Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

that's, like

some estimation of a game with the voice of Kurt Russel, or JP as Russel, by the Autonmous devs

big crackdown in comfort city

big comfort in crackdown town

town of crackdown: crackdown city: living in the comfort of the divide between worlds

cracking apart the divide: tide of broken skulls: stellar jolt: first blood type A

yeah but broken age

what about, like broken chain

or divided, apart, and broken

chains of destiny: final fight: we kickstarted this

haha yeah man!

i really enjoy the longer live cuts of Reba and the Squirming Coil, especially like circa 1993

also I've always appreciated Fleetwood Mac, the lead vocalist is awesome! i'd only heard the hits though, like 'Dreams'

i had to look that up, wasn't sure of the title tbh

I like the western influences, i like the assimilation of laid back jazzy/pop/new wave stuff. they're not my favourite, say, kind of alternative pop outfit ever (that'd be Kate Bush's band featuring Alan Parsons Project members)

but they're neat too!

actually what Kate Bush song might work as inspiration for a Broken Divide-like game name? can't think of one atm.

Broken Age is growing on me (just saw this thread for the first time a half hour ago). It was my favorite of the 4 in the poll.

but I think I like:

Broken Ages better.

It still keeps all the multiple meanings that Tim talked about, but the "s" emphasizes the dual nature of the story and I think it sounds better with two syllables in each word. It also sounds less like an angsty heavy metal album title.

I'd like to suggest "To Choose."

I think it addresses the main theme for both characters, and it has a nice "choose your own adventure..." flair to it.

I propose "Telemachy" or some variant on that term, i.e. "Telemachy of [something something]", "The [something something] Telemachy" etc.

To explain: Telemachy is the name of the first four volumes of Homer's The Odyssey; a coming-of-age story chronicling the hero's journey from boy- to manhood, and how the absence of the young hero affects his loved ones.

In my opinion, the Telemachy echoes a lot of the themes for Reds as Tim describe them. Its also a word which sounds very sci-fi, which is also in-theme with the game. Additionally, "tele" is a Greek prefix meaning "distant". "Machy" means "battle" or "fight" - and adventure (games) are all about the struggle, right? Especially these days :)

i like to choose, but choice, 'a choice' or even 'the choice' might be more fitting

telemachy sounds applicable and cool but might be too obscure a literary reference for gamers, even if it was obliquely explained ingame. though if other less archaic references to Homer or other old mythological/theistic works I'd be down with that

some references to the greats in classic sf might be cool, like Dick or Clarke; it's harder to pin down a philosophical exploration of morality in good epic fantasy, but i'd recommend looking to Stephen R Donaldson's work, specifically the Covenant books, high concepts indeed for high fantasy

telemachy sounds applicable and cool but might be too obscure a literary reference for gamers, even if it was obliquely explained ingame. though if other less archaic references to Homer or other old mythological/theistic works I'd be down with that

I see your point. I really think the name works well even without the reference, though.

I propose "Telemachy" or some variant on that term, i.e. "Telemachy of [something something]", "The [something something] Telemachy" etc.

To explain: Telemachy is the name of the first four volumes of Homer's The Odyssey; a coming-of-age story chronicling the hero's journey from boy- to manhood, and how the absence of the young hero affects his loved ones.

In my opinion, the Telemachy echoes a lot of the themes for Reds as Tim describe them. Its also a word which sounds very sci-fi, which is also in-theme with the game. Additionally, "tele" is a Greek prefix meaning "distant". "Machy" means "battle" or "fight" - and adventure (games) are all about the struggle, right? Especially these days :)

A coming-of-age story which also has a really good name is Catcher in the Rye (at least IMO). The most important symbolism in the entire book is nailed down right in the title. That got me thinking that Broken Age could very well hold more significance than we know. Either way, it's still a solid name.

Broken Age is growing on me (just saw this thread for the first time a half hour ago). It was my favorite of the 4 in the poll.

but I think I like:

Broken Ages better.

It still keeps all the multiple meanings that Tim talked about, but the "s" emphasizes the dual nature of the story and I think it sounds better with two syllables in each word. It also sounds less like an angsty heavy metal album title.

Agreed. I think you're on to something here.

A coming-of-age story which also has a really good name is Catcher in the Rye (at least IMO). The most important symbolism in the entire book is nailed down right in the title. That got me thinking that Broken Age could very well hold more significance than we know. Either way, it's still a solid name.

I agree on all counts. Titles are tricky because they're impossible to separate from the thing they name, i.e. you might think the name Lucy Horrible Gas-a-Tronomatic Kryxxxz is beautiful, because that's, say, your brother's daugther's name (who you love).

In my opinion "Catcher in the Rye" is a far stronger title than "Broken Age", but that might be because I've read (and loved) Catcher in the Rye and only know a little bit about the game Broken Age. Not really knowing the details about DFA yet, the name Broken Age is taken at face value and falls kind of flat for a lot of people. For me its a decent title, but a bit bland.

