Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

Times have changed (at least here), they are expected to grow up faster these days.

Sure, maybe. But that doesn't mean that they do. I don't mean any disrespect to children, teenagers or whatever. I was considered very mature for my age. I just think that a big part of growing up is in coming to terms with the fact that it's not really something that ever really stops. And that's a realisation that I think has to happen a bit later.

Personally I think I grew up the most when I realised that I'm just as playful, silly, and have the capacity to be just as curious about the world as I was when I was a child, and that there's never going to be the serious, adult version of me I had in my head. Just a more experienced version of the child who has learned ways of dealing with the world.

Times have changed (at least here), they are expected to grow up faster these days.

Children are everybody until the age of 18. Thereafter we call them adults.

Teenagers is a subcategory of children which refers to their upper childhood.

The etymology of the greek word for teenagers clearly points this out, since it has to do with the growness of hair in the private parts of the human body, along with the ability to use them for reproduction.

Children are everybody until the age of 18. Thereafter we call them adults.

Teenagers is a subcategory of children which refers to their upper childhood.

The etymology of the greek word for teenagers clearly points this out, since it has to do with the growness of hair in the private parts of the human body, along with the ability to use them for reproduction.

I don't disagree, but don't cling too tightly to definitions and etymology... as a greek, you should understand better than most that these things are highly flexible through time! :)

I have voted but none of the names in the poll are particularly exciting or in keeping with Double Fine.

The idea I have come up with is based on the unknown consequences of decisions in life and the fact that there are two main characters who want to change their lives but I have tried to get away from all the Emo type nonsense and come up with something a little more Double Fine like. I give you:

Two Be Determined

May I please ask, why you don't consider those two words appropriate?

I know they are both very strong words , but in my opinion the key in this title lies in the use of the word "jester" which is very unusual, thus, turning it much stronger, from either of the former two to be combined with!

It's not that they are strong or deep, it's that they are bland cliche words that make it sound like a piece of slash fiction.

@SurplusGamer

I guess i never was expected being primary mature for my age (confessions you never should make on a forum) and i still have a big child inside me but things really changed. You recognise this with your own children or when you're meeting others (f.e. my climbing partner is 17) and so on. Getting grown up for sure isn't like crossing a certain border, that's only true for things like getting a driving licence, beginning to study, etc. I remember being at this age like having a lot of fun, reading tons of books, playing video games, thinking that the world is a weird place, thinking about those girls, ... The more philosophical thoughts needed some more time to come, the last years in school and the university time probably for many is the time of their life regarding freedom and spare time and so playing around with these things.

It also heavily varies, already on earth, on where you're coming from. Living in a western industrial civilisation isn't the norm. But even if you grew up there, the about 14 years old i know would probably feel offended if you would still call them children.

the about 14 years old i know would probably feel offended if you would still call them children.

Maybe the reason they'd get offended is because they're not yet grown up enough to realise that it's not an insult.

Nope, it's because children really is the wrong term for them, they are teenagers, that's the time after being a child and before getting an adult and its important to them that you acknowledge this.

Nope, it's because children really is the wrong term for them, they are teenagers, that's the time after being a children and before getting an adult and its important to them that you acknowledge this.

Well, if you want to draw harsh lines between stages of life that's up to you. :) I'll continue doing my thing - it has no bearing on what we were talking about before.

I'm just speaking out of practice. It's not me who wants to draw those lines. Feel free to do whatever you want.

Well I voted for Worlds Apart. Even though I don't think it's a good title, it's the best one I've heard yet...

Why did they remove the name suggestion field from the survey?

Well I voted for Worlds Apart. Even though I don't think it's a good title, it's the best one I've heard yet...

Why did they remove the name suggestion field from the survey?

I think they have to finalise a name soon. My guess would be they want to start producing trailers and promoting this at Pax East, etc. and it's hard to do that properly without a name.

I don't like any of them. I don't think the 'Grim Fandango' moment has happened yet, and personally I'd prefer the naming were done after that moment happens, not by poll...

Personally, 'Flight of the Tadpole' is one name I'm growing attached to. Any thoughts on it, guys?

I like Flight of the Tadpole a whooooole lot. Double thumbs up from me.

Edit: liked your description too, not sure why you edited it out!

