Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

Thanks for all the help with this guys! It was really helpful to get everyone's opinion on the names. For those upset that their choice didn't get picked, I hope this one will grow on you. A ton of people who have never heard about this game are about to and I really hope and believe they will be inspired to learn more about the game. Hopefully we'll have some new friends in here and to them the game will have always been Broken Age. And they can join with you in getting to be a part of the development of this game and learning more about the reasons behind the name.

Tim, what about working on the "Broken Age" and "Worlds Apart" ideas changing some elements?

I mean, e.g., "Torn Age" or "Dreams Apart"or... ?

;-)

I made a little experiment and asked a couple of people (none of them knew about the game) if they prefer The Last Fiesta or Grim Fandango and everyone voted for Grim Fandango. So, there is something special about this title which makes it sound more interesting beside of that people got used to it.

Broken record statement: Broken Age doesn't has this magic, it's as generic as the rest of the suggestions (or to be more precise one of the worse ones) plus there exist many games with Age in the title already, the similarity with Broken Sword just comes on top. Age makes it sound more sterile and doesn't trigger the imagination of my brain in a fancy way. It's fun to say GF, especially Fandango, but you can say Broken Age as often as you want to, it is no fun for the tongue. It also doesn't look good. It's true that you sometimes need some time so that something can grow on you but i don't see this potential here.

The situation enhances if you translate the title into german though. There you can translate/paraphrase things so that it sounds better. You also don't have the similarity with Broken Sword anymore (Baphomets Fluch). Will the title be translated? But the issue remains that it's just not the best you could have hoped for. In the end, and if i can't have both, i prefer a strong game with a weak title than the other way around but maybe at some point Tim Schafer will surprise us with something great shortly before the game will be finished.

Btw. are the names of the protagonists known already?

Is the game set in the same solar system/galaxy/universe?

Since the game broke the record of most funded project on Kickstarter, I think the name should be Broken Record! :-)

Definitely liked None of the Above and Small Offerings better than Broken Age, but hopefully it will grow on me.

It's a little late for suggestions, I know, but I think "Sausagefest: A Double Fine Adventure" would be a good name.

I think it needs a bit more words, like 'Children of a broken age'. Gives it a bit more story.

Broken Age sounds, to me, like an illegitimate love child of Broken Sword and Myst. Might make an interesting combination though...

No one liked "Dialog Trees of Destiny!"? It made me smile.

"Untethered" was a serious suggestion, though. Like a leashed child or a prisoner breaking free(or a bird, or a slave, or a sacrifice). Or like a balloon coming loose and floating freely through space. Or Double Fine being untethered from a traditional publisher.

Untethered - not tied or limited with or as if with a tether."

" unbound - not restrained or tied down by bonds"

Or... tether ball.

Thanks for all the help with this guys! It was really helpful to get everyone's opinion on the names. For those upset that their choice didn't get picked, I hope this one will grow on you. A ton of people who have never heard about this game are about to and I really hope and believe they will be inspired to learn more about the game. Hopefully we'll have some new friends in here and to them the game will have always been Broken Age. And they can join with you in getting to be a part of the development of this game and learning more about the reasons behind the name.

I think this might be a very kind way to say, "no more suggestions necessary". It was fun, anyway. I think "Potential Reds Names Incoming!" was kind of an understatement.

While I do get warm fuzzies for the title, "Worlds Apart," and while it is the current poll leader, I think it would be wise to consider the marketing implications of such a choice.

If you Google "worlds apart" you come back with 5,060,000 hits, the third one down of which is worldsapart.com.

For anyone looking to find a review, '"worlds apart" review' will nab them 10,600,000 results, mostly pointing them to the episode of Fringe by that name, an impossible search adversary.

"The Divide" is pretty much on par with 6,510,000 hits due to the 2011 movie of the same name. It should not surprise you that tacking on the word 'review' only narrows this to 3,010,000.

"Small Offerings" has just 47,400 hits while "Broken Age" fares best at 7,930. Sadly, neither of these titles gives me any warm fuzzies. "Broken Age" sounds too much like a dungeon crawl, and "Small Offerings" seems to girl-story-centric in addition to having other connotations that aren't related.

But then, I doubt I could do better. All I could come up with was, "The Abrogates," referring to their mutual rejection, or abrogation, of their respective societal norms. So I guess "Broken Age" it is...

The most important thing (apart from the game being awesome, which I think is in good hands) is that the game is a success because that'll be good for the future of DF. And for that to happen, they need to reach a lot more people than the 80k (plus slackers) or so that they caught with the Kickstarter.

Our input is important but we need to remember we're only a small fraction of the people that DF eventually want playing the game - and to get to them, they need a name in time to do a marketing push when all this year's gaming shows begin, which is pretty soon now. They don't have much time for the perfect name to drop, and I think Broken Age does the job sufficiently well. Maaaybe something better will come along but I think right now we've gotta be as supportive as possible.

I think due to the close proximity of PAX East where rather obviously DF plans to start the public marketing of the game, they forced themselves to pick up a name, though to be honest Tim sat on that decision for too long.

I am one of those people who defended the Wii name when it came out, and kept telling people that no matter the all pun jokes after a short while they would get used to it.

And so it happened, the problem with ‘Broken Age’ though is not that is a bad name… For an RPG… Is that by it self, it doesn’t really say much about the game (to Tim personally perhaps but not to the average consumer), the word ‘Age’ in a game title tends to have this epic feel to it like “Age of Empires” Dragon Age” not Age as in teen-age…

It could work better with a subtitle, like Broken Age: Twice Upon a Time (silly example based on a previous name suggestion).

But given that they got like 10 days until PAX East and they may have to print out some material and stuff (copyright issues too maybe) is probably too late to change.

