Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

I just voted for "The Cut", but decided to make a suggestion: Kairos (wikipedia link)

First couple of sentences from Wikipedia about the Greek word:

Kairos (καιρός) is an ancient Greek word meaning the right or opportune moment (the supreme moment). The ancient Greeks had two words for time, chronos and kairos. While the former refers to chronological or sequential time, the latter signifies a time between, a moment of indeterminate time in which something special happens.

After the trademark issues surrounding Trenched/Iron Brigade I think this one is out just because there's a first person puzzle game (generally lumped together with adventure) that was released late last year titled Kairo.

I'd also like to say that "None of the Above" is growing on me for a game about two people unwilling to accept their fate who decide to do something about it.

I've not read every post here, they're coming too fast! But... I like a lot of suggestions, particularly 'The Divide'.

I voted for 'Small Offerings', it sounds kind of unique and interesting.

My suggestion; A Tale of Two Monsters

I just voted for "The Cut", but decided to make a suggestion: Kairos (wikipedia link)

First couple of sentences from Wikipedia about the Greek word:

Kairos (καιρός) is an ancient Greek word meaning the right or opportune moment (the supreme moment). The ancient Greeks had two words for time, chronos and kairos. While the former refers to chronological or sequential time, the latter signifies a time between, a moment of indeterminate time in which something special happens.

After the trademark issues surrounding Trenched/Iron Brigade I think this one is out just because there's a first person puzzle game (generally lumped together with adventure) that was released late last year titled Kairo.

I'd also like to say that "None of the Above" is growing on me for a game about two people unwilling to accept their fate who decide to do something about it.

I know, it really is growing on me too. Two people who are trapped in circumstances they don't like, basically discovering the 'none of the above option' and going off on adventures. Also, on the start screen with the 2 characters, you could pick 'none of the above' to quit ;)

Hm, I'm not sure; I don't like any of the titles. My suggestion would be

They Meet at Infinity

Somehow, I think that the most important question is this: How are the boy and the girl connected to each other? Why two separate stories? Will they ever meet? What is the meaning of this? Tim probably knows the answer, but I don't, so I thought that a good title might be to allude to the notion of parallel lines from geometry and to the fact that it is ambiguous whether they meet at infinity or not.

(I hope that the option "None of the Above" in the poll means that none of the options appeal to me. :))

I'm not particularly crazy about any of the titles in the poll. So, with a nod to Sinatra's My way, how about "Much More Than This"...? :)

Maybe something with Boundary, that's a good word, since it's about personal limits as well as physical space that gets broken.

Just brainstorming here:

Boundaries.

At The Boundary.

Boundary Issues.

Beyond the Boundary.

Unbound (I like this one here; maybe a little close to Ridge Racer Unbounded? Hm)

Broken Boundaries.

Or something about borders.

Border Control.

Breaking Borders.

Broken Borders.

Dunno! I feel like there's a name somewhere around here trying to peek out, and when it surfaces maybe it'll be obvious. Maybe not.

I would say I encourage everyone to go crazy with suggestions, even if they're not sure. One suggestion might spark an idea in someone else, so it's no use keeping quiet about it, even if you think it's not 'the one' :)

I don't like any of the poll options. Hopefully there will be a new poll that will include some of the very good ideas from this thread.

I'm sorry, but I really feel that I need to push this title -

New Awakenings

It signifies the Kickstarter, a new way to fund games, and it also signifies the two characters being awakened in the story.

I'm sorry, but I really feel that I need to push this title -

New Awakenings

It signifies the Kickstarter, a new way to fund games, and it also signifies the two characters being awakened in the story.

You only suggested it 5 or 6 comments ago. Maybe let it sit a while... if people like it they'll catch onto it. I think it's fine, but I don't like it as much as some of the other suggestions I've seen. It's a little bit of a mouthful. It could just be Awakenings, I guess.

hey all, so far of all the suggestions I like the Divide as well as Worlds Apart the most since they both attempt to describe the set up of the game as a whole.

