Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

As an example of bad survey making, I added an option after we already got many responses. :)

Hey, this isn't science!

It's art!

And stuff!

Kind of really like The Divide!

I vote for The Divide in the second round survey.

Wow, thanks for the support everyone! Even if this isn't chosen, it's sure making my night!

My submission is The Divide. Hope this helps or creates some inspiration. All in all I want this game to have a fitting title. Good luck Tim!

I'm going to add myself to the list of advocates for "The Divide." Its a nice title.

I don't particularly like any of them. Hopefully some good ideas shake out in the survey.

I suggested "Rites of Passage" because the game seems so rooted in the coming-of-age theme.

The Cut is okay, but I agree that none of the options actually hit the themes that I'm feeling from what I've seen so far of the game, and from that description. I feel like something like "Another Place" or "Any Other Place" or "Anywhere Else" (the last of which is what I wrote in) would sort of simultaneously convey the idea of having two stories in separate locations, and also each child's aspiration to escape their current location.

I definitely agree with Anywhere Else, that gets my vote.

Ooh, Anywhere Else. I like that one.

Worlds Apart

It's kind of a silly one but I like it

I will echo that this is not bad. I like it more than the suggestions on the list.

"Lusus Naturae"

Keeping with the monster theme, this is Latin for "monster" or "freak of nature" - applicable also to both the protagonists who go against what is expected of them...

It's an absolutely terrible title, but because I thought of it I now have to toss out "Non Euclidian Adventure: The Intersection of Parallel Lives" ;)
"Parallel Lives" seems like a decent sort of a name.

None of the names quite resonated fully. I guess small offerings was my favorite but it feels too artsy and understated, like the title to some contemplative short story. I did a write-in for worlds apart because I thought it was the best I saw between the forum and the survey.

I didn't like any of them either. My suggestion was "Reach Other" for several reasons.

* At that age you're trying to "reach out" to your peers and find yourself in the world

* the main characters are trying to "reach" the "other" to escape their status quo

* Since the stories are (presumably) intertwined they have to care for "each other" if not in the context of their parents somewhat taking care of them

* It's all about the "other" in terms of gameplay when you switch between the characters you have to plan your moves in the "other" world

* It makes a good pun for a tagline "They R EACH OTHER"

I can't say that any of those names really stood out to me. I made the suggestion of the title Wandering Age, but I'm not to big on it either.

Amazing Extreme Adventures of the Intrepid Duo Traversing Universal InterPlanetary Space.

Stick a "Super" in front of the and you sir have the title.

My submission is The Divide. Hope this helps or creates some inspiration. All in all I want this game to have a fitting title. Good luck Tim!

I really like The Divide.

dont post often but i was thinkin about this and i like it

perhaps even dropping the The to just make it Divide. sorta a noun and verb thing all at once

"Lusus Naturae"

Keeping with the monster theme, this is Latin for "monster" or "freak of nature" - applicable also to both the protagonists who go against what is expected of them...

Let's not try to stealthily add Homestuck into this. OK?

I was thinking of something like 'Parting Ways' to follow the thinking of the breaking of traditions. It's also an opposite of what (I assume) will happen to the characters when (if) they meet.

I think my favourite I have seen from the forum so far though is 'Anywhere Else'

None of the names listed in the survey really caught me. I must agree with some of the other past posters to this forum on the issue that having the title center around "Monsters" seems a little one sided. Plus you already have Once Upon a Monster. The same logic could also be applied to The Cut sounding a lot like The Cave, but I didn't really draw that conclusion with that particular name, I just didn't really feel like it conveyed the game properly.

I decided to to suggest a name instead. I wanted to find a name that could somehow incorporate the original title of this project, Double Fine Adventures. My suggested title is The Fine Line.

There is a line that separates these two stories, there is a path/line that the two characters do not want to follow anymore, so they deviate from it. You also mentioned in your summary that by doing so, they learn that they could be hurting the people they love, meaning they must walk a "fine line" between doing what they want to do, and doing the right thing.

I think The Cut is the best of those listed, in that it refers to the characters' seperate storylines, as well as their separating themselves from their respective traditions. I suggested Growing Apart, which has a similar double meaning. I don't think it's particularly catchy as a title though.

I really like The Divide.

dont post often but i was thinkin about this and i like it

perhaps even dropping the The to just make it Divide. sorta a noun and verb thing all at once

I was thinking about that too. Any take on the word really. Divide would work nicely.

Again, all this lovely support is making me smile ear to ear. :]

Worlds Apart

That was actually a really good one based on what we know about the game.

Hmm... t'is a tricky one indeed.

None of the names on the poll really quite click, though I've voted for Monster's Craddle as being perhaps the most evocative.

I kind of like "Parallel Lives", as Jacka mentioned.

I ended up submitting "Rubicon". It has connotations of crossing over, and point of no return, while still being both uncommon and short.

Sign in to follow this