but I'd rather they use their money finishing the game for now.

Given the Ouya guys are touting Reds as a console exclusive I'm guessing there's some kind of deal going on there and Wii/PS/Xbox ports won't be happening in the immediate future

That was a really great update in your edit of the original post, Greg. Very nice! :)

52 characters and 32 locations that we now of... it already looks bigger than waht I imagined...

52 characters and 32 locations that we now of... it already looks bigger than waht I imagined...

So it will be long hopefully. Hope its challenging in terms of puzzles as well!

Interesting look into the progress! I notice that some I noticed that in the second column there is a character that is all done apart from being put in game, but its all red? Is that because its an important character to get finished?

Given the Ouya guys are touting Reds as a console exclusive I'm guessing there's some kind of deal going on there and Wii/PS/Xbox ports won't be happening in the immediate future

Thanks for the reply, it's a bit of a shame as I reckon it could do well on the Wii U because of the style/game type would appeal to that audience a lot - I also asked because I could see an Ouya controller and a 360 in the picture (plus what I assume is an iPad, an Android tablet and phone?). Guess I'll stick with the pc version then.

I'd be keen to know this too. My best guess would be that NS is short for Not Started, and WIP is Work In Progress. Most likely colour indicates whether stuff is behind schedule, or perhaps it indicates critical path?

Thanks, for NS I imagined the same, however I am not an native english speaker, so I couldn't work out WIP.

I had the same questions. As for why some of them are dark red, even one that says "done" in every box, I'm not sure. Perhaps these characters/areas have been cut?

I had the same questions. As for why some of them are dark red, even one that says "done" in every box, I'm not sure. Perhaps these characters/areas have been cut?

I doubt it means cut.

One interpretation is green=working, yellow=almost working, red=stop/broken/cut

But when I've made color coded spreadsheets for work in the past, our system was always something like green=happy, yellow=happy soon, red=OMG SOMEONE PLEASE FINISH THIS LIKE NOW.

Thanks for the update! :)

Also would like to know what NS and the colors exactly stand for.

Thanks for the reply, it's a bit of a shame as I reckon it could do well on the Wii U because of the style/game type would appeal to that audience a lot - I also asked because I could see an Ouya controller and a 360 in the picture (plus what I assume is an iPad, an Android tablet and phone?). Guess I'll stick with the pc version then.

The thing about closed console platforms is that we can't simply decide to publish on them. Proprietary consoles (Xbox, PlayStation, Wii) have multiple levels of gatekeepers and expense you need to get through--you need to be an approved developer on those platforms, you need proprietary development kits, you usually need a separate approved publisher (depending on the specifics of the platform and channel), and you need to pay fairly costly fees for licensing and deployment. On the other hand, with more open platforms like PC/Mac/Linux (for our purposes, these are essentially fully open from a dev standpoint) or relatively open platforms like mobile and Ouya (which is just a particular distribution of Android), the development environments are free or have a negligible cost. We know we aren't going to have to face any extreme gatekeeper barriers or onerous licensing fees, so it's possible for us to target them for development fairly confidently as an independent developer without a publisher. Obviously there are still general development risks, as there are with any game project, but the risks are inherent to the project itself, not incumbent on outside imposed limitations or fees.

Of course we still love developing for traditional console platforms, but doing so is quite expensive and complex on the business and licensing side. If Reds ever does end up on those systems, it will probably be because the game does well on these other platforms, which opens up new opportunities.

@ChrisRemo Are the downloadable stores for these platforms (XBLA, PSN, eShop) any different? I know the cave launched on those. Was this thanks to Sega's involvement?

@ChrisRemo Are the downloadable stores for these platforms (XBLA, PSN, eShop) any different? I know the cave launched on those. Was this thanks to Sega's involvement?

Yeah, I mean you gotta pay a license fee(not for wii u I think) and need to give them the game a month in advance for testing.

These events mark the start of a more traditional PR campaign for the game. So you can expect to see us talking about the game more openly in the public with things like name reveals, screenshots, trailers, and even previews from press on the game over the next few months.
Does this mean that the games actual name will be revealed soon? That will help clear up the Cave confusion, plus I am really curious. I also would love to see that "box art" Tim envisioned back in episode 2 (or was it 3) with the two characters leaning against the tree.

Like i asked in the other thread already, can you share any stats about where we are budget related? Is the Kickstarter money already gone? How much is left? Which aspects costed most of the budget so far? ...
So far we've spent around $1,650,000 on Reds. About $250,000 was on the first round of rewards and the rest was the game and documentary. So there's definitely still a good chunk left. It's just looking like we're going to go a bit longer than the total will take us.

Interesting look into the progress! I notice that some I noticed that in the second column there is a character that is all done apart from being put in game, but its all red? Is that because its an important character to get finished?
That's actually a cut character! It just marks it all as complete when you cut it.

NS is not started and WIP is work in progress! Sorry, should have made that clear!

These events mark the start of a more traditional PR campaign for the game. So you can expect to see us talking about the game more openly in the public with things like name reveals, screenshots, trailers, and even previews from press on the game over the next few months.
Does this mean that the games actual name will be revealed soon? That will help clear up the Cave confusion, plus I am really curious. I also would love to see that "box art" Tim envisioned back in episode 2 (or was it 3) with the two characters leaning against the tree.
Stay tuned...

Yep, Sega was the publisher of The Cave so they were principally able to determine what platforms we shipped on. The stores definitely all have their own different policies and costs, but the underlying model is essentially the same.

Really like how communicative you guys are being, know that we love you and have faith in your genius.

Also it's nice to see a whole bunch of work is completed. I know you try not to give us spoilers, so you show us very little gameplay in the video updates.

Not sure if it's just me but it did make me feel a little concerned about the length of the game. Hopefully it'll have replayability like The Cave.

That being said, looks like you got a nice chunk of content there!

That's actually a cut character! It just marks it all as complete when you cut it.

Ah cool thanks Greg! Shame to have to cut the character, but its part and parcel of the content trimming mentioned last episode I suppose!

@DF Greg

Thanks, interesting to know and a little bit surprising as the episodes somehow gave the impression that more of the budget was spent already.

Ooh, pretty table. I like to think every one of those is a single backer. Obscure reference time: "And the sheet was full of green cells, and every cell a happy backer — one of ours."

NS is not started and WIP is work in progress!

I was hoping it didn't stand for Nathan Stapley. :D

Sign in to follow this