Edit 2: I like the use of the word "Flight" in general, as it definitely applies to both stories. Even something simple like:

Taking Flight: A Double Fine Adventure

Woo, an approval!

Alright then, I'll re-describe it.

I like the name Flight of the Tadpole for several reasons - first of all, the name overall sounds like some sort of big adventure, but not a conventional one, a somehow weird and unusual one. Tadpole relates to how the characters are growing up, in that awkward phase where they're too old to be treated like children but too young to really make entirely smart decisions on their own, essentially in a metamorphosis from tadpole to frog. Except the tadpole is deciding to take flight, not just grow legs, similar to how the characters are rebelling against their parents rather than doing what is expected of them, and I think this name suggests stubbornness, determination, but also possibly short-sightedness or even stupidity. Plus, 'flight' is exactly what both characters do - the girl runs away from home, while the boy takes off in the spaceship to explore new lands.

honestly I think it's just a little convoluted, a little contrived. I like the idea behind it, but it's not quite self-explanatory so I think it would probably just come across as weird.

I like the idea of flight, but I haven't seen a 'Flight' title yet that I completely love. Taking Flight is a good title in principle but it somehow brings to mind a heartwarming straight to TV movie.

I have voted but none of the names in the poll are particularly exciting or in keeping with Double Fine.

The idea I have come up with is based on the unknown consequences of decisions in life and the fact that there are two main characters who want to change their lives but I have tried to get away from all the Emo type nonsense and come up with something a little more Double Fine like. I give you:

Two Be Determined

Does nobody like my idea or did it just get lost in the child/adult argument? ;)

Two Be Determined

Does nobody like my idea or did it just get lost in the child/adult argument? ;)

I think I'd like it better if it was just 'To Be Determined.' But I can see it now:

"The name of the game is To Be Determined"

"Oh, when do you think you'll know?"

"No, the name, it's 'To Be Determined'"

"Yeah, when??"

"ARGH."

Two Be Determined

I think I'd like it better if it was just 'To Be Determined.' But I can see it now:

"Yeah, when??"

"ARGH."

Yes but "A Double Fine Adventure: Two Be Determined" has a reasonable ring to it.

I know I would like to keep the Double Fine Adventure bit as would many people on here.

I suggested the most possible short but fitting title 'Two'

What would you call the sequel? Two 2?

Two: The Second

Two: Revengence

Two: The Reckoning

Two Be Determined

"Yeah, when??"

"ARGH."

Yes but "A Double Fine Adventure: Two Be Determined" has a reasonable ring to it.

I know I would like to keep the Double Fine Adventure bit as would many people on here.

I think the reason that I don't think it has a ring to it is that 'to' doesn't actually sound exactly the same as 'two'. 'to' is a short sound and 'two' is a little bit of a longer one. So in my head it sounds like a bit of a laboured pun, like someone is saying 'TWO Be Determined. Yeah? Yeah?? *nudge, wink*'

I'm not against having A Double Fine Adventure as a sort of thing on the box or in the marketing or whatever, but I don't think it needs to be an integral part of the title. Just makes it seem long and wordy and indecisive if it's there all the time.

Two Be Determined

"Yeah, when??"

"ARGH."

I think the reason that I don't think it has a ring to it is that 'to' doesn't actually sound exactly the same as 'two'. 'to' is a short sound and 'two' is a little bit of a longer one. So in my head it sounds like a bit of a laboured pun, like someone is saying 'TWO Be Determined. Yeah? Yeah?? *nudge, wink*'

I'm not against having A Double Fine Adventure as a sort of thing on the box or in the marketing or whatever, but I don't think it needs to be an integral part of the title. Just makes it seem long and wordy and indecisive if it's there all the time.

It's not supposed to be a pun like that, the intention was the double meaning: "To be determined" as in life is unknown and "Two be determined" as in the two kids are determined to make their own choices. But each to their own, I was just pretty happy with it after coming up with and seeing so many serious and mopey attempts! :)

The name of this game should have the Double Fine spirit and most suggestions so far don't have that.

Two Be Determined

"Yeah, when??"

"ARGH."

