Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

Small Offerings is definitely the best out of those.

I think the others are a little too pretentious. They're more Frank Frazetta than Bagel. "Small Offerings" sounds unassuming, but has a darkly comic undertone in light of the ritual-sacrifice element.

I mean, this game does have jokes in it, right?

I think the others are a little too pretentious. They're more Frank Frazetta than Bagel. "Small Offerings" sounds unassuming, but has a darkly comic undertone in light of the ritual-sacrifice element.

See, but there is also a boy in the story. Small Offerings is all about the girl. I think the title should capture the whole work.

*******UPDATE!!!

All right backers, we have some results. The two most popular names from the original poll are Broken Age and Small Offerings (Broken Age was #1). But there were also some popular suggestions from this thread: The Divide and World’s Apart. So we wanted to have a new poll just between those four options.

Check it out!

Reds Name Survey Take 2!

This is really awesome! Hope everyone sees this second poll so deep in the thread.

Still representing my submission, The Divide

Everyone should vote, no matter your choice. The end result doesn't have to be the name of the game, but it could stir something up in Tim's noggin. Good luck!

Before checking out the last poll I added the following suggestions Drifters or just Drift (,The): as in drifting in a current; wanderers with different origins going against the flow. I sensed that breaking out of the tradition/habits thing as a theme is key to the storyline and gave it a shot.

See, but there is also a boy in the story. Small Offerings is all about the girl. I think the title should capture the whole work.

Based on the skew of the titles, and what we've seen in the documentary so far, I'm thinking the boy's part of the game will be smaller than and secondary to the girl's. If it's not a story of perfect symmetry (which is totally fine by me, and maybe better storytelling) then it's okay for the title to reflect that.

As already said by others The Divide is a movie and an element from TLJ saga.

p.s. so another pool is needed..

Any way to keep the already established name "Double Fine Adventure" as a pre-title, like "Double Fine Adventure presents …", or just on the bottom of the box: "That Double Fine Adventure kickstarter game"?

I chose Worlds Apart, even though my gut instinct was to reach for Small Offerings. I think that part of the appeal of Small Offerings is the picture it creates, of something unusual and insignificant possibly becoming more, and the way the words flow together nicely. But looking at the themes of the game, and how it's structured into two stories that eventually become one (I am assuming that's still how it'll go), I eventually went for Worlds Apart, because not only is the game about two people whose lives and views on life are literally worlds apart (I am super excited for that potential moment when they meet and all of the misunderstandings you have no idea) but the themes of the game are about discovering power for yourself and how that power in turn effects those around you. And while The Divide could also work, I like both the way Worlds Apart sounds and the idea that what these characters thought power would give them and what it actually gives them are, in fact, worlds apart.

So that is my reasoning.

I suggested the most possible short but fitting title 'Two'

What would you call the sequel? Two 2?

Two: The Second

Two: Revengence

Two 2: Electric Boogaloo

Two: Reloaded

Any way to keep the already established name "Double Fine Adventure" as a pre-title, like "Double Fine Adventure presents …", or just on the bottom of the box: "That Double Fine Adventure kickstarter game"?

I do really like the name Double Fine Adventure but that's kinda the documentary title isn't it?

Just voted in the new poll. Like what's been narrowed down so far.

But here are some off the cuff suggestions, just to keep things circling, perhaps spark some other ideas:

Limit Breakers

Monster Gamble

The Pale

Far Flung

Dual

Into the Crevasse (sorry, couldn't resist)

Oh wait. Worlds Apart is that album by Saga that was so big in the 80s. Not sure I can get past that.

It shows up a lot of places, but I think it's because it's such a common expression. That's part of the reason I like it, though. People automatically have a sense of all these different meanings.

Saga wasn't one of them for me, but I understand, haha.

"Broken Age" is the one that really sounds like an actual title to me, it's very strong.

Small Offerings sound great to me. Subtle play on the summary, nothing "Hero of All Ages" like.

Small Offerings sound great to me. Subtle play on the summary, nothing "Hero of All Ages" like.

Quite like that too.

Small Sacrifice.

Just voted in the new poll. Like what's been narrowed down so far.

But here are some off the cuff suggestions, just to keep things circling, perhaps spark some other ideas:

Limit Breakers

Monster Gamble

The Pale

Far Flung

Dual

Into the Crevasse (sorry, couldn't resist)

I like all of these. Particularly Far Flung. Its sounds like it could be the title of a Discworld novel. I think that's the tone the game will try to go for.

I am starting to think that we should disregard the polls and Tim should do more or less the same he did for his other games.

The names we came up with lack something (I wish I could identify what).

Some problems I have with "Worlds Apart"

It's just been used A LOT.

Sadly so. I think it's a great fit, but Double Fine is known for its originality, and it appears that name is extremely overused. Damn. It seemed so fitting, too.

Well, I guess that one is shot. I'm happy that it was liked enough to be considered at least. =]

Sign in to follow this