Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

How about:

Busted

or

Galactic Rogues

or

Escape

I think Escape is really good!

Really liked "Assbutt's" Running With Schisms and my contribution was Bifurcation (though it's probably a bit... off track).

The Divide would probably work too though.

I thought about putting Bifurcation because I saw this word today in my vocab cards while studying for the GRE. It is a neat word and would definitely get people looking up what it means.

It's the best word! Though I don't think it really fits this game. Even "The Cut" doesn't really seem right.

Young Monsters is probably the best of the bunch, but I threw "Innocence Lost" as a candidate as well.

Personally though, I'm feeling "Worlds Apart" as the best submission so far. It hints at the fact that you're getting two stories, the fact that they take place in distinct worlds, and it sort of has the added ring that you're getting something fantastical. Granted, it doesn't cover what the game is thematically about (i.e. breaking from tradition and hurting those you love as a result) but do we really want to give away that part on the cover? Let people take some joy in discovering that part for themselves.

I do think The Divide sound cool, but it also sounds maybe too ominous for this game. Look at the art and how dreamy and quirky it is. A lot of these titles sound kind of like horror movies.

A good title would probably be a specific, important object from the game itself. That way, when you play it and finally see the ____, you're like "ohhh."

And good lord, nothing with "Bifurcation". It evokes horrifying surgury and body modification!

I really love Double Fine Adventure: Ravines, Monsters and Space. Do other people react to that at all? Just me? Meh.

I picked Broken Age, while the title I suggested was Split Destinies, which I think works well for the tone and story they're trying to make.

I really love Double Fine Adventure: Ravines, Monsters and Space. Do other people react to that at all? Just me? Meh.

How about Space Escape? For some reason I have Escape stuck in my head now!

Just "Ravines, Monsters and Space" sounds fine to me.

None of the current list speaks to me. It's unfortunate that "Childhood's End" is taken and so awesome.

Results of my brainstorming:

Fraught Agency / New Agency

Rite of Passage

Role Conflict / Role Strain

First Steps

Age of Majority

Sacrificial Débutante / something with Débutante

... We saw how many names Tim wrote down before Grim Fandango. Hopefully this thread will help.

Conjures an image of Ape Escape x Space Invaders.... Which could be a valid thing, actually.

Maidens Feast is by far the best of the pre-suggested, which I voted for.

However I suggested also the following:

1. the sacrifice of destiny

2. the altar of decision

3. Monsters and Robots

I generally suggest something up to two words (or three if we have some short linking word). So my suggestions can be shortened also to something like:

The sacrifice, Sacrifice of Destiny, The altar, The decision

of course another possibility would be the names of the two children (i.e, Peter & Lora or whatever those would be)

None of the names in the survey really stuck out at me. I do like a lot of the suggestions in this thread, but I submitted my own.

Anxious Freedom

I don't really know much about the game, but it fits with teenage themes. We were all anxious for our freedom back then, and it seems these two characters are even more so.

Full disclosure. It was the name of a band my friends were in during high school over 10 years ago. One of them recently passed away so I've been watching a lot of old videos of when they played. Because of that, the name has been on my mind. I've always thought it was a great name and it seems like it would fit well with the characters' story. What little we know at least.

I always love the names Tim eventually comes up with though. Grim Fandango is one of my favorites! So fun to say. Grim Fandango.

Conjures an image of Ape Escape x Space Invaders.... Which could be a valid thing, actually.

Haha. could mean Escaping to outer space, or escaping from outer space. Or just a Space to which you escape, or a Space you are escaping from.

This would all be explained on the back of the box BTW.

I put in a couple

Maiden/Voyage--I liked the choice with maiden in it, but this (somehow broken up, probably not with a slash, by color would be way cooler) references both individual stories while the whole phrase is kind of about their first time 'outside port' so to speak.

Spirit of Abandon--or Reckless Abandon or Principles of Abandon or something. Kind of speaks for itself.

I like that we're helping with the grunt work behind the brainstorming, I just hope that Tim can combine this with the details of the story and have that spark like he has for the other games

Divide, Worlds Apart, Anywhere Else (or Anywhere) are the titles that stick out to me the most however I don't think any of them are suitable (not even the ones suggested in the survey) in describing the overarching theme of the game itself; whatever that may be at this point.