I agree that a good name should shed light on some central themes or symbolism, or at least give off a vibe that's in line with the game. One way to do that is to borrow the title from an existing work which shares some of those themes, ideally riffing on it a bit to make it unique.

Thanks for all the input, backers!

You guys really seem to like World's Apart. Like really, really. But like I said, I don't know if I can deal with that one since it's been used so many times in so many ways. The second most popular is Broken Age (#1 in the first poll) and that was a suggestion by Lee Petty, and I do like it be cause it stands for many things: the broken society in which they live, and the awkward age of the protagonists, and how they are breaking free of tradition.

Naming something like this after it's already been in production a while is very hard because you have had so much time to get used to it under another name, or no name. And doing it in public is a new and unique experience to be sure! People talk about a "Grim Fandango" moment, but let me tell you, the first person I told that name to said, "I hate it." A lot of people did. But I got it in there early so it had time to grow on people. If I had called that game "The Last Fiesta" for a year, and then switched it to "Grim Fandango" people would have thought I was nuts. So who knows.

There's always that feeling that the perfect name is right out there, just out of reach. And it's impossible to know if that's just an illusion. But the only way I can think of to test it out is to call the game "Broken Age" for a while. After two or three months, one of two things will happen: Either that other, amazing, perfect name will show up and we'll all know it, or it will feel like Broken Age was the name of the game forever, and there never was another possibility.

So I'm going to try that for a while. Who knows? In two months it could totally change. But you all definitely helped me figure some stuff out. And you also reminded me how much I disliked the band "Saga." :)

Thanks, Backers!

Broken Age makes me think of an old RPG. A bit like Dragon Age or something. I hope it grows on me!

but I think I like:

Broken Ages better.

Broken Ages

I think it is much better, indeed, because the word age implies something historical, which is not the case here!

i agree, once the game's out most names will ft the bill, especially if they were tim's first (or preferred) choice

that being said, I'm glad it's still open to some debate and further suggestion-related attempts!

what about a community led poll that reflects both the leading 'official' suggested titles and some of the more popular variations of fan names for the game?

or

we can keep debating the merit of each. does anyone on the team such as Lee or others care to comment on some of the more promising fan title ideas?

Broken Age vs Grim Fandango?

Broken Age vs Psychonauts?

Broken Age vs Full Throttle?

Meh.... You can do better Tim Schafer! You can do better!!!!

mmm

psychonauts and full throttle - evocative from the outset, implied awesomeness. and they were! (awesome that is. and epic!)

grim fandango

who would have known it would have been Tim's best title choice of all time

i agree with the sentiment though, if not (entirely) the way it was expressed; we need something better

worlds apart may be in overuse, and may not be the best choice

the divide says a lot; more importantly, it also implies a lot, and could mean many things

some variations listed above may help in your quest for additional options that might contribute to a better consensus, ReplicanMage Petty and valiant Schafer, Squire to Queen Ronald of Asha'ai. fear not, for the Squink is watching from his swampy shadows.

'bogfiend! we will not tarry to exchange meaningless japery with you! we do not consult YOUR kind for the titlage of our knightly tales!'

'ser Schafer, might we-'

'silence, Page Petty!'

'I am a mage, ser! and your squire'

'ah y-'

'if I may, fair maidens. you must-'

'what terrible and strange appellation is this? we are men, not a bog queen such as you, vile creatur-'

'ah, well said ser Squirelet. Might I suggest

the divide!'

DANARGH

tbc

In a few days, and by a few days I mean tomorrow (or today if you’re in Australia), the game will receive it’s first push Publicly, once they talked about the game as Broken Age the name will be officially set in stone.

Changing the name after introducing it with another creates confusion and subtitles/project codenames/regional versions aside is generally unprecedented for that reason (Yeah Discord/Dropchord probably a C&D copyright issue, but announcement/change happened in the same week).

Anyway, I hope this thread gets un-stickied by then so people don’t keep wasting names (including some good ones) on a game which name has already been decided.

well let's hope the guys on the team maybe rethink before "The Big Push" TM

there are a lot of ways to incorporate some of the better ideas, you could have something incorporating broken chain, the divide between worlds - apart

etc.

Broken Worlds Divided Apart by Any Small Age But Here Cut as Offerings

There, I fixed it!

rise of the meek pups?

at first I thought the meeks were creatures, then I got it literally

divided and apart: alone at any age: offerings to the sun god

but I think I like:

Broken Ages better.

Broken Ages

I think it is much better, indeed, because the word age implies something historical, which is not the case here!

Age doesn't necessarily imply something historical, it implies a period of time that encompasses something within it that differentiates it from other periods of time, or ages. Such as the Ice Age.

So the fact that one of the stories seems to apply to something primitive and from the past and the other applies to something technological and from the future would seemingly lead these two stories to be from different ages. So to use the term "Age" fits just as fine as Ages.

Can't stop thinking "Broken Sword" when I hear "Broken Age", and I never even played the games. I get the significance of the title though. I just expected something a bit more...tentacley, grim or psycho, if you will. Something general with an unusual word to draw us in. That make it sound like a gimmick.

Sign in to follow this