Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

worlds afart but you need to turn the cloud colony into fart town

Wait... wasn't that an Amnesia Fortnight pitch?

Worlds Apart is also a (pretty friggin great) And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead song tho ionno if thats 'googleable enough' to be a problem really compared to the previous suggestions

still stickin with Divide/The Divide

Please not Worlds Apart. It just sounds waaay too clique and overused.

The Divide is the most pleasing out of the four.

I still love 'Horizon Break' though.

Just voted in the new poll. Like what's been narrowed down so far.

But here are some off the cuff suggestions, just to keep things circling, perhaps spark some other ideas:

Limit Breakers

Monster Gamble

The Pale

Far Flung

Dual

Into the Crevasse (sorry, couldn't resist)

I like all of these. Particularly Far Flung. Its sounds like it could be the title of a Discworld novel. I think that's the tone the game will try to go for.

Why thanks, Leroy... that's high praise coming from the official guru of hot. Did not know about Discworld, but the first book has now been Amazon WishListed!

Seriously this game deserves a more charming title than World of Guild of Ages of Empires or whatever.

Please not Worlds Apart. It just sounds waaay too clique and overused.

The Divide is the most pleasing out of the four.

Yeah, I think if we're tossing out Worlds Apart, I'm going to cast my vote for either The Divide or Broken Age.

How (boy name) met (girl name).

The Astronaut and the Princess

The Legend of the Astronaut and the Princess

The Story of ....

Is she a princess? I think I'm just remembering Tim's daughter saying that.

Astronaut and Sacrifice Girl doesn't sound very good though.

But I think adventure game titles have more specific elements than broad strokes.

The Mansion (full of maniacs), the Tentacle (who has a day), The throttle (which is full), The Island (full of Monkeys)

How (boy name) met (girl name).

The Astronaut and the Princess

The Legend of the Astronaut and the Princess

The Story of ....

Is she a princess? I think I'm just remembering Tim's daughter saying that.

Astronaut and Sacrifice Girl doesn't sound very good though.

But I think adventure game titles have more specific elements than broad strokes.

The Mansion (full of maniacs), the Tentacle (who has a day), The throttle (which is full), The Island (full of Monkeys)

Nice... was just thinking that the title could simply be the names of the two main characters. It's a tried and true approach.

And not to bring up Discworld again, but was looking through some of the book titles in the series and noticed this one: Small Gods. Liking the ring of that/punchier but similar to Small Offerings.

I'm rather fond of The Divide I feel that it strike the right sort of tone for the narrative that has been outlined. I would recommended Journey or The Passage, but those are already taken by other games.

While I really like The Divide I don't think it fits just right. I mean Grim Fandango, Psychonauts, Brütal Legend. Don't just describe the game it's story, but also represent it's aesthetic.

As great as the videos are I'm just not sure that we can feel the exact spirit of the game, which the other names listed really embody. So hopefully we've thrown enough spaghetti against the wall — that is Tim's brain — that something sticks, and takes form.

But to throw some spaghetti in the mix.

Fear Is The Key

Wildest Dreams

Different Worlds

(I wonder if there is a pattern there)

While I really like The Divide I don't think it fits just right. I mean Grim Fandango, Psychonauts, Brütal Legend. Don't just describe the game it's story, but also represent it's aesthetic.

Bagel's World

Broken Age would get my vote if I liked any of the names on the new poll. I still don't like any of them though.

Only slightly late to the party and I've already missed the first round of voting. Hooray! slash sarcasm

Any chance of seeing the list, so that I can know what might have been?

Looking at the list, hmmm, i thought things would improve instead of getting worse, no?

I'm rather fond of The Divide I feel that it strike the right sort of tone for the narrative that has been outlined. I would recommended Journey or The Passage, but those are already taken by other games.

As great as the videos are I'm just not sure that we can feel the exact spirit of the game, which the other names listed really embody. So hopefully we've thrown enough spaghetti against the wall — that is Tim's brain — that something sticks, and takes form.

I agree with you on that we don't truly know the game. The Divide could be perfect title, it may not. Only Tim and crew really know. I'm just happy to see my little contribution make it so far. There is a reason why I didn't start describing why I chose the name. I have my reasons, and Tim will pick the title for his reasons. It seems to resonate with most people without a description anyways.

Overall, this allowance of participation is fantastic and I'm only happy to have been part of it.

Must say I did a fist pump to see a title I submitted (The Divide) in there. Seems I'm not the only one to think of it, but it's still nice to see it making the list for round 2.

Personally I think I liked one of my other suggestions, [bitter|Sweet] better though. I also thought my third suggestion, Coming of Change, had interesting implications as well.

At any rate so long as we don't end up with Worlds Apart we'll be fine (despite the title being very apt, if perhaps obvious).

Some problems I have with "Worlds Apart"

It's just been used A LOT.

Phew.

I also felt that Broken Age might be too close to Broken Sword initially, but the sound of it has grown on me.

Mm, am I too late to offer a title? Here it goes then:

Saving ME

Cos they both take matters into their own hands and save themselves from a cruel destiny.

IF however they end up saving each other I'd say "Save me" is a lovely title, it's ambigous cos the girl can say it to the boy as much as the boy can say it to the girl.

So:

Saving ME

or

Save ME

I've come around on one of the original suggestions. I really like Broken Age now. It's descriptive and a little fun. I think what a lot of the user suggested names are missing is some fun. This includes The Divide. While I didn't hate the name initially, it just feels very... "blah." It feels like the name of a very non Tim Schafer game. It feels like the name of an adventure game that takes itself too seriously. I don't think Reds is that kind of game.

While I still hold out hope that Tim will have his "AHA!" moment for naming this game, I think Broken Age could fit really well.

Well I'm not going to sit idly without handing in my own pretentious title before we stop doing those. Brace yourselves.

Alterity

A trail of word searches through the internet led me to a postmodernist glossary and....

Anyway, it has to do with examining the self and doing so to consider the "other". For your dissolution.

Aaaaaand I'll show myself out.

Can't get past how angsty Broken Age sounds... like it's an Evanessence song or something. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Wait, no. Actually there is. That band stinks.

Can't get past how angsty Broken Age sounds... like it's an Evanessence song or something. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Wait, no. Actually there is. That band stinks.

I think Broken Age sounds like a caveman game for some reason.

Went Small Offerings again out of those 4.

The Divide and Worlds Apart sound like "we need a title for something, these sound generic and used before! success!"

The Cut is okay, but I agree that none of the options actually hit the themes that I'm feeling from what I've seen so far of the game, and from that description. I feel like something like "Another Place" or "Any Other Place" or "Anywhere Else" (the last of which is what I wrote in) would sort of simultaneously convey the idea of having two stories in separate locations, and also each child's aspiration to escape their current location.

I definitely agree with Anywhere Else, that gets my vote.

Ooh, Anywhere Else. I like that one.

I heartily endorse this product and/or service.

Thanks everybody for agreeing with me! Sad it didn't make it onto the second poll

Close!

Sign in to follow this