Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

Broken Age (#1 in the first poll) and that was a suggestion by Lee Petty, and I do like it be cause it stands for many things: the broken society in which they live, and the awkward age of the protagonists, and how they are breaking free of tradition.
This would've surely swayed me to vote for Broken Age rather than World's Apart.

As mentioned above, it's awfully close to Broken Sword so it might take some getting used to another game with "Broken" in the title.Tim Schafer

Man oh man. I keep looking at this and a tear comes to my eye when I think it could've possibly been The Divide.

119wljb.jpg

Nope, it's because children really is the wrong term for them, they are teenagers, that's the time after being a child and before getting an adult and its important to them that you acknowledge this.

Cognitive and developmental psychology disagrees with you. As do laws and cultural norms.

Ouch, I hate "Broken Age" as a title since the first poll. I don't know why, but I feel it like a brutal legend sequel title more than anything "Brutal Legend 2 : Broken age" ... It sounds great, but not for DFA...

Since a lot of people voted for "worlds apart", you should maybe make another poll without it, so people can chose between "Broken age", "Small Offerings" and "The divide".

the about 14 years old i know would probably feel offended if you would still call them children.

Maybe the reason they'd get offended is because they're not yet grown up enough to realise that it's not an insult.

This has the benefit of being both funny and poignant.

Should perhaps call it "Grown/Growing Up" with the logo hanging on the tree that divides the girl and the boys world, with each of them leaning on their respective tree staring upwards (75 degree angle). Or "Crossing Paths". Or "Root of Two".

Still liked "Small Offerings" best out of those. I think some people react poorly to it because it has "small" in it, and they want this game to be grand and manly sounding... the size of worlds, spanning ages. Big and ominous and epic.

But what we've seen of the game and story seems more focused, personal and quirky. More Hobbit than Lord of the Rings, you know?

Geeez, I am disappointed with this game so far. First the Bagel's style artwork which I didn't like from the start, then this boring growing up teenagers themed story (I want ADVENTURE! not some emo drama) and now the title. Well at least the documentary was worth backing. Sorry, I had to say that, hopefully the game will be great but I have a bad feeling about it.

The story is adventure, escaping from stuff. "Teenagers growing up" is the subtext-- not exactly a rare subtext for adventure stories, either. Can't imagine why you'd have a problem with it.

It's a good idea to go with the name for a while and see if it works, but due to the name similarity to Broken Sword, perhaps we should consider:

A Broken Age

or

The Broken Age

?

Geeez, I am disappointed with this game so far. First the Bagel's style artwork which I didn't like from the start, then this boring growing up teenagers themed story (I want ADVENTURE! not some emo drama) and now the title. Well at least the documentary was worth backing. Sorry, I had to say that, hopefully the game will be great but I have a bad feeling about it.

I remember my teenage years. Ahh growing up, how I had to hack the computer controlling the space ship that I was born in and that time my sister was almost eaten by a giant tentacled monster that the village was sacrificing her to. Good thing we didn't have any adventure to deal with, just normal boring teenage growing up.

I don't get how the title "Small Offerings" relates to the premise. So I'm not gonna vote till I know that. Could someone explain it to me?

I don't get how the title "Small Offerings" relates to the premise. So I'm not gonna vote till I know that. Could someone explain it to me?

Human sacrificial offerings.

We have two amazing lives that are completely disconnected and alien from one another. Yet at the very heart, these lives share the same story. I propose the title:

Twin Tales

Simple yet catchy!

I think you might be on to something here. A two word title with the first word describing some sort of link between the two protagonists and the second one describing their task.

First word:

Twin

Divided

Mirror

Bonded

Bounded

Merged

United

Linked

Wovened

Fused

Reflecting

Second word:

Tales

Quests

Journeys

Destinies

Sacrifices

Rites

Obligations

Maturations

Ages

I think the best ones from these ideas are:

Bond by Destiny

I would like to ask if you can you provide us with the actual results of the 2nd voting? That is how much votes each title got?

Sure!

Like I said, you REALLY liked Worlds Apart. :)

I didn't really research that name until it did so well in the polls. That's when I found all the previous uses that invalidated that name in my eyes.

Broken Age!

Well thank you.

The only thing with the Broken Age, is that it reminds me of another great classic adventure: the Broken sword, though I don't know if this is good or bad.

I still like "Anywhere Else" the best, even though it wasn't in the poll. Everything else either seems too generic or doesn't fit thematically. "Anywhere Else" has a ring to it, plus it captures the themes of escape/call to adventure + adolescent angst pretty well.

Yeah, "Anywhere Else" remains one of my favorites, too. “Ravines, Monsters and Space” is my other favorite, which I think has a fun adventure kind of feel.

Broken Age is the title I've liked since the first poll.

As for sounding like another title, I think by this stage you'd be hard pressed to find titles are absolutely unique sound as well as relevant to the story.

We have two amazing lives that are completely disconnected and alien from one another. Yet at the very heart, these lives share the same story. I propose the title:

Twin Tales

Simple yet catchy!

I think you might be on to something here. A two word title with the first word describing some sort of link between the two protagonists and the second one describing their task.

First word:

Twin

Divided

Mirror

Bonded

Bounded

Merged

United

Linked

Wovened

Fused

Reflecting

Second word:

Tales

Quests

Journeys

Destinies

Sacrifices

Rites

Obligations

Maturations

Ages

I think the best ones from these ideas are:

Bond by Destiny

Wovened Maturations.

Done.

BROKEN AGE sounds like basic off the shelf teen angst. I was hoping for some originality. A wayward colorful fairy tale. I'll get back if something comes to mind.

Hey, what is this, there suddenly are polls going on!

I didn't see the original list of titles (is there any way to access the results of the first poll?), but out of the current pool I really like "Small Offerings", just because it sounds somehow modest in itself and, essentially, a bunch of "small offerings" are what made Reds possible.

"Broken Age" just sounds waaaay too generic to me and reminds me of the six-volume run-of-the-mill fantasy sagas that you would find on the pariah bookshelf of your local bookshop.

If all else fails, you could just go with the completely bare-bones "A Girl And A Boy". That'd be fine. Not very SEO-friendly, though.

I agree with Tim. Worlds Apart simply isn't original or clever in any way.

As someone else said on here, Broken Age reminds me of a medieval strategy/fantasy game.

I hope something inspires someone to come up with something else.

Broken Age sounds too much like Broken Sword, in my opinion - and seeing as Broken Sword 5 is on the way and will probably be released around the same time as Double Fine Adventure, this seems like a poor choice for a name.

Ouch! I'm afraid Kasper is right.

Well, it's not set in stone yet.

Too bad, I really liked Broken Age...

I would like to ask if you can you provide us with the actual results of the 2nd voting? That is how much votes each title got?

Sure!

Like I said, you REALLY liked Worlds Apart. :)

I didn't really research that name until it did so well in the polls. That's when I found all the previous uses that invalidated that name in my eyes.

Broken Age!

Any chance we can get a new poll where Worlds Apart is not an option? The other three options are very close, and none get even 25%. Taking Worlds Apart out of the equation may give a more clear winner. I admit, I'm saying this because Broken Age is my least favorite of the 4 options and I would have been happy with any of the others, so I'm hoping it doesn't stick.

Sign in to follow this