It's not supposed to be a pun like that, the intention was the double meaning: "To be determined" as in life is unknown and "Two be determined" as in the two kids are determined to make their own choices. But each to their own, I was just pretty happy with it after coming up with and seeing so many serious and mopey attempts! :)

A pun is a play on words that relies on words that have multiple meanings, or two similar sounding words with different meanings... so it is supposed to be a pun, there's no getting away from that :) I don't think puns are inherently bad though, I'm just not personally fond of this one; I think it sounds a bit wrong. I think it's good to be taking different approaches, too, so I'm not trying to discourage that. But I don't think people are intentionally coming up with mopey titles, I just think that most titles sound either over-mopey or over-silly until the right balance is found :)

Finally, I don't think there's really any such thing as a name with the Double Fine spirit. And if there is, I'm not sure Two Be Determined is it (I don't mean that as an insult, I just don't think it conjures up DF for me.)

Previous DF names:

Psychonauts

Brütal Legend

Once upon a Monster

Stacking

Costume Quest

Dropchord

Iron Brigade (formerly Trenched)

Double Fine Happy Action Theater

Kinect Party

Middle Manager of Justice

It seems to me that there's no real pattern there, some funny names (Middle Manager of Justice), some fairly straightforward names (Costume Quest, Stacking) , some names which refer directly to something in the game (Psychonauts), some which are more conceptual (Dropchord).

A pun is a play on words that relies on words that have multiple meanings, or two similar sounding words with different meanings... so it is supposed to be a pun, there's no getting away from that :) I don't think puns are inherently bad though, I'm just not personally fond of this one; I think it sounds a bit wrong. I think it's good to be taking different approaches, too, so I'm not trying to discourage that. But I don't think people are intentionally coming up with mopey titles, I just think that most titles sound either over-mopey or over-silly until the right balance is found :)

Fair enough.

I've been thinking of some others too, what do you think of:

Life by Misadventure

"Higher Calling"

The venues we know about so far are in the clouds, and in space, which both lend a literal meaning. Both characters struggle to break free from the expectations of others, and find a greater purpose.

Doesn't seem like this name is attached to any major franchises -- about the only negative I can think of is possible religious connotations.

Fair enough.

Life by Misadventure

Haha, I just want to point out that I don't consider myself the self-appointed name-judger here, it's just that I have some free time at this second so I'm posting a lot :)

Still, I prefer that title, but it's a bit long, and I tend to not like titles of more than a few syllables unless they've got a good rhythm to it. Like how 'Day of the Tentacle' has that kind of 6/4 'diddy-diddly' rhythm. I don't think "Life by Misadventure" rolls off the tongue. I'd like "Misadventures" on its own, but that seems a little on-the-nose because it's an adventure game.

"Higher Calling"

The venues we know about so far are in the clouds, and in space, which both lend a literal meaning. Both characters struggle to break free from the expectations of others, and find a greater purpose.

Doesn't seem like this name is attached to any major franchises -- about the only negative I can think of is possible religious connotations.

Yeah, 'higher calling' is one of those phrases that I just find a little eye-rollingly pious, it doesn't seem quite right for a pair who are rebelling against the norm and making mistakes because of it.

I feel a bit guilty about posting to criticise all these good brainstorming ideas, but I'd do the same for my own - I don't think I've come up with any that are quite right, yet.

Fair enough.

Life by Misadventure

Haha, I just want to point out that I don't consider myself the self-appointed name-judger here, it's just that I have some free time at this second so I'm posting a lot :)

Still, I prefer that title, but it's a bit long, and I tend to not like titles of more than a few syllables unless they've got a good rhythm to it. Like how 'Day of the Tentacle' has that kind of 6/4 'diddy-diddly' rhythm. I don't think "Life by Misadventure" rolls off the tongue. I'd like "Misadventures" on its own, but that seems a little on-the-nose because it's an adventure game.

I know and I'm in the same situation ;)

It is supposed to be a twist of the phrase "Death by Misadventure" which is usually used to describe, in law, someone who has died by accident. Funny you should mention the syllables thing because in my head it is said in the exact same way as Day of the Tentacle.

'higher calling' is one of those phrases that I just find a little eye-rollingly pious

Gotcha. I know you're right, and I feel the same way now about my favorite earlier idea "Kindred". They lean toward instant cliche the same way anything with the words "faith" and "destiny" do.

Sign in to follow this