But to quote my self from a post I made sometime, somewhere “Names are nothing but carvings on a tombstone”.

Our input is important but we need to remember we're only a small fraction of the people that DF eventually want playing the game - and to get to them, they need a name in time to do a marketing push when all this year's gaming shows begin, which is pretty soon now. They don't have much time for the perfect name to drop, and I think Broken Age does the job sufficiently well. Maaaybe something better will come along but I think right now we've gotta be as supportive as possible.

Well said. I'm actually a bit surprised that they are still open to a name change, even after a couple of months (as Tim said in his post). Does that mean that the game will not yet be announced, are they willing to publicly change the title down the road or will they release a trailer and/or some screenshots under the moniker "Double Fine Adventure" for now?

DF does have a history of changing titles after announcements: Trenched -> Iron Brigade; Happy Action TV -> Kinect Party; Dischord -> Dropchord. But for some reason I have a feeling that in those cases it had more to do with legal (or publisher) issues.

I think "Broken Age" is a little po-faced, given that this is supposed to be a funny game... right?

Hmm.. I don't really connect with Broken Age at all, but I understand Tim's reasoning behind the (hopefully temporary) choice. To be honest, I figured the way name suggestions would work is that they might stimulate something in Tim's mind and help him reach the Perfect Title he's been searching for (and hasn't found yet, imo) instead of gathering their own popularity in order to become poll choices themselves.

Anyway, enough with the negativity, I sincerely hope that whatever the title is, once I fire up the game it will click with me instantly.

A name came to me recently

Developing Quarry

A spin on Developing Story

Developing works since they're growing into adulthood.

Quarry: noun: a person who is the aim of an attack (especially a victim of ridicule or exploitation) by some hostile person or influence

Quarry works particularly well for the girl since she's being made a sacrifice. I'm not too sure about the boy's situation though.

Probably too silly to be an actual title though.

With that name people won't mistake this game for the Cave anymore, but they'll start mistaking it with Broken Sword.

EDIT: Oops late to the party; should have checked last 2 or 3 pages before posting =P

I like The Divide, but it sounds a little duller than it could be. How about:

Divided

The Great Divide

I also like Broken Bounds and The Cut.

From the poll, also like Worlds Apart, because of the drama and broadness it evokes, although it's a bit cliche.

A name came to me recently

Developing Quarry

A spin on Developing Story

Developing works since they're growing into adulthood.

Quarry: noun: a person who is the aim of an attack (especially a victim of ridicule or exploitation) by some hostile person or influence

I'm aware of that definition, but I'm sure my first thought would be "oh cool, a mining simulator".

Instead of using words that cleverly describe the plot, like it seems all these names are trying to do, perhaps it would be better to go with something less generic. What if the name of the world that the girl is on and the name of the ship that the boy is on (or the name of the computer controlling the ship) happened to be the same name. Wouldn't that be a great name for the game? For instance, if the name of the planet and the name of the ship are both 'Halo', name the game 'Halo'. For obvious reasons, they can't use 'Halo', but if they find some other catchy sounding name that could be both the planet's and the ship's name, I think that would work really well.

Hmm,.. The current updated choices:

- Broken Age

- Small Offerings

- The Divide

- Worlds Apart

Small Offerings and The Divide speak to the girl's setting, she's the offering, there's a divide.

Broken Age and Worlds Apart are a bit more generic, and work for both I think.

However, I really prefer this suggestion:

Yin and Yang.

Twice Across.

But I really, really like Twice Upon A Time.

Wow! Twice Upon A Time is really really nice!! Sounds good to me!

Twice Upon a Time

Guys, Tim already picked Broken Age. I think he should update the OP. People don't seem to know.

Hmm,.. The current updated choices:

- Broken Age

- Small Offerings

- The Divide

- Worlds Apart

Small Offerings and The Divide speak to the girl's setting, she's the offering, there's a divide.

Broken Age and Worlds Apart are a bit more generic, and work for both I think.

However, I really prefer this suggestion:

Yin and Yang.

Twice Across.

But I really, really like Twice Upon A Time.

Wow! Twice Upon A Time is really really nice!! Sounds good to me!

Twice Upon a Time

Although I already voted for Worlds Apart I changed my mind immediately when I saw Twice Upon A Time.

It's a great, catchy name AND it rhymes with Double Fine, which should be a necessity for all future Double Fine games, AND it sounds great in German: Es war zweimal.

This should be the name!

I still like calling it Double Fine Adventure!

You know because it's made by Double Fine, and it's a double adventure~

Ehehehehe.

Twice Upon A Time is awesome.

It may be a bit too long. Twice Upon? Twice?

Fifth Postulate?

Is it too late to add "Twice Upon a Time" as an option? I think it sounds fantastic!

Is it too late to add "Twice Upon a Time" as an option? I think it sounds fantastic!

It seems DF are set with Broken Age and hope everyone gets accustomed to it, much like getting accustomed to beardless Tim.

Oh and I agree Twice Upon a Time is a good name, although it may give them trouble if they ever do a sequel to Once Upon a Monster.

Edit: I would have also proposed You Only Live Twice if it wasn't such a well known James Bond title, even words from the theme song fit:

"

This dream is for you, so pay the price.

Make one dream come true, you only live twice.

"

Broken Age is a grower. I kinda start to like the name.

For all those hoping for 'Twice Upon a Time', there's a huge reason that I don't think they will touch that name. It is also the name of an animated film made by LucasFilm. As most of you know, Tim Schafer used to work for LucasArts, which I'm pretty sure has a close relationship with LucasFilm. Anyway, I assume that if they wanted to make a game with that name, they would have to work out a deal with LucasArts to avoid some kind of legal battle. Not sure if that is the case, but that's my guess.

Sign in to follow this