Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

Can't stop thinking "Broken Sword" when I hear "Broken Age", and I never even played the games. I get the significance of the title though. I just expected something a bit more...tentacley, grim or psycho, if you will. Something general with an unusual word to draw us in. That make it sound like a gimmick.

Ok, so should we go with "Grim Psycho-Tentacle" or perhaps "The Secret of Grim Psycho-Tentacle Legend"?

surely some combination along those lines would work

something like Grim's encapsulated awesome would be nice

i don't think BA quite takes the cake as much as GF just yet...

I would propose instead of "Worlds Apart".. it should be "World Apart" without the 'S'.. it makes it sound a bit more unique than 'worlds apart'... obviously thought I voted for Worlds Apart as of now..

Sorry Tim,

I don't want to vote on any of the current name offerings, they don't seem to be there yet.

I do, however, think that the Small Offerings title is on the right track but it leans too heavily to the sacrifice girl's storyline, as far as I can tell you were making the stories parallel and therefore more equal, yes?

The other titles for me are a bit too similar to the title of quantic dreams' new game, Beyond: Two Souls or whatever it's called.

Dig deeper, i'm sure you'll find a Genius moment like you did with Grim Fandango

Sorry Tim,

I don't want to vote on any of the current name offerings, they don't seem to be there yet.

I do, however, think that the Small Offerings title is on the right track but it leans too heavily to the sacrifice girl's storyline, as far as I can tell you were making the stories parallel and therefore more equal, yes?

The other titles for me are a bit too similar to the title of quantic dreams' new game, Beyond: Two Souls or whatever it's called.

Dig deeper, i'm sure you'll find a Genius moment like you did with Grim Fandango

I agree. To be honest as much fun as it is helping choose the name I don't think the community should have the last say.

Sorry Tim,

I agree. To be honest as much fun as it is helping choose the name I don't think the community should have the last say.

yeah, +1.

tim's game, tim's story, tim's say. i will refrain from further implied dissent.

also

It'll all make sense once the game is in our hands, precious.

precious?

come over here, i'll help write the screenplay, put down the gun first though! move towards the light, sad screenwriting friend!

"Defrag" a game where a Boy and Girl do stuff in their separate and fragmented worlds, yet their stories, though decidedly different, echo one another...

DFRAG:

Double

Fine

Reds

Adventure

Game

Whatever the game gets titled, I'll still always probably think of it as "Adventure" or "DFA."

Smiles

"Defrag" a game where a Boy and Girl do stuff in their separate and fragmented worlds, yet their stories, though decidedly different, echo one another...

DFRAG:

Double

Fine

Reds

Adventure

Game

good one!

Although I just realised it could be a derogatory description of the game - it's broken and it takes ages. :(

It'll all make sense once the game is in our hands, precious.

precious?

come over here, i'll help write the screenplay, put down the gun first though! move towards the light, sad screenwriting friend!

LOL I guess my Gollum impression is pretty horrible. ;)

"Only When I Breathe"
"Choking on Breadcrumbs"

Stop breathing in from your mouth while chewing bread.

It should be "Reds".

Its simple and nice sounding. None of those names are REALLY good...

Broken Age isn't too bad, but I can't help thinking of Broken Sword, they're too similar. Same thing goes with Divide, I can only think of spectrum's divIDE.

Did I say I really liked None of the Above?

It should be "Reds".

Its simple and nice sounding. None of those names are REALLY good...

The name 'Reds' has nothing to do with the game or story (probably). It's more suitable as a name for a wine ;)

You know I’ve been thinking… The game has been called Double Fine Adventure for so long now, particularly from non-backers, it has kinda grown on people, would it really be so wrong to call it that over Broken Age or anything else?

I mean we already have a poster and a t-shirt with DFA on it, obviously as far as recognition goes it has the upper hand to both Broken Age and Reds (which was never supposed to be anything more than a codename anyway).

And it kinda makes sense story wise, two characters thus, Double-Fine Adventure; I don’t know, they could play with the words a bit, like Dabble Faine (if the boy was named Dabble and the girl Faine it would make even more sense) Adventure or something, to make it sound more than the company name as a prefix to Adventure.

When a consumer hears Broken Age, they have to look deeper to tie it to an adventure or this project, but when someone hears DFA the mind immediately goes to this project and all the noise it made last year.

Anyway, I haven’t heard anything about this project from PAX East yet, so maybe there’s still time to go with something other than Broken Age, I’m fine either way, I just would like an official final name to refer to this project, and it was schizophrenic enough to shift between DFA and Reds, without adding Broken Age to the mix.

With Tim's explanation of Broken Age, it's starting to have it's appeal. Though maybe it should have something amended on the end? Like 'The Broken Age: Two Worlds'?

Broken Age doesn't do anything for me and just makes me think of Broken Sword. The Divide makes me think of the Longest Journey. I think Small Offerings is at least decent and doesn't remind me of anything else I've kickstarted lately.

With Tim's explanation of Broken Age, it's starting to have it's appeal. Though maybe it should have something amended on the end? Like 'The Broken Age: Two Worlds'?

Sounds like Beyond: Two Souls

Sign in to follow this