Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

Haha, Twice Upon A Time is pretty good. I like that. ^_^

Twice Upon A Time

The Double Fine Adventure

The behind Confined Spaces and Monster Chases is that they are having to face their issues. That's how I'm interpreting the story so far anyways, even though I may be off-base.

"Maiden Voyage" is sorta clever, but it also seems like the kind of joke Carrot Top would make. (Look! I spelled the name Judy with garland. Get it? Judy Garland! For my next joke, it's a maiden on a voyage...)

It's also another title too skewed toward the girl and neglecting the boy. Again, if we were picking a title for just the girl's story, I'd vote for The Maiden Feast instantly.

"Maiden Voyage" is sorta clever, but it also seems like the kind of joke Carrot Top would make. (Look! I spelled the name Judy with garland. Get it? Judy Garland! For my next joke, it's a maiden on a voyage...)

It's also another title too skewed toward the girl and neglecting the boy. Again, if we were picking a title for just the girl's story, I'd vote for The Maiden Feast instantly.

I think it's pretty balanced between the two - if anything it's slightly skewed towards the boys side because "Maiden Voyage" immediately evokes thoughts a ship leaving the safety of the harbour for the first time.

I chose "Small Offerings". That name resonates the most with me out of the four options. I think it requires a bit more thought in order to understand how it relates to the game and therefore adds more impact and meaning to the name once you figure out a/the connection.

I think you could use it for the feeling/idea that the kids lives were "small offerings" for the happiness/safety of their societies or the ones they care about, or for the idea that the things that they are sacrificing, such as their societal norms or the happiness of those they care about, are all "small offerings" for what may end up being the greater good, either for their society/relationship(s) or for themselves. For example, in the girl's storyline, if they discover a new way to ward off the monster, then girls won't be sacrificed anymore, which saves many lives over time, and would therefore be better than the established way of doing things --if that's what happens, of course.

I think this could also be used for advertising in some way, such as "What would you sacrifice to live your own life?" or "What would you sacrifice for the greater good?" "The safety of your village? The happiness of those you love? In the end, these could all just be Small Offerings." or something like that.

Missing the "none of above" in the new poll because it´s still "none of above" from my side.

Like Twice Upon A Time pretty much!

Something which just strike my mind (I submitted it as well):

Jokers of Destiny/Fate

or

Jesters of Destiny/Fate

Well, I would like to elaborate further why I proposed this title and why I think it perfectly fits to this game, considering what has been revealed about the plot. So let's take this title

Jesters of Fate (or Destiny)

So, first of all what do we have in this game? We have two characters, two children whose FATE has been predefined, more or less like what was the case with the FATE of most people under the rulersip of Kings in the medieval era.

Now think of what JESTERS (also known as a FOOL) were: Jesters were employed to entertain a ruler in medieval times. Jesters were, perhaps, the most close person to the ruler, their favorite entertainer. However their position near the ruler, along with their license to mock and speak freely, was exploited, many times, to dispense frank observations and highlight the folly of his monarch (that is why they are cosidered also symbolic of common sense and honesty). This is more or less what our two heroes decide to do: mocking/fooling their "rulers" and changing the FATE prescribed from them, playing exaclty like JESTERS.

But mocking the king was not always without consequences. Much as the king could consider the JESTER'S jokes as a kind of "advice" towards him, reconsidering his rulership (that is improving the FATE of the people under his command, including the JESTER's FATE), the opposite was also possible. The JESTER , who overdraw the limits could loose his ruler's favor and tolerance, resulting to his isolation from the king, and to a FATE much worst than what was initially prescribed to him (like ban, execution, etc).

It's an allegory which I think fits perfectly to the plot of this game. Two children, two JESTERS OF their FATE.

Tim, please consider it seriously as a title.

Voted for Worlds Apart but Twice Upon a Time might be better! Neither is as good as Grim Fandango though.

RE: The Grim Fandango moment,

I wonder, if before the release of Grim it was described in a similar fashion and the name Grim fandango was on a list with 7 other names, would it stand out?

It's name is loved now, long after the fact, but would you really have picked it out of a list of names before playing it?

Yes. It shows a sense of mystery and the use of the uncommon word 'Fandango' is brilliant.

@Greco

How can you seriously think that you could come up with a perfectly fitting name if you don't know the game?! The only one who really is able to do so is Schafer himself because he groks the game. The rest, depending on how much they know about the game, can only guess and come up with more generic names. On the other side increasing the font size and putting in some flashy colours for sure underline the quality of a suggestion.

@Schafer

Please take your time and try to think up something better, something unique, something awesome, something which is worth a three million dollar point&click; adventure production.

Missing the "none of above" in the new poll because it´s still "none of above" from my side.

Like Twice Upon A Time pretty much!

Indeed!

Twice upon a time

Protip: if your title contains the words "Fate" or "Destiny" it is not a good title.

I could get behind Twice Upon a Time. Though I'm not sure how appropriate it would really be for this game.

@Greco

How can you seriously think that you could come up with a perfectly fitting name if you don't know the game?! The only one who really is able to do so is Schafer himself because he knows the game. The rest, depending on how much they grok the game, can only guess and come up with more generic names. On the other side increasing the font size and putting in some flashy colours for sure underline the quality of a suggestion.

