Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

"Worlds Apart" sounds like the name to a beautiful story and makes me feel emotional stuff, it really vibes well with me.

"Worlds Apart" sounds like the name to a beautiful story and makes me feel emotional stuff, it really vibes well with me. I like the other ones but they play on the setting more than the story I think.

All this thread serves to illustrate, is that most people aren't fit to name their dogs, let alone a videogame.

I'm sorry.

I'm going to leave this in the hands of the experts, and if Tim says it's Broken Age, then it's Broken Age.

All this thread serves to illustrate, is that most people aren't fit to name their dogs, let alone a videogame.

I'm sorry.

I'm going to leave this in the hands of the experts, and if Tim says it's Broken Age, then it's Broken Age.

Lol. Well said. If i ever get another dog I'm going to name it after this thread.

Hey we're not terrible at coming up with names!

Here's another one:

Space Bastards : Night of the Furry Turnip!

Has a nice ring to it, and I hope there'll be enough time to change the game to suit it

Hiya fellas,

New slacker-backer and first post to boot.

I literally became a slacker-backer initially just to watch the documentary; I enjoy productions like these when done professionally and thought the 30 bucks sink was worth it.

I have no grand love affair with adventure games and have played less than a handful my entire life.

Despite this, I found myself slowly falling in love with this game as I watch the documentary episodes. It was the art direction that pulled me in and there is literally a moment where everything just 'clicked' and I said 'wow I want to play this game'. This was when I saw the cloud puffing up when the girl protagonist dropped the egg.

There is a sense of old school nostalgia flowing through the story concept, making me remember a more innocent age where science fantasy like 'A Princess of Mars' thrived and mixed the sensibility of fantasy with the rational creativity of sci-fi. I love it and am now glad I was able to help Double Fine make this possible.

Anyways – enough with the ramble – naming the project:

I nominated that REDS deserves a longer title, something that provides a clear descriptive on both worlds/protagonists and something to tie the two worlds together. I do not have a good enough imagination to create this so I'm going to leave a prototype here as food for thoughts and explain my reasoning.

Here goes:

The Warrior Princess and the Cosmic Explorer: A Tale of Parallel Lives.

As previously stated, this title itself is kinda rubbish; it’s merely here to serve as an example to explain my proposal.

• “Warrior Princess” – Girl protagonist descriptive.

• “Cosmic Explorer” – Boy protagonist descriptive.

• “A Tale of Parallel Lives” – The link that ties the 2 worlds together.

As you can see, this title is extremely literal base on what we’ve been told of the plot so far. Mr Schafer, who knows the complete story would probably be able to create something much better.

The girl is playing the role of the sacrifice – the role often associated in classic fantasy with the damsel in distress – and what is the prototypical damsel? A Princess! The fact that she fought back against her fate empowers her so we add a prefix that is suitably combative, hence: Warrior Princess. I deliberately use ‘antiquated’ character description to show that this is a ‘fantasy’ setting and to contrast it with the boy protagonist.

The boy is even simpler; he lives in a spaceship –in space!- and his dearest wish is to experience change! He wants a break from the monotone of his daily life… And when he does do something to change his routine, he decides to go on an adventure! Cosmic Explorer – representing the boy’s extraterrestrial origin and his hunger and eventual ability and willingness to wander into the unknown. It is also a character description that is intended to contrast with the more traditional ‘warrior’ and ‘princess’ from the girl protagonist.

Finally we have something that ties the 2 world together, this just sounds so cliche imo – but like I said I don’t have a great imagination so I just thought of the most literal description of the setting of this adventure game. A Tale of Parallel Lives; It is a tale of 2 characters in two very 2 contrasting worlds, but ultimately they are reaching for the same goal (parallel) which is to break free from the role society has placed on them.

I hope my meager idea have provided some food for thoughts to everyone.

Peace!

I totally missed this somehow (and by that missed the original suggested names). Going over the entire thread would be madness, so I'll just say that I like "The Frustrating Cut".

Other than this, "Small Offerings" is the only one which doesn't sound too serious and grim. I hope that the game has enough humour that it's not really just the straight up description that's available.

