Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

I guess I'll put in my two cents -

The Weighing of Souls

Ultimately, whose hands do the fates of these two adventurers belong to? Yours.

I got one:

Twin Fandango!

Wahahahaha

It does feel like most of the titles in the survey are geared towards what we know of Sacrifice Girl's story. Small Offerings seemed to be the best fit of what was offered, but I still don't know how if it's The Right Option.

"None of the Above" is a weird game title.

I decided to take it seriously and actually like it ^^ And it fits! The main characters are not satisfied with anything their current situation has to offer.

I voted for "Broken Age" and submitted "Ceremony of Schism".

Kind of worried about the titles for voting, none of them are as exciting as Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Brutal Legend, or Psychonauts. The Cut sounds too much like The Act, though I did like the suggestion of The Fault (from somebody on twitter).

I haven't made it through the entire thread so I don't know if my name has been suggested but I didn't really like any of the available options. I submitted "The Great Divide" as a name. I know someone else posted just "The Divide" but I like the added Great due to it having significance in meaning as a continental shift. It's the point where things have broken apart and the two pieces now begin to travel their separate ways.

OH! Separate Ways! I'm going to go submit that now.

i voted "none of the above" i don't know... none of the names striked me like "THIS IS IT!" but i like "worlds apart" someone mentioned it earlier on the thread.

Didn't like any of the chooises. So I went with my own.

Life Rift

The Rift

World Rift

A Rift of time

Age of Rift

I think Rift is a good word.

I think Small Offerings has a really nice ring to it, but I also suggested "Sundered" "Faultline" and "Two Steps Forward"

Wow, why is naming things always so difficult? I agree with the sentiment that most of the suggestions in the survey eventually didn't really resonate with me. After thinking about it for a while, I came up with Broken Fate, which is actually quite similar to Broken Age, so I voted for that. I think these titles would fit well on the box cover that Tim described in one of the first documentary episodes.

I chose Young Monsters and supplied my own as well: Disentangled

Edit: Which means being from entanglement or having unravelled or worked something out, e.g. an adventure game!

Not a fan of any of the choices so I wrote in my own:

Worlds Apart

It's a well known idiom which anyone would recognize and yet it is unique enough to not get cluttered in a google search. No other media seems to have claimed it, other than a Danish art movie, some tv episode titles and (of course) as part of the title of the one true Journey song. Best of all, it encapsulates the game (two people from two very different worlds) and it has a nice poetic jazz to its business.

ed: actually its been suggested a bunch, hey great minds think alike.

I have a lot of trouble naming my own work. Even when the creations themselves are pouring out of me, coming up with names that encapsulate them in a satisfying way can leave me stumped for a long, long time.

I chose "Broken Age" because it sounds like it's more relevant the larger themes of the story.

Also added these funktaculous ideas:

Ouroboros

Tandemonium

Twoheart

Anathemania

Back to Back

Timeliners

The Sunset of Age

New Yesterdays

Double Time (LOLL!!!!11!)

I eagerly await my Double Fine wage packet for services rendered.

It does feel like most of the titles in the survey are geared towards what we know of Sacrifice Girl's story. Small Offerings seemed to be the best fit of what was offered, but I still don't know how if it's The Right Option.
I was thinking the same thing. I ended up voting for Broken Age just because it seemed to fit both storylines. I don't know if you capitalized The Right Option on purpose, but that would be a decent title actually. I myself suggested Of Monsters and Spaceships.

I seriously voted for "None of the Above" - I think it is by far the best title in that, it's not generic sounding, it's different, and it sounds like the most thoughtful and philosophic name.

Anyway, here's what I quickly came up with:

Another, Vastly Controlled, Space in Between, Possibility & Power, The Two Stories, The Adventure of Destiny, Where Monsters Come From.

My suggestion? Amazing Extreme Adventures of the Intrepid Duo Traversing Universal InterPlanetary Space.

