Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

Even if with infinite respect, "none of the above" for a graphic adventure with these themes..

Worlds Apart (mainly) and The Divide are very interesting suggestions.

My sort of ideas:

2 Destinies / 2 Lines,

Indivisibles,

Untraditional,

Disaglined,

TimeLines,

Conditional,

Twomorrow,

Ravined,

Time2Time,

Living in the clouds

My first thought was Growing Apart, at least two other people have suggested this.

The boy is hacking a computer and the girl is fighting a monster so Hack n' Slash would be good, but sadly this name is taken by another game...

Coming of Rage (may already be in use)

Flights of Fancy

Minor Rebellion

Crossing Over

The Crossing

Cross

The word 'cross' seems to resonate with this game for me.

The girl is crossing the ravine (I assume) and the children are crossing over into adulthood. The boy's mother will be cross with him and girl may cross swords with the monsters.

I've suggested Minor Crossing in the survey. Notice the double meaning.

Coming of Rage is the best one I've heard but I think wes craven's turning it into a film.

I'll be honest. I think Reds is a horrible working title and i don't like any of the suggestions either. It kind of reminds me of the episode where Tim Schafer is thinking about tons of names for Grim Fandango and all sound somehow bland or wrong until, well until, he comes up with the right one, Grim Fandango. This right one is still missing here.
So you saw that part of the episode, but not the part where they explained where the working titles for their games come from?

I'll be honest. I think Reds is a horrible working title and i don't like any of the suggestions either. It kind of reminds me of the episode where Tim Schafer is thinking about tons of names for Grim Fandango and all sound somehow bland or wrong until, well until, he comes up with the right one, Grim Fandango. This right one is still missing here.
So you saw that part of the episode, but not the part where they explained where the working titles for their games come from?

what leroy is referring to is that Reds comes from the name of a local bar. it was never a working title, just a codename.

Just wanted to say that "The Divide" is an important part of The Longest Journey lore. So, I don't think they should use it.

http://tlj.wikia.com/wiki/Divide

The Divide is not really iconic and i think most people don't hear that word and immediately think of the longest journey. it's not as bad as it would be if you named it "Mushroom Kingdom" or something

I know this post will get lost in all of these, but I'm like a lot of the other posters, not too keen on any of them.

So, I thought -

New Awakenings

This signifies new awakening of adventure games and a new start to how games are made.

@Leroy Octopus

I know where the name is coming from but i don't like it. DFA was fine already, Reds doesn't ring my adventure bells, reminds me more of chewing gum, like i'm in a X-Wing squadron or sounds too aggressive/displaced. Saying so a few Mojitos can change your mind, but nope. Anyway it's far more important how the final game will be named.

I'll be honest. I think Reds is a horrible working title

Weird criticism, since all their games are codenamed after bar names - why does it matter? Do you understand why it was important for them to change it from DFA, at least? It seems like going to the bars and finding a name there is a bonding ritual for teams on DF projects. If they hadn't done it, it probably would have felt wrong to THEM.

and i don't like any of the suggestions either. It kind of reminds me of the episode where Tim Schafer is thinking about tons of names for Grim Fandango and all sound somehow bland or wrong until, well until, he comes up with the right one, Grim Fandango. This right one is still missing here. From those mentioned The Cut sounds like the most concise one but i don't know how much it fits as you normally are going more through transitions and a barber often springs to mind.

I think I agree with this, sort of. None of the titles seem like 'The Title' yet. But I'm thinking they need one soon because they'll have to start promoting the game.

Speaking of Grim Fandango, i also would have prefered if the DFA would have been a more mature game like Grim Fandango was more mature than DOTT. There are tons of games dealing with more younger people and the problems they have to deal with but only a few look at things from real grown ups perspectives. It seems like video games generally have their problems with recognising that a certain percentage of the gamers also got older and also evolved during those decades. Grim Fandango once stood out because it wasn't the more typical teenager slapstick experience.

And whilst i'm at it, the third thing i don't like is the female character, she looks bland to me and doesn't get me excited. A foreign planet or a parallel universe but still one head, two legs, two arms, that's somehow boring as it's always the same. As for humanoids, there were better suggestions once in the sketches. Btw. i hope the blob shadows get tweaked for the final version because they stood out and looked odd in the latest episode.

Anyway so much for some critics. I don't regret backing the game at all and welcome the game once it is ready but i simply would have prefered a different direction.

Who says it won't be mature? Just because it deals with teenagers doesn't mean that it's not going to have things that we can relate to. As I get older, I often look back at when I was becoming an adult, and think about the things I gained in that process, but also the things I lost and maybe shouldn't have. So from that perspective, this game's themes definitely speak to me directly, even though I'm 30. Also, from what we've seen of this game it doesn't look like a 'teenager slapstick experience', so much as a Tim Schafery-style adventure that happens to star teenagers. And I can't actually think of many games at ALL that deal meaningfully with coming of age. There are some that touch on it peripherally, but a game where the central themes are a young person taking control of their world and then dealing with the consequences of that, positive and negative? I think that could definitely use more exploring.

Anyway, I think they'll find the right name. It's often hard.

I think great titles have intrigue in them like "The Secret of Monkey Island" or "Grim Fandango" and it's hard to suggest an intriguing title that relates to the story without knowing really where it goes.

