Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

Broken Age it is.

Several non-backers have already mentioned that the game better not be a buggy mess with a title like that :)

I liked how 'The Divide' rolled off my tongue, but with the information given, it feels to specific for the girl - so I voted for my second favorite option: Worlds Apart.

Well it looks like the cat is out of the bag!

Broken Age it is, at least I know the name I’m sticking with from now on.

This thread should be unstickied, people are still posting names, and it’s become more than redundant.

Where's the update confirming that the name is Broken Age ? Just read about it on IGN, where there was also a piece of artwork I haven't seen anywhere here on the forums. Not to mention a link to the new official site for the game at brokenagegame.com.

Maybe just an oversight by me, but they could at least have posted the link and a message regarding the final name here on the backer forums... Also a little dissapointed by the name - imo too similar to Broken Sword and just not very original...

Edit: just found Tim's post from March 14th and it makes a little more sense now, with his explanation of the name. Also sounds like he's open to changing it if the perfect name should come along.. Also definitely looking forward to the game regardless of what it's called!

I think this is an important milestone. Congratulations!

Oh, and Broken Age does grow on you. Think if you weren't asked for the name but were just given it, it's not that bad. I also think Worlds Apart fits the game better (at least for what we know), but that was already discussed to death.

Where's the update confirming that the name is Broken Age ? Just read about it on IGN, where there was also a piece of artwork I haven't seen anywhere here on the forums. Not to mention a link to the new official site for the game at brokenagegame.com.

Maybe just an oversight by me, but they could at least have posted the link and a message regarding the final name here on the backer forums... Also a little dissapointed by the name - imo too similar to Broken Sword and just not very original...

Tim announced it in this thread days ago. It got buried by continued suggestions. It probably should have received a new thread or at least an update in the first post.

Yup - obviously my choice of Worlds Apart is based on incomplete information.

I have no problem with Broken Age - or any of them for that matter.

We'll see how they fit the game in time :).

Tim announced it in this thread days ago. It got buried by continued suggestions. It probably should have received a new thread or at least an update in the first post.

Well, I would agree that giving out the link to the backer forum would have been nicer, it's more than just the name. But one can hope the announcement will come soon on the forum and not just on PAX and gaming news sites...

Ok, so a single suggestion buried within the generic names thread, and no formal announcement to us before it gets out to the gaming websites? Awesome.

It'll all make sense once the game is in our hands, precious.

precious?

come over here, i'll help write the screenplay, put down the gun first though! move towards the light, sad screenwriting friend!

LOL I guess my Gollum impression is pretty horrible. ;)

naw i got it smeagle!

come here, i've got rhyyyyy-yyyyyymes

"Only When I Breathe"
"Choking on Breadcrumbs"

Stop breathing in from your mouth while chewing bread.

lol!!

but i like those, really the second one is epitimozes the sublte snarky humor of it

In any case, "Broken Age" somehow doesn't feel right to me. I like the concept behind it, but "Age" sounds too epic and "Broken" too melodramatic. The title also sounds uncomfortably close to "Broken Sword". The problem I see is that the two words sound a bit too...I don't know...concrete? Trying to transform it into something more poetic/ethereal could be awesome, but I can't think of any such version of it right now.

Ok, so a single suggestion buried within the generic names thread, and no formal announcement to us before it gets out to the gaming websites? Awesome.
Tim said in this thread that he picked the title Broken Age, but everyone ignored him and kept posting more suggestions. It just got buried. He probably should have updated the OP with it. Too late now though.

In any case, "Broken Age" somehow doesn't feel right to me. I like the concept behind it, but "Age" sounds too epic and "Broken" too melodramatic. The title also sounds uncomfortably close to "Broken Sword". The problem I see is that the two words sound a bit too...I don't know...concrete? Trying to transform it into something more poetic/ethereal could be awesome, but I can't think of any such version of it right now.

Full Throttle is a pretty "meh" title, but after playing the game it became so much more awesome. Same will be for Broken Age.

Full Throttle is a pretty "meh" title, but after playing the game it became so much more awesome. Same will be for Broken Age.
Yeah that tends to be the way. I already like this title more after seeing it over that image. In time the content defines the name and not the other way around, it seems. Just like how your favorite band's name might seem so endearing to you but sound really silly to someone who's never heard of them or listened to their music.

I don't know if I like it... but right now it's just a name. I'm sure it will grow on me once I see it in context.

It's not Grim Fandango, though.

"None of the Above" would be an okay title if the game were to feature a flying nun.
:lol: love it.

"two"

Implies they are two apart. Also, always loved a simple short name. Broken age feels a bit to descriptive to me, so of course my suggestion is the best and you will surely realize that... HAHA

Also would look rad on art and merchandise.

"None of the Above" would be an okay title if the game were to feature a flying nun.
:lol: love it.

pylUUxr.gif

Having read Tim's reasoning I kinda understand. I would have gone with "Breaking Age" though. Broken sounds like all the fun stuff happened before we arrived. I can see myself saying of some young adult "Ahhhh, they're at breaking age".

I like the name, at least I like how it looks in the font they used, so that's good enough for me.

brokenage_logo_new.png

That said, you put "broken" in the title of an adventure game and the first thing I'm going to think of every time is "Broken Sword."

I'm curious if there's any intentional symbolism going on with the way the O is depicted.

The name still hasn't grown on me (doesn't immediately convey a sense of humour the way Brutal Legend or Stacking did) but the logo is slowly changing my mind. In that font and coloration, it gives a great sense of whimsy (subjective). Maybe it will grow on me after all.

The O makes a great logo in itself. It could become the "symbol" for the game, kinda like that circle h-doohickey that Half-Life has.

It's symmetrical, iconic and rad.

Sign in to follow this