Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

Another one just crossing my mind: Twice upon a time

This would be absolutely excellent! If only they hadn't already done Once Upon a Monster. Dammit DF!

This would be absolutely excellent! If only they hadn't already done Once Upon a Monster. Dammit DF!

Actually that just makes it better.

Once Upon a Monster

Twice Upon a Time

Not to mention this.

I'm rather fond of The Divide

Yes. It works in the same way The Maltese Falcon works. It's simple, direct, vague and mysterious.

As for Broken Age...the first thing that makes me think of is Broken Sword.

Not to mention this.

Well that's out. They definitely don't want the Iron Brigade problem again.

Twice Upon A Tween has zero google hits though.

Not to mention this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_(2009_film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_(film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_White_(1999_film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Throttle_(film)

Twice Upon a Time is an amazing suggestion.

I voted for The Divide in the new poll.

Another idea: Flipside

Of the choices... Small Offerings has grown on me. It's a bit evocative and open to interpretation.

Of recent suggestions I liked Twice Upon a Time and Flipside. Twice Upon a Time is corny in a good way. Flipside is succinct.

Reds Name Survey: Take 2!

- Broken Age: I like but sounds like a medieval RTS and remind me Broken Sword.

- Small Offerings: don't like for a game tittle.

- The Divide: I like. My choose.

- Worlds Apart: I like but used a lot.

Not to mention this.

Quite; it's not automatically a problem for two things to have the same name. Trademark law is there to protect from situations where there might be confusions between trading names or brands, or where someone might be using an established name/symbol to sell their stuff. For example, the reason for the Trench board game/Trenched problems is that Trench was trademarked for use in video games in Europe, so there was a clear possibility of confusion between Trench and Trenched if there was a game of both.

But I don't like Twice Upon a Time. It's a little too 'see what I did there?' which isn't so bad, except that it's been done.

I do really like the name Double Fine Adventure but that's kinda the documentary title isn't it?

I really don't understand this, it would be a horrible title.

"Bioware RPG"

"Valve Shooter"

Ok maybe slightly less horrible than those. But not much.

Oh god. The Divide and World's Apart are both so, so great. But i think i'm going with World's apart!

I do really like the name Double Fine Adventure but that's kinda the documentary title isn't it?

I really don't understand this, it would be a horrible title.

"Bioware RPG"

"Valve Shooter"

Ok maybe slightly less horrible than those. But not much.

You have a point. I think if I would have thought about it more I would have realized it's a lot like. Scary Movie, Date Movie Etc. and I think this game is going to be an incalculable amount better than those movies.

Twice upon a time is abit too much ripped from a series being broadcasted at the moment. Once upon a time.

The Astronaut and the Princess

This formatting here might have some potential - The X and the X. I don't think Astronaut and Princess quite works. "The Princess and the Astronaut" flows a little better. Maiden might be a more suitable reference to the girl given she's off to be sacrificed at the Maiden's Feast. Astronaut could work, but for my money something a little more whimsical might be better.

The Maiden and the Spaceman, perhaps? Not sure that's perfect either. I defer to your suggestions.

This formatting here might have some potential - The X and the X. I don't think Astronaut and Princess quite work. Maiden might be a more suitable reference to the girl. Astronaut could work, but for my money something a little more whimsical might be better.

The Maiden and the Spaceman, perhaps? Not sure that's perfect either. I defer to your suggestions.

I didn't think astronaut and princess specifically worked either but I really like The Maiden and the Spaceman or the Spaceman and the Maiden. or

The Spaceman's Maiden Voyage.....maybe not

This formatting here might have some potential - The X and the X. I don't think Astronaut and Princess quite work. Maiden might be a more suitable reference to the girl. Astronaut could work, but for my money something a little more whimsical might be better.

I didn't think astronaut and princess specifically worked either but I really like The Maiden and the Spaceman or the Spaceman and the Maiden. or

You know Maiden Voyage is actually a rather brilliant title.

You know Maiden Voyage is actually a rather brilliant title.

If only there weren't 3 million google results with it in quotes.

Trying again:

Divide, Worlds Apart, Anywhere Else (or Anywhere) are the titles that stick out to me the most however I don't think any of them are suitable (not even the ones suggested in the survey) in describing the overarching theme of the game itself; whatever that may be at this point.

The boy and girl are 14 years of age; they are moving into adolescence, the transitional period between puberty and adulthood. They are still children - the girl escapes sacrifice and the boy takes control of the ship but neither of them understand the consequences of their actions. The game is more about the growth of these children into adults and part of becoming adults is the understanding and the acceptance of responsibility. The boy and girl must take responsibility for their actions and the consequences that arise from them and learn how to either cope or solve those problems. I genuinely feel that responsibility is the overarching theme and thus the core element of the game (from what I've seen anyway) and thus I suggest a simple, straight forward, powerful word:

Responsible

Simple, elegant, to the point and entirely descriptive of what I 'assume' the theme of the game truly is.