I'd suggest Out of Control, The Monsters That Be, well, I don't know, I could probably think of some others. Don't think these are perfect suggestions, but I think they hint more at something that's both serious and perhaps wacky. Of course, that assumes that the game is wacky in some way.

I also think that because backers know very little about the game, our responses and suggestions likely won't represent the game well. It's impossible to tell how much the summary biases the perception of the game. I added the assumption that the game is somewhat irreverent in its treatment, but of course it might not be. It's hard to tell without knowing more.

How about just - POINT AND CLICK?

I liked Double Fine Adventure as it has the "double" storyline.

TWIN BRANCHES

NEW AWAKENINGS

BULLSHIT DETECTOR FORCE 5

MONEY MADE THIS

THE BIRDS AND THE BEES

NO PUBLISHER ATTACHED

TWO SUNS

CALL OF ADVENTURE XXIV: MODERN PUZZLEFARE

PuzzleField IV: Pun Company too.

I'm actually fine with Small Offerings but I'd love something that suggests the nature of the game even more. Something like "A Quest for Adventure" "Pledge to Adventure" "Through the looking glass and the money Tim Schafer found there" "The Stakes of Adventure" "Kick and Start Adventure in Space and also Time somehow" "Spectacular Failure" "An Old New World"

Even knowing that Tim already made his choice of "Borken Age" (which I don't like but who cares), I must admit that now I'm totally rooting for : MIND THE GAP (Unfortunately... isn't that a registered trademark from London's Underground ? )

Even knowing that Tim already made his choice of "Borken Age" (which I don't like but who cares), I must admit that now I'm totally rooting for : MIND THE GAP (Unfortunately... isn't that a registered trademark from London's Underground ? )

Whether it is or it isn't, a trademark, Mind the Gap is a phrase associated with trains 'n' stuff, and I think that makes it a weird title. I realise 'mind the gap' could refer to that trench, or the gap between childhood and adulthood, or the gap between the two stories, so it works, but... the part where it's a phrase associated with trains is just sort of left flapping and unconnected.

In other words, I think it would be a perfect name for a coming of age story about a boy and a girl in a train-themed world, but in the setting we have it kind of feels out of place.

Seems like we have enough good suggestions

I'm unsure if fans have leave to extrapolate at this point, but

The Dischord of Traverse

sounds a bit like Discordia though

the Atonality of the Cut

World Apart between the Poles of Destiny

no no

The Worlds Between Harmony

take out the the

Worlds between Harmony

hmmm

"Worlds Apart" feels like a really classic Adventure title. It seems a little vague, but maybe that's an opportunity to apply a new understanding of what the expression 'worlds apart' can really mean. Then when people hear or say 'worlds apart', the imagery from the game pops into their head.

"Broken Age" invokes more of a feeling of the kind of universe the characters are living in, a universe where they really have to fight for their identities and dispel the assumptions of the time.

What if you spelled worlds apart like "World's Apart"? meaning the world is divided, but it also rings like the classic turn of phrase.

Listen Everyone: It's DONE. The game is called Broken Age!

This post by Tim settles it. I hope we can stop with the suggestions and just concentrate on bitching about what a terrible title "Broken Age" is. ;)

World's Apart is the right title, and I'm sure it will "win" -- i.e. Tim will pick it.

But, just incase, here's some alternatives that I haven't really put any thought into:

- Fractured Worlds

- Split Infinity

- Altered Dimensions

- Divided

- Speed 3: Maximum Overdrive

"Broken Age" sounds metal. Way more metal than "Master of Puppets", even, and that's pretty metal. Master of Puppets sounds like something a little girl would call herself while she's having a teaparty. "Broken Age" starts with a 'B', so its really easy to scream it, plus it sounds heavy. Not like one of those bargain shelf adventure games that always have the spunky girl with the short hair as the main character who is on a fantastical quest to a faraway land where everyone talks like they were translated from Ukranian. This game is different, its going to be harsh.

Hello everyone. Here's my suggestion:

"A Tale of Two"

I thought I'd seen this suggested a dozen times already, but it was just the once:

I also suggested: A Tale of Two

It's a play on A Tale of Two Cities.

Sign in to follow this