Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

I know that Tim already decided on Broken Age, but I'll leave this here in case that doesn't work out.

The Line Dividing

which I got off this quote

“If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?”

Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

and possibly others as I find them. Even if we are a discarded path that doesn't work, we are still an adventurers, remember that.

actually, in my opinion, some variation of Worlds Apart (or World's Apart) is more inclusive and fitting for the game

I don't see much of a metal connection

metal could conceivably be about identities across universes, but when it's also about finding yourself within that context, short of some spandex-related makeover with hair extensions, or becoming the next big bassist for a kickass band a la Lemmy, can't see it really being as all-encompassing as World's

as timmyj said, it evokes imagery; ultimately up to your imagination, but more illusive, yet clear, than a more limiting Ye Old Gods of Metal approach.

I dunno, if it's decided it's decided.

or there's always master of puppets.

edit: I actually really like Small Offerings, reading the survey just now.

Worlds Apart is evocative, small offerings is cryptic but topical, and sets up the questions of morality posed by the scenario as it has been described.

I guess Worlds Apart is a romp thru space; offerings makes it a humble, yet noble implication

I am going to edit my survey response to reflect this choice

I also realize Broken Age has been selected as the default name but wanted to throw out another option for consideration in case the name doesn't stick.

Growing Pains -- Similar to Broken Age it can have multiple meanings -- e.g. encountering obstacles (pains) while growing into adulthood, the increasing/growth in difficulty of obstacles (pains) over time.

In case there is a sequel, we can add a subtitle -- Growing Pains : Tales of a Forsaken Lumberjack

Or

I actually thought the generic Double Fine Adventure worked great as a name but if it had to be changed, maybe a slight variation would work?

Double Fine's Finely Aged Adventure

I thought of many variations of this name:

Double Fine's Finely Aged Adventure Duo

Finally, A Double Finely Aged Adventure

Double Fine's Adventure Double

Etc, etc

Listen Everyone: It's DONE. The game is called Broken Age!

This post by Tim settles it. I hope we can stop with the suggestions and just concentrate on bitching about what a terrible title "Broken Age" is. ;)

Or we could keep trying to think of more awesome names. I don't see anything in Tim's post to discourage that. Just that Broken Age is the name he's settled on for now.

"The Divide" and "Worlds Apart" are cornier than creamed corn on a corn cob. Letting the majority suggest the name, hell yeah, letting the majority decide the name - nope; hold out at least until the finer details of the story have been fleshed out.

I guess I should have read the previous posts more carefully. Sorry about that.

No need to apologize. It's easy to miss in this huge thread. I just commented on it because I was so sure I'd read the suggestion a lot of times already and was surprised to only find it once.

Above And Beyond

Against The Grain

Anywhere But Here

Arms Akimbo

Birds Of A Feather

Buck The System

Flies In The Ointment

Gumming The Works

Harmonic Divergence/Harmonic Convergence

On The Lam

Pair Of Dice Lost

The Weight Of The World

I dunno, I just don't warm to "Broken Age", it sounds too teen angsty and serious.

I dunno, I just don't warm to "Broken Age", it sounds too teen angsty and serious.

Absolutely right - it sounds po-faced, as I said before, given that it's supposed to be a quirky, artsy comedy game, not a random rpg.

I know I'm late for this, but since it is a game about two people looking to break free and probably for adventure, why not just call it "Quest for Adventure" or simply "Adventure"?

Maybe its is the being aged 14 detail, something representing that? I.e something meaty and latin like 'Quattuordecim'. Which looks pretty cool written down but would be endlessly mis-pronounced by non-latin speaking games reviewers...which is probably a large portion of reviewers outside of 14th century europe.

But still I maintain a cool enigmatic name is a good idea I think, that way it allows this game to live on in its own non-pigeonholey Grim Fandango kinda way.

That's it, Grim Fandango 2: The completely unrelated years??

Absolutely right - it sounds po-faced, as I said before, given that it's supposed to be a quirky, artsy comedy game, not a random rpg.

Agreed! Any of the others would be fine.

Above And Beyond

Against The Grain

Anywhere But Here

Arms Akimbo

Birds Of A Feather

Buck The System

Flies In The Ointment

Gumming The Works

Harmonic Divergence/Harmonic Convergence

On The Lam

Pair Of Dice Lost

The Weight Of The World

these are very, very good.

I mentioned something about harmony earlier too.

since the soundtrack is prone to being epic, as per usual with Peter MC, I think some musical 'cue' or feel in the title would be neat.

also I must concur with the angst-ridden reactions to Broken Age

I like something that is unspecific but also speaks to a 'high concept' theme that appears to run through the short breakdown of the essential plot as we know it thus far.

I think for an adventure game that explores identity and morality, a high concept title is more relevant than something more exciting like Worlds Apart, because smarter writing can be funny and exciting too, just ask our friend Manny Calavera

There's a show called "Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure" What a silly, but perfect name that would have been ;)

oh come now

are you going to take every application of a concept for a title of good work to town based on the fact it was used in obscure media you happen to mislike

if a tale of two cities was made into

well use your imagination, there are ways.

Separate Ways fails the "Journey Song" test.

I agree... that is an important test. But didn't it pass?

...Hang on, what do we have against Journey? *eyebrow*

My submission is The Divide. Hope this helps or creates some inspiration. All in all I want this game to have a fitting title. Good luck Tim!

I also like "The Divide" or something with "divide/division" in it... ("A Great Divide?")... Now I've got the Cardigans song in my head.

(Somebody made a video for it on YouTube:

)

I'm going to go all manic now and include the lyrics, out of love. (And... for freedom.)

"Great Divide"

There's a monster growing in our heads

raised up on the wicked things we've said

a great divide between us now

something we should know

There's something to remember

and something to forget

as long as we remember

there's something to regret

something we should know

There's a mountain higher than we knew

it's high but such a bitter view

a great divide between us now

something we should know

A great divide between us now

on different sides of a great divide

I'll stick to decaf tomorrow.

Anyway, whatever name is chosen, I'm sure I'll end up liking it. I hope it's a clever name, but it's not my main concern.

It's the game that matters most to me.

Some ideas:

- Double twine adventure

- Double twined venture

- Distantly Related

- Jade Away (would require the girl to be named "Jade")

- Split Souls

- Runaway Twain

- Joint Venture

- Disjointed Venture

- Parted Venture (can be read "part-adventure")

I chose "Worlds Apart". I think "The Divide" is okay as well, but I'm still not totally sold on either.

I like to think that when the game finally comes out and I talk to friends about it, the name will at least leave some sort of lasting impression. Grim Fandango and Psychonauts were great titles which summed up the quirky nature of their respective games while sounding unique. Most of these titles are a little too forgettable imo :/

I do like Broken Age, as it seems like that title encapsulates what Tim hinted are the main themes of the game.

Sign in to follow this