Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

REDS: The Trials and Tribulations of the Descendants of Lumberjacks

Hipster Lumberjack Reds: Flannels, Redwoods, and Cigarettes

according to the second survey the name chosen is worlds apart. what happened ?

If you google "Worlds Apart", here are some of the top results:

For marketing purposes alone, it would be tough to establish a web presence with so many other established uses of the name.

However, when you google "Broken Age", basically every result for the first several pages is about DFA.

I think this is pretty important, but also a few other things. "Worlds Apart," to me, just seems far too on-the-nose. Yes, these characters are 'worlds apart,' but does that really matter? Does it even say anything significant about the story other than that they are 'apart' and from different 'worlds'?

Wish I as paying more attention so I knew what the other original options were, but I feel like "Broken Age" has a few more things going for it. It speaks to this being a coming of age story. It also speaks to the idea that something is broken, which could allude both to the societies/places these kids live in but also to the ensuing knowledge that breaking from these traditions puts those they care about at risk. I'm not sure I think it's a perfect title, but it definitely has a lot more going for it than "Worlds Apart" -- or "The Divide" for that matter.

Frankly, we don't have much information about how these two characters eventually interact, so far be it from us to decide how to define that relationship. If "The Divide" only references the chasm on Sacrifice Girl's world, it seems to leave out the boy's story from the entire title. We don't know if there is a divide between these characters aside from them starting out in different places. Perhaps there is a divide between what these characters want and where society is putting them, but that seems a bit tenuous and it doesn't say much about what that means for them.

I feel like these two titles are popular because they are memetic: they are familiar to us. We've seen phrases like this before. That lends us to think there's something great there when it might just be a bit of a cliche.

---

Okay, well I'm 14 pages too late. Glad to see that Mr. Schafer had thoughts that were pretty damn similar to my own. I'm sorry, but "Worlds Apart" is just too common while also not really saying that much about this game specifically. The fact that the characters start in different places just doesn't sound like it's a very important factor of the plot - just a factor. You need to speak to that coming of age, wrongness of society, the break from tradition, and perhaps the consequences that follow.

Not very impressed with the way the official game name was announced. To me it was like finding out a family member died on the 6 o'clock news. This is a big step and there should of been a project update video sent out, some people don't have time to keep up with the forums.

I felt the same way (not the dead family member, but something like that). I found out about both the name and the teaser from some random news site. Backers should have been informed about these events thru an email or an update.

Coming into this late I'm seeing a lot of other name suggestions that I think would've fit the game much better. I kind of associate age to mean one thing, one time, where as the game is set in parallel dimensions.. many times. But I suppose if you're coming at it from the aspect of the characters age(s).. meh.

I don't believe it!!! Time (and Tim) has clearly shown that BROKEN AGE is actually a better title than WORLD'S APART after all. Strange, but I just like it now. Huh!

Frustratingly The Cut is easily the best one, but it's also too close to The Cave to not remind me instantly of it.

Okay, now my favorite name is "Frustratingly The Cut."

BAHAHAHAHA!

I'm glad I decided to do a li'l trolling before looking for another docu vid to watch....

Sad to know that I've missed out on all the fun in naming Reds by a month ):

True I've also been negligent of these forums.

Can we name the steam Achievements? :P

Damn you messed up personal life, keeping me away from the forums!!

Time to immerse myself in to the awesome world of DFA, and start contributing, albeit a wee bit late in the game.

The name chosen doesn't really jump at me and I am not sure if it because I have missed so much of the production, or if it's just the title. That said I will wait until I've finished playing the completed item until deciding whether or not it was the right choice.

Until then I have complete faith in the production crew.

I think the game should have been named "Adventure on the High Seas, but without the Seas".

Sure, it's not succinct, but it does a wonderful job of evoking that sense of adventure I'd hope for this game.

Not very impressed with the way the official game name was announced. To me it was like finding out a family member died on the 6 o'clock news. This is a big step and there should of been a project update video sent out, some people don't have time to keep up with the forums.

I felt the same way (not the dead family member, but something like that). I found out about both the name and the teaser from some random news site. Backers should have been informed about these events thru an email or an update.

The teaser trailer went up here hours before it was revealed to the world.

This is what happens when you get too busy making a game happen is that you do not get to help name a game you were excited about.

Oh well.

Everyone buy Disney Infinity.

This is an old topic, but I just watched Tim's XOXO Festival speech, and the DoubleFine GDC panel, and hearing the term 'Broken Age' again and again was interesting---I really feel like it's such a great and fitting name. The game has really settled into the name very nicely.

Smiles

Sign in to follow this