@Schafer

Please take your time and try to think up something better, something awesome, something which is worth a three million dollar adventure production.

Please read carefully what I wrote:

Considering what has been revealed about the plot

It is there in the begining of my post. I enlarged it here, in order to see it better!

Bold Sacrifices

GetAways

Hopes & Sacrifices

Stalled Hopes

Dividing Escape

Escape From the Divide

Pressing Matters

@Greco

I wasn't able to read that because of the large fonts i had to move away from the screen, so the normal size was just too small.

I suggested the most possible short but fitting title 'Two'

What would you call the sequel? Two 2?

Two: The Second

Two: Revengence

Two 2: Electric Boogaloo

Two: Reloaded

Two: Revolutions

@Greco

I wasn't able to read that because of the large fonts i had to move away from the screen, so the normal size was just too small.

If this is the case, then the word "underline" in your previous post does not fit. You might need to revise your post. Use "downgrade" instead.

You jester of Font size

Here I put it small enough to come closer and see better the rest :-)

Ahh, that's much better, now i can move back, well, i was associating.

Protip: if your title contains the words "Fate" or "Destiny" it is not a good title.

I could get behind Twice Upon a Time. Though I'm not sure how appropriate it would really be for this game.

Well, others I have thought of is Future or Fortune, though I do not know if they give the correct emphasis!

Jesters of Future or Jesters of Fortune

some of them can be used alike in the front.

For example: Fortune Jesters or Fate Jesters

May I please ask, why you don't consider those two words appropriate?

I know they are both very strong words , but in my opinion the key in this title lies in the use of the word "jester" which is very unusual, thus, turning it much stronger, from either of the former two to be combined with!

Or like Sergio Leone would do another italo western, or like a spin off to that fantasy tv serie, ...

Well, others I have thought of is Future or Fortune, though I do not know if they give the correct emphasis!

I know they are both very strong words , but in my opinion the key in this title lies in the use of the word "jester" which is very unusual, thus, turning it much stronger, from either of the former two to be combined with!

The reason that I personally don't think they are appropriate is that the word has a couple of connotations that I don't think fit. First of all, in classic archetypes, the Jester or Fool character in a play would be a character who appears naive and silly, but says things that actually point out how naive and foolish everyone else in the story is. You see a lot of this in Shakespeare for example. So the Jester is sort of famous for being a wise man who acts like a fool. In this story we have two characters who aren't wise, they're naive and discovering their independence, and then discovering the problems that come with that. They'll get wiser by the end of the story, of course, but I don't think it works for their characters.

Another thing about Jester is that it's often used to connote a sort of mischievous, devilish character as it was in the old adventure game Legend of Kyrandia, for example. But mainly the first thing.

The reason that I personally don't think they are appropriate is that the word has a couple of connotations that I don't think fit. First of all, in classic archetypes, the Jester or Fool character in a play would be a character who appears naive and silly, but says things that actually point out how naive and foolish everyone else in the story is. You see a lot of this in Shakespeare for example. So the Jester is sort of famous for being a wise man who acts like a fool. In this story we have two characters who aren't wise, they're naive and discovering their independence, and then discovering the problems that come with that. They'll get wiser by the end of the story, of course, but I don't think it works for their characters.

Another thing about Jester is that it's often used to connote a sort of mischievous, devilish character as it was in the old adventure game Legend of Kyrandia, for example. But mainly the first thing.

Well your thought but from another point of view is what prompted me to propose this title. Please check my thought.

We have two small childrens. Children are considered as naive and foolish to everybody, due to their imaturity. They are not consider ready to take decision and their future is prescribed by others. Yet, their wisdom, their personality is there, and much like a jester exploit it to tell the truth, to change their prescribed future which is not the better for them. Though other will always consider them as children!

In my country (Greece) we have an old saying which translated in English goes like that:

"Only from the Fool and the Child you can learn the Truth", I do not know if something similar exists in English!

Well your thought but from another point of view is what prompted me to propose this title. Please check my thought.

We have two small childrens. Children are considered as naive and foolish to everybody, due to their imaturity. They are not consider ready to take decision and their future is prescribed by others. Yet, their wisdom, their personality is there, and much like a jester exploit it to tell the truth, to change their prescribed future which is not the better for them. Though other will always consider them as children!

In my country (Greece) we have an old saying which translated in English goes something like that:

"Only from the Fool and the Child you can learn the Truth", I do not know if something similar exists in English!

While I agree with your sentiment, it's not in the spirit of a coming of age story. The point is that these children are independent enough to know they want to break free of whatever restrictions are holding them back, but still too naive to know how best to wield that new power. It's not wisdom to want to not be eaten by a monster, and it's not wisdom to want a more exciting life. They learn wisdom through whatever trials they go through in the game.

14 year olds are teenagers not children anymore, puberty, hormones, parents get weird, ...

14 year olds are teenagers not children anymore, puberty, hormones, parents get weird, ...

I'm happy to say when I was 14 I was a child. I was a teenager too, but I was a child. It's not like you wake up one morning and you're no longer a child. In fact, I think part of growing up is understanding that there's no magic moment when all of how to be an adult clicks into place, and embracing the part of you that is still like a child. But anyway, these are just quibbles.

Times have changed (at least here), they are expected to grow up faster these days.

Sign in to follow this