The boy and girl are 14 years of age; they are moving into adolescence, the transitional period between puberty and adulthood. They are still children - the girl escapes sacrifice and the boy takes control of the ship but neither of them understand the consequences of their actions. The game is more about the growth of these children into adults and part of becoming adults is the understanding and the acceptance of responsibility. The boy and girl must take responsibility for their actions and the consequences that arise from them and learn how to either cope or solve those problems. I genuinely feel that responsibility is the overarching theme and thus the core element of the game (from what I've seen anyway) and thus I suggest a simple, straight forward, powerful word:

Responsible

Simple, elegant, to the point and entirely descriptive of what I 'assume' the theme of the game truly is.

I agree with everyone saying the titles offered are not giving me any spine tingles. I went with "Small Offerings" but also suggested Folie à deux, which I will admit is too foreign to be used as an international title and The Story So Far, which I think evokes both a fairytale and a contemporary feeling, as well as the sense of distance.

Good luck finding the right title, Tim, I know your trusted notebook will save the day in the end!

Only now do I realize that my idea, "Divergent Dawns", is better suited for a JRPG then an adventure game...

I combined Broken Age and The Cut into:

The Cutting Age

This sounds like some teen angst self harm movie! ;-)

I do like some of the suggestions better than Tim's idea's! Sorry Tim.

The Divide (although I think I prefer just "Divide" as someone else has just said, as it's too close to The Cave)

Worlds Apart (maybe that is just TOO obvious?)

Ugh, in a 50/50 choice, I always seem to make the wrong decision!

LOL actually made me think of "The Cutting Edge".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104040/reference

I agree with everyone saying the titles offered are not giving me any spine tingles. I went with "Small Offerings" but also suggested Folie à deux, which I will admit is too foreign to be used as an international title and The Story So Far, which I think evokes both a fairytale and a contemporary feeling, as well as the sense of distance.

Good luck finding the right title, Tim, I know your trusted notebook will save the day in the end!

Folie à deux is a Fall Out boy album.

Not that it's a bad thing I thought it was a good album.

Nothing really grabbed me here...

or of what was suggested so far...

My immediate reaction was something related to Adolescence and/or Puberty... but I can't think of what would work for those.

So my conception is Between, In Between, The Between, Between Monsters and Space, The Place Between, etc. Just something related to Between.

Days Gone

Days Ahead

two-day

I just don't know. need more brainstorming.

Gods this is hard. I don't envy you Tim, haha. I do agree most of the titles on the survey evoke more on the girls story than the boys, which is kinda one sided. The Divide works on multiple levels, and could end up being the perfect name, but I feel like something needs to be added to it. Perhaps Beyond the Divide? We just need something that works for both characters, as well as the overarching themes and plot.

Writing is hard.

Small Offerings was the only one that did something for me. All told, count me among the rather unimpressed (SORRY!).

Here's the thing though: Tim seems knows better than anyone what would make a good title for the game, because only he knows all its intricacies. The rest of us are working with incomplete information.

That said, I'm quite fond of some of the titles of the "X and Y" form. X and Y would make a pretty neat title itself, as has been pointed out before. Or Him and Her? Or maybe you could take something from each world that is bears some relation to each character. I don't know, like Clouds & Chrome (can you tell I like alliterations?). Or if the girl's world is more aboreal, maybe Bark & Polish? How about The Sun and The Stars. Any of those might still work with a slash instead of the conjunction (e.g. X/Y).

Or just be blunt and call it Sacrifice Girl & Spaceship Boy: A Doubly Fine Adventure (optionally prefaced with Tim Schafer Presents: for extra colon-canceritis).

And finally, I also liked the sweet and simple Two. Because it's sweet and simple (and non-repetitive, so it doesn't repeat itself).

Not going to lie, didn't like any of the name ideas in the survey.

How about: "Growing Planes" (puns! ha)

Or: "Dichotomous" (sounding smart, hmm)

Key words/ideas that seem important in the overarching story/game concept are "break away" "split" "pieces" "growing up" "adventure" "youth" some plug and chug with a thesaurus might find some good ideas. Although frankly I'm already seeing sooo many good ideas!

Also wouldn't a frustrating cut be a tear or a rip? Double Fine Presents: "Let er' Rip!"

Sign in to follow this