See now I went for for Super Happy Fun Time Game, but yours is a better title

Worlds Apart

That was actually a really good one based on what we know about the game.

i LOVE that one

edit: second vote goes for "none of the above" (literally)

My first thought was Growing Apart, at least two other people have suggested this.

The boy is hacking a computer and the girl is fighting a monster so Hack n' Slash would be good, but sadly this name is taken by another game...

Coming of Rage (may already be in use)

Flights of Fancy

Minor Rebellion

Crossing Over

The Crossing

Cross

The word 'cross' seems to resonate with this game for me.

The girl is crossing the ravine (I assume) and the children are crossing over into adulthood. The boy's mother will be cross with him and girl may cross swords with the monsters.

I've suggested Minor Crossing in the survey. Notice the double meaning.

My suggestion? Amazing Extreme Adventures of the Intrepid Duo Traversing Universal InterPlanetary Space.

See now I went for for Super Happy Fun Time Game, but yours is a better title

I literally almost suggested that.

I suggested "Schism" in the poll.

I thought there already might be a game like that, but a quick glance at google didn't turn up anything.

It seems to me the definition of the word fits the plot of the game quite snugly :)

I voted for Broken Age.

My (creative?) suggestion was "DEAD DRIFTS" ( as in "Dead Ends", you know... :-p ).

NECKBEARD MODE ON: Id go for "Fractal Cut" suggesting the recurring pattern of growing up.

or... Apples & Oranges. when kids think that their childhood so fundamentally different from the ones of the adults.

or... On Spaceships and Monsters.

or... Lighthouse Monsters. refers to the haunted lighthouse on the moon and of course the lure of adventure and its dangers.

or... Double Dragon!!! ...wait somebody used that already :)))

EDIT: been thinking about it a bit more and im liking Apples & Oranges and Lighthouse Monsters more and more. they even ring of double fine a lot, and that is extremely important. and Apples & Oranges have so many more interpretations appropriate for what we know about REDS, holy beardman!

I also seriously voted for None of the Above. It's catchy, funny and different. But above all, it explains perfectly how main characters chose to grow up outside the boundaries established by their own society.

I can't imagine hitting on a name that fits when really we know so little about the tone of the dialogue and the characters etc.

Some words that might be useful as points of reference could be...

Wanderlust

Family

Exploration

Discovery

Serendipity

Resistance

Enlightenment

I'll be honest. I think Reds is a horrible working title and i don't like any of the suggestions either. It kind of reminds me of the episode where Tim Schafer is thinking about tons of names for Grim Fandango and all sound somehow bland or wrong until, well until, he comes up with the right one, Grim Fandango. This right one is still missing here. From those mentioned The Cut sounds like the most concise one but i don't know how much it fits as you normally are going more through transitions and a barber often springs to mind.

Speaking of Grim Fandango, i also would have prefered if the DFA would have been a more mature game like Grim Fandango was more mature than DOTT. There are tons of games dealing with more younger people and the problems they have to deal with but only a few look at things from more grown ups perspectives. It seems like video games generally have their problems with recognising that a certain percentage of the gamers also got older, went through the ups and downs life has to offer and evolved during those decades. Grim Fandango once stood out because it wasn't just the more typical teenager slapstick experience.

And whilst i'm at it, the third thing i don't like is the female character, she looks bland to me and doesn't get me excited. A foreign planet or a parallel universe but still one head, two legs, two arms, that's somehow boring as it's always the same. As for humanoids, there were better suggestions once in the sketches. Btw. i hope the blob shadows get tweaked for the final version because they stood out and looked odd in the latest episode.

Anyway so much for some critics. I don't regret backing the game at all and welcome the game once it is ready but i simply would have prefered a different direction.

I suggested "Schism" in the poll.

I thought there already might be a game like that, but a quick glance at google didn't turn up anything.

It seems to me the definition of the word fits the plot of the game quite snugly :)

There is an adventure game with almost that name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizm:_Mysterious_Journey

They also made a sequel. Great games although puzzle heavy if I remember correctly.

Sign in to follow this