Other ideas I had were either: Betwixt or similiarly Between. My thinking was that as a player you are situated in a space between the 2 characters, annnd, each character is situated in between childhood and adulthood, referencing the coming of age nature of the narrative.

I'm not sure either of those ideas are the answer, but I do think it be cool if the title could have that kind of double meaning, referencing the gameplay design in relation to the player, as well as the narrative structure in relation to the 2 main characters.

my 2 cents

To be honest I don't mind the title, but I loved juggling with some titles too, like many others today.

The Cut rings best in my ears.

My puny offerings are:

The Break

Bite Me (as in I'm taking my own future in hand now)

Step

The Great Divide

Guide Me (The Children lost in choices of life, looking to the adventurers (us) for guidance).

Funny that I hadn't read any of the posts, before I brainstormed these titles, and Divide keeps popping up on many.

But trust your gut, Tim as we trust in your ability to bring us one hell of a great Adventure.

I think sometimes the best names are ones that don't really have a lot to do with the story or characters directly, but do a great job of getting across the overall tone or setting of the game. Those sort of names are going to be difficult for us to come up with just because we don't know enough yet.

But, for example there was Full Throttle - nothing to do with the plot, but a great title that suits a more 'metal', grittier adventure than people were used to, and of course the bikes. Then Grim Fandango, which combines two aspects of the setting into a title that rolls pleasingly off the tongue, but doesn't really address the central premise of the game (except in a sideways kinda way, in the context of that poem)

A feeling that I'm getting off a lot of these title ideas is that while I like a lot of them, they feel a little bit 'on the nose,' too (including my own ones!). Sometimes that's fine, like 'Day of the Tentacle' is great - exactly what the game is about and also evokes old, pulpy titles. But I think if it's going to be that direct, it has to be a really very strong title indeed, otherwise it comes across as contrived. I think we should keep suggesting 'em because it's useful brainstorming, but I'm sort of hoping the final title will be something we couldn't have thought of ourselves.

Hey, everybody. I also agreed that "The Cut" is the most evocative of the titles for the game as described.

The title I came up with was:

What We Make It

If my title's good, you could see why I said it in response to Tim's summary. :) Good luck picking the name you all feel is best, Tim & the Reds team!

Voted for Broken Age, but I cannot tell you if it works or not since it isn't my baby. I threw in a couple ideas: Tale of Two Worlds, Tale of Two, Separate Worlds.

After a some thought I voted for "None of the Above" thinking it to be the boy and girl not choosing any of the options presented to them.

Reading the forums, I like The Divide and see it's logo potential but also see it's genericness. I'm not completely attached to it.

I wrote in my own suggestion of : The Shortsighted Future

I was thinking about how the futures put forward for both protagonists are very shortsighted to what they may want. They break free from those predetermined paths and realize that their own shortsightedness caused pain to the ones they care about.

Maybe to tie in the multiple protagonists you could pluralize it to The Shortsighted Futures

Or be SUPER pretentious and add it as a subtitle: Longview: The Shortsighted Futures

Just my two cents...

Edited to better explain what I mean

Hey Dont find any great ideas yet, but The Divide should be avoided in my opinion, that's a location that is part of the Longest Journey universe It's the world that is between Stark and Arcadia, so for me that is a big no go as good as the name is that would be weird for and adventure game to use this title. And while there is the ravine dividing the world of the girl it just is a title that makes it a bit one sided.

Hey Dont find any great ideas yet, but The Divide should be avoided in my opinion, that's a location that is part of the Longest Journey universe It's the world that is between Stark and Arcadia, so for me that is a big no go as good as the name is that would be weird for and adventure game to use this title. And while there is the ravine dividing the world of the girl it just is a title that makes it a bit one sided.

I don't think the title is one sided, because it's about that initial screen, too, the divide of the story, and the divide between teenager and adult, too (and there could be divides in the boy story that we don't know about, I guess). But I do think it's best avoided given the link to The Longest Journey. Shame, 'cause I really liked it as a title.

