Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

They both make big bold decisions, but all the names are taken by action movies.

'Fearless', 'Valiant', 'Lionheart' etc. Then others sound like Tony Robbins Twitter advice 'Action', 'Progress'.

How about 'Bold'?

Not really fond of any of them. I find from my own writing that the right title jumps out at you in the form of an epiphany, but it's hard for anyone outside of the inner workings of that project to have that epiphany...and I'm not feeling any of these titles.

In that light, I made my own, which may not resonate with you either, considering my spectator status...but I called it "Duality". It's short, seemingly appropriate, and highlights the parallel nature of the game without focusing on either the boy or girl. Seems to me that the titles that you guys thought up mostly focus on the girl's story, and perhaps that is the actual focus of the project, but from where I'm standing, a more neutral name would be the better choice.

None of these really float my boat. The monster themed ones don't seen to fit the whole tale.

I line the suggestion above of Worlds Apart. Gets the feeling of two different scenarios across well and also implies a connection between them.

Sadly, Journey already claimed Separate Ways back in the 80s.

Two things are allowed to have the same title, in many cases, without fear of copyright/trademark problems. It's usually only problematic when there is likely to be a conflict of interest e.g. brand confusion :)

The Cut is okay, but I agree that none of the options actually hit the themes that I'm feeling from what I've seen so far of the game, and from that description. I feel like something like "Another Place" or "Any Other Place" or "Anywhere Else" (the last of which is what I wrote in) would sort of simultaneously convey the idea of having two stories in separate locations, and also each child's aspiration to escape their current location.

"Monster's Cradle" is the best one that actually parallels with both sides of the story, at least from what little I know about the story.

My submission is The Divide. Hope this helps or creates some inspiration. All in all I want this game to have a fitting title. Good luck Tim!

Nice Name.

I suggested the most possible short but fitting title 'Two'

It's none of the above for me as well. The ones listed seem to focus entirely on the girl's aspect of the story while ignoring the boy's. I'd need to know more about the game in order to supply an apt title of my own that would apply to both equally.

Based on what's given above, though, it seems like the most important aspect of the story is the unintended consequences of their actions. It seems to me the title should reflect that. It's possible one of the following could fit:

Cause/Effect

Effect (seems kind of appropriate even by itself)

Consequence

Volition

None of these really float my boat. The monster themed ones don't seen to fit the whole tale.

I line the suggestion above of Worlds Apart. Gets the feeling of two different scenarios across well and also implies a connection between them.

Sadly, Journey already claimed Separate Ways back in the 80s.

I vote that the license Separate Ways as both the title and the theme song

Gut reaction is that I don't like any of them, sorry Tim. But sadly this is a completely uninformed opinion!

[...]What about just the names of the two protagonists "X and Y" (Then you have to figure out who gets top billing :( )

My feelings are this, pretty much. The names on the survey sound almost generic, and don't seem to say much about the game and its setting.

Trying to think objectively however, names like Monkey Island or Costume Quest could be said to sound 'generic' when separated from their source. I think it's safe to say that people have become quite fond of those games/names, so I'm sure whatever gets picked will grow on me!

What would you call the sequel? Two 2?

It's an absolutely terrible title, but because I thought of it I now have to toss out "Non Euclidian Adventure: The Intersection of Parallel Lives" ;)

I voted for Small Offerings, and then gave my own small offering:

Begindependence Day

Maybe a bit too punbelievable or even not very attractive to look at. But while I'm at it, here's some brainstorming!

It's My Life

Taking Turns

His & Hers Prisoners

Separation Station

I actually quite like the idea of calling it "None of the Above" - I think it fits the theme for both characters without focusing on one more than the other. It's a bit clumsy, but it does get the point across.

I liked small offerings the best..at least it relates to the story and suggests that Tim Schafer quirkiness... There's definitely no Grim Fandango in those suggestions though!

If there is a sequel... it should tell the story of 3 protagonists. So I would call it 'Three'

Two: The Second

Worlds Apart

It's kind of a silly one but I like it

I like this a lot.

None of the default options work for me and, at least without knowing where the story goes, I don't really get the reasoning behind most of them.

What about just the names of the two protagonists "X and Y"

Actually, "X and Y" could work as a title in and of itself, on multiple levels. It could refer to the chromosomes of the main characters. It could also refer to how their lives have basically been assigned to them (like variables). They have to struggle to find their own way in worlds where they are only supposed to do exactly what is expected of them.

My submission is The Divide. Hope this helps or creates some inspiration. All in all I want this game to have a fitting title. Good luck Tim!

This is great, actually.

The Cut is okay, but I agree that none of the options actually hit the themes that I'm feeling from what I've seen so far of the game, and from that description. I feel like something like "Another Place" or "Any Other Place" or "Anywhere Else" (the last of which is what I wrote in) would sort of simultaneously convey the idea of having two stories in separate locations, and also each child's aspiration to escape their current location.

I definitely agree with Anywhere Else, that gets my vote.

Been working on a few expansions on the Codename "REDS", I'll show my workings:

1. "Rebellion Equals Dramatic Story" (Nah hasn't got the grippedness)

2. "Rebellion Equals Dramatic Scenes" (Not quite there)

3. "Rebellion Equals Dramatic Supervention"

su·per·vene (spr-vn)

intr.v. su·per·vened, su·per·ven·ing, su·per·venes

1. To come or occur as something extraneous, additional, or unexpected. See Synonyms at follow.

2. To follow immediately after; ensue.

3. Philosophy To be dependent on a set of facts or properties in such a way that change can occur only after change has occurred in those facts or properties.

I actually quite like the idea of calling it "None of the Above" - I think it fits the theme for both characters without focusing on one more than the other. It's a bit clumsy, but it does get the point across.

I had to go with None of the Above for my write-in too. Poll double entendre aside, if you look at the story setup as the whole breaking out of a fixed 'fated' set of option (Get sacrificed, Eat breakfast when the Ships Computer wants you to) 'None of the Above' has a kind of nice thematic resonance :D

Worlds Apart

It's kind of a silly one but I like it

I don't think this is cheesy, it's old-style cute, which seems the style the game's going for. Remember, anything cheesy, expressed well enough, can be convincing.

Frustratingly The Cut is easily the best one, but it's also too close to The Cave to not remind me instantly of it.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. How about calling all games Double Fine makes from now on "The C-something"? The Cave, The Cut, The Crustacean, The Camaraderie, etc.

Sign in to follow this