Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

How about;

"Separated At Birth"

Their lives weren't their own from birth, or they were separated from it at birth.

Plus, the two characters are very similar in age, situation, etc...

And there ends my attempt at being thoughtful and provocative. Where is my beer!?

I didn't really care for any of the options in the survey list but I agree with many of the folks here:

The Divide

Worlds Apart

are both good options and of course I like my suggesiton: Down to earth.

I voted for The Cut, and entered Two Feet as my suggestion.

I've been trying to think of titles which capture ideas of breaking the cycle, breaking the spell, self-empowerment, which seems to be central. I really resonate with the idea that nobody's going to save you but yourself. Be the change you want to see in the world, don't blindly accept tradition, and so on. I'm just failing to capture those ideas in a name right now! Will ponder it.

I decided to to suggest a name instead. I wanted to find a name that could somehow incorporate the original title of this project, Double Fine Adventures. My suggested title is The Fine Line.

There is a line that separates these two stories, there is a path/line that the two characters do not want to follow anymore, so they deviate from it. You also mentioned in your summary that by doing so, they learn that they could be hurting the people they love, meaning they must walk a "fine line" between doing what they want to do, and doing the right thing.

I think The Fine Line is my favorite suggestion thus far. Or perhaps A Fine Line.

The Divide is also pretty good. The Other Side and Worlds Aparts are decent as well.

there's a massive game coming called Destiny so dunno if it would be a good idea to give reds a similar name

Mirrored Destinies could work too.

Though unless Bethesda is involved I doubt anyone would sue over the name sharing a single word, it happens quite often in the industry.

The only exceptions I know are Bethesda’s lunacy with Scrolls, and that patent troll that held the word ‘Edge’ hostage for many years.

I voted for The Cut, and entered Two Feet as my suggestion.

I've been trying to think of titles which capture ideas of breaking the cycle, breaking the spell, self-empowerment, which seems to be central. I really resonate with the idea that nobody's going to save you but yourself. Be the change you want to see in the world, don't blindly accept tradition, and so on. I'm just failing to capture those ideas in a name right now! Will ponder it.

"they find out that with that power comes the possibility of hurting those they love."

from that i gather that there's also ideas of responsibility, loss of innocence, coming of age, etc. i think that needs to be captured too. (also i'm guessing the ending of this game is going to involve choosing whether or not to sacrifice yourself to the monster, and peeps are going to be all like "best moral decision since Bastion!")

The Cut sounds nice. I like a lot of the popular suggested titles around here though : Worlds Apart, The Divide, Anywhere Else...I love The Fine Line too! But I'll probably call this game Double Fine Adventure for a while though.

My submission is The Divide. Hope this helps or creates some inspiration. All in all I want this game to have a fitting title. Good luck Tim!

Woah! I submitted the same suggestion before I read your post. I'm not a fan of most of the provided names (voted for small offerings because it sounded the most interesting and unique but still relevant). The Divide captures more of Tim's synopsis, although it's not terribly unique (typical "the noun"). My other ideas like The Long Divide don't sound as nice or get too punny.

Anyway, way to think of the bright idea first! I like the ivi logo suggestion too. Wonder what Bagel would make from that.

None of the options really grabbed me, though I like "The Divide" a lot.

I thought that perhaps "Cutting Loose" might be a nice twist on "The Cut", given the story seems to be mostly about breaking free, escaping etc.

Not a fan of any survey options but like some of suggestions on this thread.

My contributions to growing list are:

Wicked Worlds

or

Trouble Ahead (preferably as Double Fine Adventure: Trouble Ahead)

"they find out that with that power comes the possibility of hurting those they love."

from that i gather that there's also ideas of responsibility, loss of innocence, coming of age, etc. i think that needs to be captured too.

True, true. I don't think loss of innocence is necessarily inherent in the concept though, not from the information we've seen so far. It's a matter of personal philosophy I guess but to me a state of innocence is defined by an absence of shame, not by youthful ignorance or a past without mistakes. Guilt is maintained by blame (towards self and\or others) and the path back to innocence is forgiveness (towards self and others). I believe the idea that innocence is lost forever is a big error and that emotional healing is very possible.