OK, I had to stop reading after 4 pages but it seems clear that we really need a second poll. There have been some amazing titles suggested so far. It would be good to know a little more about the story but I guess that's where you guys take our thoughts and the poll results and make your own decision, because you know all the deeper themes and everything.

It might also be good if we could vote for up to 3 choices instead of just 1. I think you'd get more information from a poll that allows that.

So far I have to second all of these:

Broken Monsters

Worlds Apart

Anywhere Else

None of the Above

but especially these:

The Quandary

The Divide

Duality

I think that the fact of two main characters is what will really separate this game from others in the genre and it would be best if that could make it into the title somehow.

Things I thought of while reading:

Twin Fates

Escaping Fate

Escape Velocity

Dual Escape

And finally,

Multiple Choice

It has all the advantages of "None of the Above" but is also shorter, less confusing, and also evokes the multiple characters theme.

OK, I had to stop reading after 4 pages but it seems clear that we really need a second poll. There have been some amazing titles suggested so far. It would be good to know a little more about the story but I guess that's where you guys take our thoughts and the poll results and make your own decision, because you know all the deeper themes and everything.

It might also be good if we could vote for up to 3 choices instead of just 1. I think you'd get more information from a poll that allows that.

So far I have to second all of these:

Broken Monsters

Worlds Apart

Anywhere Else

None of the Above

but especially these:

The Quandary

The Divide

Duality

I think that the fact of two main characters is what will really separate this game from others in the genre and it would be best if that could make it into the title somehow.

Things I thought of while reading:

Twin Fates

Escaping Fate

Escape Velocity

Dual Escape

And finally,

Multiple Choice

It has all the advantages of "None of the Above" but is also shorter, less confusing, and also evokes the multiple characters theme.

Quite fond of Escape Velocity, out those lot. Is relevant to both stories, evoking some of the elements of both without being TOO 'see what I did there?'

I think sometimes the best names are ones that don't really have a lot to do with the story or characters directly, but do a great job of getting across the overall tone or setting of the game. Those sort of names are going to be difficult for us to come up with just because we don't know enough yet.

But, for example there was Full Throttle - nothing to do with the plot, but a great title that suits a more 'metal', grittier adventure than people were used to, and of course the bikes. Then Grim Fandango, which combines two aspects of the setting into a title that rolls pleasingly off the tongue, but doesn't really address the central premise of the game (except in a sideways kinda way, in the context of that poem)

A feeling that I'm getting off a lot of these title ideas is that while I like a lot of them, they feel a little bit 'on the nose,' too (including my own ones!). Sometimes that's fine, like 'Day of the Tentacle' is great - exactly what the game is about and also evokes old, pulpy titles. But I think if it's going to be that direct, it has to be a really very strong title indeed, otherwise it comes across as contrived. I think we should keep suggesting 'em because it's useful brainstorming, but I'm sort of hoping the final title will be something we couldn't have thought of ourselves.

+1

The title must cover the perspectives of both of the main characters. The story is about difficult choices and the implications of those choices on their family relationships. They are transitioning from tweens/very young adults to young adults. Thus it seems like choices, and the emotional and physical spaces they are traveling between individually, and possibly (depending on the story) together, are relevant keywords.

So, maybe Choices, Between Choices, or Between Us might be good names (?)

Put down my own suggestion as well:

Talespin, (The ?). Which is like Tailspin, but not quite =)

In turn, definition of Tailspin is:

tail·spin

n.

1. The rapid descent of an aircraft in a steep, spiral spin.

2. (Informal) A loss of emotional control sometimes resulting in emotional collapse.

3. (Informal) A state of confusion or panic.

Felt like the right word, based on both description given and what we know about the cover artwork.

Also I assume we are going to be switching back and forth between playing these two characters, hence "spin" is appropriate once again.

Something which just strike my mind (I submitted it as well):

Jokers of Destiny/Fate

or

Jesters of Destiny/Fate

My submission is The Divide. Hope this helps or creates some inspiration. All in all I want this game to have a fitting title. Good luck Tim!

Like many others, I really like this. The Cut was my favorite of the options listed. This one has the same feeling but is a better fit.

Sign in to follow this