Not to mention this.

Quite; it's not automatically a problem for two things to have the same name. Trademark law is there to protect from situations where there might be confusions between trading names or brands, or where someone might be using an established name/symbol to sell their stuff. For example, the reason for the Trench board game/Trenched problems is that Trench was trademarked for use in video games in Europe, so there was a clear possibility of confusion between Trench and Trenched if there was a game of both.

But I don't like Twice Upon a Time. It's a little too 'see what I did there?' which isn't so bad, except that it's been done.

Exactly, not to mention everytime I would see the title I would just end up thinking of the movie. That's more a personal issue though.

Some more:

The hand that feeds References whomever was gonna feed the girl to the monster; And the ship-mom.

Severance pay The price of dodging one's duties/severing ties; there's also an umbilical cord in there somewhere.

Rites of Passage

This one could work really well.

Yin and Yang.

Twice Across.

But I really, really like Twice Upon A Time.

I don't really love any of the four options offered on the poll. I guess Worlds Apart if any of them.

Twice Upon a Time is pretty cool. I'd be happy with that.

Another suggestion:

Solitary Ways

Suggests the single protagonist and narrative you get in most Adventure Games. It's from the last line of Paradise Lost and describes Adam and Eve after they get kicked out:

The World was all before them, where to choose

Thir place of rest, and Providence thir guide:

They hand in hand with wandring steps and slow,

Through Eden took thir solitarie way.

So it's about adventuring, making choices, responsibility, growing up, leaving behind the comfort of those guarding you, making mistakes and causing pain, and it's also about a boy and a girl venturing forth together but in a sense alone.

How about "The Double Fine Adventure for you: Electric Boogaloo (minus Ron Gilbert)".

Can't believe that guy. And he promised to help in the pitch video!

How about "The Double Fine Adventure for you: Electric Boogaloo (minus Ron Gilbert)".

He is helping in the way he was meant to be giving feedback to tim when there are build giving feedback about them.

Is he not involved any more? :(

Having read the posts since my own, looking at the new survey and Tim's post of how World's Apart isn't suitable (despite fanboys aplenty still clamouring for it), I suggest to Tim that he ignore all our suggestions of nammes and come up with something of his own.

And why? Well, I've already picked apart "The Divide" (maths game!) and "Broken Age" (too much like Broken Sword for me) in my previous post back on page 11 already and as for the other two choices? "Small Offerings" sounds like a euphemism (and if this game turns out to be poor, then yes such a name will be used against it) and "World's Apart" has been panned by Tim himself.

Now there are some in this thread who think Full Throttle is a great name...but that's only because we know what the game is about (ergo, it makes sense). If it was 1995 again (Full Throttle's year of release), that you were at least 5 years old at the time and you knew nothing about the game? It wouldn't be unreasonable to think it a racing game instead and therein lies the problem - if once you've told a newbie the name of a game and then have to explain what the game is about? Then the name is a terrible one, just like a joke is terrible if you have to explain the punchline.

But here is another problem: the most successful games tend to have short names (e.g. Doom) or named after the title character (Max Payne) and if the title is reduced to an acronym, it's still understandable (GTA for example) and no subtitles. Should a game have a subtitle, it usually disappears when the game is talked about. An example would be the aforementioned Broken Sword or rather the full title Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars - a rare case of the subtitle actually describing the story as opposed to the main title. However, usually when the game is talked about, it's described as "the first Broken Sword" or "Broken Sword 1" should the sequels be mentioned (and the German title, Baphomet's Fluch, is so superior to the generic and meaningless North American title Circle of Blood).

And that short name problem is because adventure games, to me at least and certainly the more successful ones, tend to have longer titles (upwards of, say, 5 words) that would otherwise be right at home on the front cover of a book. Obviously, some of you will say things like "what about The Dig?!" in an attempt to deny the above reasoning...but that's not just my reasoning. It's the reasoning of Scott Miller (of whom, I linked to his old blog entry called "Name Matters" in my previous post), the same Scott Miller that provided the initial funding to get Id Software off the ground and making Commander Keen (another subtitle disaster, but they were all new then, along with using a sequel number in an uncreative way with Duke Nukem 2 in 1991) and without that initial funding and guidance? Id Software wouldn't have existed (or not like it did) and there would have been a good chance John Romero wouldn't have had the success, momentum and that one semi-failure that he's had over the past 24 years. Or that nice shiny red car to scare the living bejeezus out of Tim... ;)

And no, I have no further name ideas...despite flicking back and forth from here to the game description and back again. I'll leave that to Tim and crew. :)

Sign in to follow this