I was thinking originally of: Fate's Accomplice.

However, after reading a few posts, I think tying into the history of the game could be fun like:

Divided Fate's Accomplice (DFA)

Doubting Fate's Accomplice (DFA)

Doubting Fate's Abyss (DFA)

Doubting Freedom's Abyss (DFA)

Dreaming For Autonomy (DFA)

Dreaming For Another (DFA)

or

Read the Enclosed Directions then Stop (REDS)

Rushing Everywhere Does Squat (REDS)

Rough in Every Direction (RED)

and just some others

Divided from my Ground

Breaking with Today

In the Moment Between Fate and Loss

Losing Way, Gaining Me

Not a big fan of the official selections either, so I submitted the following:

Two Worlds

Worlds Apart

Brave Ones (my favorite)

What if we really stroked Tim's ego and called it "Tim Schafer's Small Offerings" :) he's a big enough in the industry to pull that off right? Like a Jerry Bruckheimer blockbuster..

My suggestions: Lost Souls, The Abyss, Bride of the Monster, Outreach, Distance, Distant Souls, Divided Souls...

I really like the motif of the ethereal divide between the boy and the girl - one that might be crossed or transcended through the course of their actions. Or the place they might finally meet...

Bearing in mind their origins (the clouds and the stars) it makes me think of that fine divide between Earth (or the girl's planet) and the Universe, and on that basis a few names came to mind:

More human feel: Between the Clouds and the (Starry) Sky, Where the Clouds meet the Sky

More sci-fi feel: Exosphere, Atmosphere, On the Edge of Space

My personal favourite at the moment: Found in Space

Frankly, none of the options are good. All of them only refer to half the story … :/

Off-the-cuff idea: “Destinies Askew”? In general, I think the title should refer to destiny, fate or something like that.

Going the anagram route, from Grim Fandango we get:

"random fan gig"

"gonad framing"

"ford man aging"

"groin dam fang"

"gringo mad fan"

"dragon faming"

"fond gamin' rag"

"doing fan gram"

"dong fang irma"

"dogma fan grin"

"going damn far"

"gong and firma" Great names there!

"afro mind gang"

"morgan fading"

and

Smack on: A double whammy

Willingly whacky

Parallell meetings

Space and dragons

Double Space: A fine adventure

Double Destiny

Far apart

Fickle: The roads ahead

Fickle and Fame

Forces far apart

Run Free

In situ search

Close: A journey far apart

Close: Journeys far apart

Double Destiny: A fine adventure

Edit: just added some more names

First off - I'm sick and feverish right now, and in fact taking a sick day, so maybe none of what I'm saying will make sense (also, I haven't read much of the previous 12 pages, so sorry if I'm just inadvertently repeating stuff).

I felt like a lot of the titles suggested in the survey were connected only to the Girl's story (Monster-related, sacrifice-related, The Cut being (mainly) a reference to the ravine) - of course, this is based on limited information; maybe the Boy's story has elements, literal or thematic, that coincide, or maybe if (when?) the stories intersect, those things will encompass both stories. But in lieu of knowing that...

I want something that relates to both stories equally. Probably something that hits on the themes of the story, rather than being tied to a specific character/event/place in the game. And so, the best that my fevered mind could come up with was

Taking Flight

Both in the sense of fleeing (the Girl from her own sacrifice, the Boy from his prison of dullness), and more literally, flying - the Girl's journey takes her up into the clouds, and the Boy is on - and takes control of - a friggin' spaceship.

I dunno. I liked it when I thought of it (I would, I guess), but now I've thought too much about it, and I have no idea whether it's good or not. Also, still with the whole sick and feverish thing.

(Also, I considered just plain "Flight", but figured that the uninitiated would just think it was about Denzel Washington being drunk and flying planes upside down)

Sign in to follow this