Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

You mean something like The Dead Eye Pyramid in the game?

The name still hasn't grown on me (doesn't immediately convey a sense of humour the way Brutal Legend or Stacking did) but the logo is slowly changing my mind. In that font and coloration, it gives a great sense of whimsy (subjective). Maybe it will grow on me after all.

I hated the name Stacking when I first heard it. I thought it was just about the most boring way to describe that game. It seemed to me like calling a platform game Jumping. But now I don't really have any of those feelings about it at all.

I'm really not that picky as to what it finally gets called. Broken Age sounds fine enough, and really it's the artwork/feel for the cover that really 'sells' a title.

Anyways, not that it needs my endorsement, but you got it, Necrotron Official Seal of Approval©.

Not very impressed with the way the official game name was announced. To me it was like finding out a family member died on the 6 o'clock news. This is a big step and there should of been a project update video sent out, some people don't have time to keep up with the forums.

It seemed to me like calling a platform game Jumping.

There is actually a classic platformer named "Jumpman".

Commodore 64 flashbacks...

Not very impressed with the way the official game name was announced. To me it was like finding out a family member died on the 6 o'clock news. This is a big step and there should of been a project update video sent out, some people don't have time to keep up with the forums.

If there is one thing this is NOT like, it's finding out a family member died on the 6 o'clock news.

Dear sweet lawd.

I'm aware of Jumpman :) I guess back in the 1980 lots of games had odd names. I mean, even Super Mario Bros. is a really weird name if you stop to think about it. It doesn't really describe what the game is about, doesn't particularly roll off the tongue and yet nobody thinks about that unless you draw attention to it. It's funny how names have a way of settling. Like the Wii, I suppose. I never thought I'd get used to that name, but now it seems fine.

The name Super Mario Bros makes sense and does not make sense in the same way that Final Fantasy II does(n't). It's a sequel to Mario Bros, that's all there is to it. :-)

The name Super Mario Bros makes sense and does not make sense in the same way that Final Fantasy II does(n't). It's a sequel to Mario Bros, that's all there is to it. :-)

Well, yeah... which is fine except that it doesn't have all that much to do with the original Mario Bros arcade game in terms of gameplay concepts, and it's not like Super Metroid (which was a Metroid sequel but on the Super Nintendo). In any case, my point was that it's a name that we've grown accustomed to, rather than one that necessarily sounded great from the start.

The other thing is that this is a unique situation where we've known what this game was about (generally) and been absorbing concept art and seeing it develop for many months. Usually we'd be hearing about the game and the name both together, which is much less time to build up expectations.

Small offerings sounds like a great title.

I voted for that one but I really like Broken Age. Lots of interesting implications in that title.

Adventures of Princess and the Astronaut

Austin Cosmos and the Princess of Time

Astral Voyage

Aligned

Ascentis

At Hearts End

Biolapse

Blossom Valley

Blossom Ocean

Blossom Collide

Collateral Union

Collateral Worlds

Dandelion

Space Dandelion

Destiny Clouds

Destiny Travellers

Destiny Ocean

Double Ascension

Double Rifts

Fantastic Voyage

Maulkin & Marene

Mirth of Maulkin & Marene

The Time Odyssey

Tale of Two Worlds

Planes of Ascension

Parallel Fates

Parallel Souls

Paraverse

Parting Tales

Rifts of MIrth

Likelyhood

Up and Down

Universe Mend

Under Stars

Walkers of Time

Eat your heart out, Tim & Co. ;.;

After some thought, this is my small offering:

I was thinking how these characters are taking control of their destiny so I thought a play on that might be more appropriate,

something that sort of means the opposite of the term "Manifest Destiny" or something like that.

So I have:

Destiny Unseen

Unexpected Destiny

Random Destinies

Parallel Destinies

Rebel Destiny

or Destiny Revolt

I'm aware that the name Broken Age has been published but hey, here's my suggestions if it doesn't grow

Cheers,

E

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg.1735882e8e2eb579fc7c756dc35

It'll always be DFA or Adventure! in my heart.

Smiles

Yes, I still like Double Fine Adventure the best.

I'm totally into Broken Age now. It looks great in that Logo, it describes the setting in a few different ways without shoving the wordplay in your face, and it has a nice ring to it. Sure, it's not the most unique sounding name, but then most names aren't.

I also think I agree with Tim in the latest Gametrailers short that names aren't as important as they first might seem. I thought it was funny too when Lee Petty said that Tim wasn't into the name Stacking ;)

I'm already used to Broken Age, I'm starting to think of the game as that now. Can't wait to see more.

As an example of bad survey making, I added an option after we already got many responses. :)

Hey, this isn't science!

It's art!

And stuff!

You should let us rank the 4 options from best to worst. I voted for the divide, but if that doesn't get chosen, I also like Small Offerings and Worlds Apart. (without apostrophe between World and s.) I don't like Broken Age at all.

FWIIW Stacking also is a rather unsexy name.

I also disagree on that names aren't important, naming you games, your music, your children, ... always is something special. Sometimes it takes a lot of time coming up with the right one but once you have it, you'll recognise that it was worth all the effort and if you really found the right one, it fills you with joy everytime you say, hear, write, read it.

Obviously not everyone is this sensible on the same level about this subject, otherwise many things would end up with way better names.

FWIIW Stacking also is a rather unsexy name.

I also disagree on that names aren't important, naming you games, your music, your children, ... always is something special. Sometimes it takes a lot of time coming up with the right one but once you have it, you'll recognise that it was worth all the effort and if you really found the right one, it fills you with joy everytime you say, hear, write, read it.

Obviously not everyone is this sensible on the same level about this subject, otherwise many things would end up with way better names.

Oh I agree that coming up with a great name is very gratifying, but I'm not sure that means it's important.

You can see in the videos that not only backers have trouble with the name.

I still think that if we try to look from a perspective of someone who has not seen the development process, this name is not a problem.

@SurplusGamer

Depends on what kind of person you are and whom you target as your audience.

according to the second survey the name chosen is worlds apart. what happened ?

Too much used name would have been problematic.

Just want to say that while repeatedly watching the trailer an unknown number of times, I was daydreaming about the plot and the ways it might reflect us and our world, and the name really clicked for me.

If you google "Worlds Apart", here are some of the top results:

- A kids bedroom furniture store

- A Kentucky fashion boutique

- A 1990's boy band

- A Christian community resources website

- A Danish film about a Jehova's Witness from the director of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

- A Four-part video series on cross-cultural healthcare

- A sci-fi e-book series "following the long, strange journey of the Pathfinder Ship 'Pegasus' and her quirky crew as they travel across the galaxy rediscovering the lost colonies of humanity"

- A story about "a special pony named Lunarstar, born as a winged unicorn, the first of her kind"

- And finally, "America's first all-volunteer, collectively owned game store"

For marketing purposes alone, it would be tough to establish a web presence with so many other established uses of the name.

However, when you google "Broken Age", basically every result for the first several pages is about DFA.

Sign in to follow this