It probably isn't quite right, but I like

Trouble

as a title. It hints at where the game's story is (probably) going rather than describing how the game works. You might associate trouble with teens as well.

Alternately:

Day of the Testicle

since there's two of them.

Trouble reminds me of two things;

- The TV channel that showed Fresh Prince of Bel Air in the 90s (in the UK anyway)

- Taylor Swift and goats

Usually the best names are those reffering:

1) To a name

2) To some location

They should also be short (up to two words or three including link words).

Also they do not really need to correspond to the concept of the game. All they need to be catcy and rememberable!

Idea:

Crossing Lines

We know the game is about young teens pushing boundaries, and a princess who crosses into a monster's territory. Yet it's also about two storylines which, even if they don't directly intersect, will clearly cross and complement each other narratively. Even if the characters never meet, we know the story progression will "cross" from one to the other -- and just like the start screen Tim described where the two characters are sitting back to back on opposite sides of a vertical line, this title subtly teases at obvious possibility that the characters' paths could actually cross during the game. Story-wise, this title also reinforces that the game's story is told from the perspective of young teens who are crossing the line from childhood, while learning the double-edged nature of transgressive, adventurous acts.

An observation on Tim's suggestion of "Small Offerings":

Not only is the game about youth sacrifices, but also the Kickstarter was financed by actual "small offerings" from backers, catalyzing widespread crowdsourcing of games. Not only does "Small Offerings" fit the game's world and story, it subtly nods toward the triumph of crowdsourcing this game has come to represent.

Finally, a word to chew on for brainstorming: "Spared". It plays on the sacrifice theme.

Trouble reminds me of two things;

- The TV channel that showed Fresh Prince of Bel Air in the 90s (in the UK anyway)

- Taylor Swift and goats

I think anything that reminds people of Will Smith can only be a good thing...

Not so much Taylor Swift.

I'd love for None of the Above to be chosen, if only to hear Tim explain in interviews that everyone thought the other options weren't very good.

Maybe DF should be looking into a longer title, like: Forging the Future: A Tale of Two Youths.

Or maybe they could take a page from the Square Enix book of naming games and go with:

Discombobulated Floccinaucinihilipilification

Distorted Assembly

Leveraging Anathema

Invocatory Maleficent

On second thought…

Just wanted to say that "The Divide" is an important part of The Longest Journey lore. So, I don't think they should use it.

http://tlj.wikia.com/wiki/Divide

Oof, that sort of kills it for me. Doesn't mean it can't be called that, but makes it less appealing. I think some people have suggested some other good names, though. My favourites:

Worlds Apart - a little cliched, but basically works as a title.

The Space Between - Okay, I suggested this, but it's growing on me. Has a few different meanings.

Separate Ways - the Journey thing doesn't bother me, doubt it'll be an issue.

Anywhere Else - Not entirely convinced but I think it's better than the ones on the list.

Crossing Lines - Ditto

Maiden Voyage - I quite like this one for its double meaning that could apply to both stories. Maybe it's a little on the nose, but I do like it.

Not keen on Career Day like some people because I don't think it translates very well, internationally. Like, in the UK there are things called Career Fairs sometimes but Career Day isn't some ubiquitous thing.

I also weirdly, sneakingly, like None of the Above. I mean, it does work, for the story that's being told!

I also suggested: A Tale of Two

It's a play on A Tale of Two Cities.

I think it should be called A Tale of Two: It's a Play on A Tale of Two Cities

I have to say, some of the suggestions in this thread are WAAAAAY better than the list we had to choose from.

Sorry DF, but I didn't like any of them. None of them really jumped out at me or seem to cover both the boy and girl stories, they seemed to be more about the girls story.

Anyway here is my name suggestion, "Broken Duality".

ADVENTURE!

My suggestions would be "Little Rituals" or "Twin Fate" .

@SurplusGamer

The idea of not liking a certain name/acronym/... is mostly independent of its history.

Of course you can, or at least you should be able to, relate to younger people, otherwise you would have a hard time raising children but let's just swap the numbers, a couple of 41 year old protagonists have different point of views on a number of things, their perception is different and even if they share the same opinions it feels different to them, therefore teenage mature is different to grown up mature, i'm not talking about the more pseudo mature content they tend to come up with in video games when trying to be more grown up.

Sometimes the emotions and feelings can overlap, so you can enjoy an ice cream as much as a child does but for instance looking at a loss in your family will feel different to a child and a grown up because of all the things which happened in all those these years between them. All these tiny things set up a (slightly but important) different stage. The humour is different too. Depending on which ages you compare years get more irrelevant but especially the years of a teenager are relatively nuts due to all the changes they have to go through.

From what is known about the DFA, the game isn't built on an exceptional idea, it's more about how the idea will be executed and therefore i think it matters.

A Tale of Two sounds like one of the better suggestions if it fits to the game but i would continue looking for alternatives.

I've got a new one I really like.

Pandora's Roads: Down The Path Not Traveled

Also some alternate subtitles depending on how serious you want it to be:

Fateful Decisions

To Cross The Abyss

No, Your Other Left!

Hey, Where Does This Go?

You Should Have Paid Attention

Make A Left At Albuquerque

Sign in to follow this