Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

Small Offering doesn't sit well with me simply because it uses the word 'small' in the title.

The Divide just sounds a little too cerebral to me, and wouldn't strike me as an adventure game first glance.

With a title like Broken Age I would expect a Civ building game or an RPG set in an ancient era.

Worlds Apart has a nice symmetry and ring to it, paints a nice picture for the story to be set in, and gets my vote.

Maiden Voyage works well.

I also like Serpent's Tooth.

It's from a Shakespeare quote about kids hurting their parents (even when they don't mean it). Plus it sounds like there will be monsters in the game.

"How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child"

All I can think of is "The Great Divide", but that's an Asterix book :/

The Divide just sounds a little too cerebral to me, and wouldn't strike me as an adventure game first glance.

I'll certainly take that as a compliment though!

I like small offerings but I'm wondering if there's other ways of phrasing it.

Something like that would be nice.

"Chitlin's Challenge" would be my next suggestion.

I voted for Broken Age, I think its specific for both stories inside the game...

Maybe add a little twist? The Age of Broken

BOOM!

I don't like any of them. I don't think the 'Grim Fandango' moment has happened yet, and personally I'd prefer the naming were done after that moment happens, not by poll...

I feel the same way.

I don't like any of them. I don't think the 'Grim Fandango' moment has happened yet, and personally I'd prefer the naming were done after that moment happens, not by poll...

Personally, 'Flight of the Tadpole' is one name I'm growing attached to. Any thoughts on it, guys?

I like Flight of the Tadpole a whooooole lot. Double thumbs up from me.

Edit: liked your description too, not sure why you edited it out!

Edit 2: I like the use of the word "Flight" in general, as it definitely applies to both stories. Even something simple like:

Taking Flight: A Double Fine Adventure

I'll suggest this again, use the character's names in the title:

"Name of the Girl" and "Name of the Boy" and maybe something else

for example:

Harold & Maude

When Harry met Sally

Hemingway and Gellhorn

Thelma & Louise

Cheech & Chong

Benny & Joon

The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl

Anthony and Cleopatra

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

The Squid and The Whale

The Fox & The Hound

Lady & the Tramp

Bonnie & Clyde

Starsky and Hutch

Lilo & Stitch

All those names are memorable and its all about the characters!!!

Close Distance

I like the sentiment of your idea, but at the level of language, you're using two words when there is one word that's perfect for what you mean:

"Near"

I feel the same way.

Ironically, if we were to count up how many people like the poll and how many people don't like the poll, it would essentially be via polling data, and we couldn't very well poll people about whether or not they want the poll until we polled everyone first.

2 Worlds, 1 Pocket

2 Souls, 1 Pocket

The Bagel Filter

Bagel's Pocket Universe

Pocket Universe

The Infinite Pocket

The Bottomless Pocket

Pockets Bursting with Adventure

The Schafer Bagel, with 2 Kinds of Cheese

The Lonely Spaceship and the Hungry Monster

Monster Pocket

When Monsters and Spaceships Colide

The Monsters Spaceship

Human Pets

I'm just going to assume that the main characters are going to have pockets; and that their pockets will hold an infinite amount of items. How else would the solve puzzles and go on adventures? Am I right, or am I right. :)

Please Tim, don't just go with whatever title gets the most votes. Go with your gut. Wait for that Aha! moment.

"Double Adventure" or "Adventure for 2" or "The Adventure" or "Two world Adventure"

RE: The Grim Fandango moment,

I wonder, if before the release of Grim it was described in a similar fashion and the name Grim fandango was on a list with 7 other names, would it stand out?

It's name is loved now, long after the fact, but would you really have picked it out of a list of names before playing it?

I like Serpent's Tooth also. Nice. The graphics in this game look so nice though, and there may not be a serpent.

Double Jeopardy, A to the second power could be nice (A squared)

Otherwise I think they've accomplished building the unnameable game. No name even fits this thing! LOL

I don't really care much for any of the options in the poll. I missed the first one. After a considerable amount of thought, I will probably go with "Small Offerings", but I believe there is a better title waiting to be seen. I kind of doubt the efficacy of the poll or this thread for helping to choose a title. As long as it doesn't distract from the best title, then no harm done. Having said all that, and at the risk of distracting, here are my offerings.

Untethered

Dialogue Trees of Destiny

(playing with the popular themes)

Worlds Away

Divided Crossings

Across the Divide

Decision Division

I have a few pages of brainstorming. Guessing, I might have about 75 in all.

I mostly regret reading this entire thread. I did not anticipate the time it would take or the migraine I would have afterwards. I read all of it, except I skipped two posts because they were too long. I'm not trying to complain though.

The names I saw others suggest that made me chuckle are:

Mind the Gap

Career Day

Tween's Quest

Also, I saw someone suggest a title with the word "gaping" in it...that's not a word you want to use in a title for...reasons...

Edit: I forgot to mention this. It's kind of amazing how many names I brainstormed showed up later in the thread.

Also, I kind of like "Not Dead"

I'll suggest this again, use the character's names in the title:

"Name of the Girl" and "Name of the Boy" and maybe something else

Or... name exactly half of the copies after the girl and the other half after the boy and randomly refer to the game with either name and if an interviewer is like "WTF" never explain anything to them. 8)

Eldest Scrolls

Twice Upon A Time is pretty good, that's true... But is it THE title ? I don't think so...

Broken Age sounds too RPG for some reason...I voted for Worlds Apart but...

The Bravery

Brave Adventures

Brave Worlds

I'm on a brave kick, apparently.

I also like the idea of The Great Divide

I'll certainly take that as a compliment though!

Hehe, apologies for that.

I still don't see why we're not just going with 'Double Fine Adventure'?

That has a great ring to it anyhow.

I've got to be honest -- I don't really care for any of the four choices. If I were to vote, I would vote for more time spent brainstorming.

The previous suggestion of Twice Upon A Time has instantly resonated with me. I think it's by far one of the strongest suggestions yet.

There have been some really good suggestions so far and since I can't sleep tonight maybe I should toss out a few ideas:

- Outside the Lines

- The Anxieties of Destiny

- Carpe Adventure

- Tales of Flights and Fights

- Confined Spaces and Monster Chases

Haha, Twice Upon A Time is pretty good. I like that. ^_^

That last one is kind of neat. Not sure about confined. Maybe something that relates a bit more to space travel. Stellar Spaces and Monster Chases? perhaps.

I still really like Maiden Voyage

it relates to both characters - the boy taking his ship off the rails for its maiden voyage into the unknown, while the "maiden" character escapes her home and heads off on a voyage of her own. It's also a name that's evocative of exploration and adventure and the fear and excitement that might come from such activities. I think it makes for a pretty good fit.

Hey there, I also like Twice upon a time very much.

But I have to say somehow every title is getting a bad touch after thinking too much about it. haha this is such a hard task...

Sign in to follow this