Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

Since "Maiden's Feast" is below "None of the above", does that mean a vote for "None of the above" is actually a vote for "Maiden's Feast"? ;)

Another World

That's my submission.

I like it, but that might cause confusion with Virgin's early 90s game.

Hmm, not huge fan of any of them. And most feel one-sided to the girls story. I ultimately picked "The Cut" as I thought it was best out of what was there, but even that I'm not huge on. I liked the one suggestion I saw on here, "Worlds Apart," quite a bit though. Thought it invoked the game nicely.

Sorry, but I didn't really like any of the titles... they all seemed too corny for a game that apparently has a serious side to it. On top of that, most of the titles seems to refer to the girl's side of the story only, so I submitted my own: "Far Above, Near Below". Erm, well at least I tried... :P

Based on that short summary I suggested "Over the Edge"

I like that aspect of them feeling the need to do something, which turns out to have unintended consequences for people they care about, yet they (probably) can't turn back, because life's like that.

The Divide has a nice ring to it.

Maybe something like Beyond could work, too. I like that word, since it can refer to a lot very easily. Beyond the ravine, beyond the characters' set roles, beyond the limits, it even evokes the mysterious worlds the characters travel through (especially space. That place is way beyond). It can be used in many variations for a good simple title (and I think the game sort of begs a general, simple and mysterious title).

Beyond

What Lies Beyond

From Beyond

Beyoncé

Beyond the Divide

Selected: Small Offerings.

Submitted: The Age of Broken Offerings, At the expense of balance, The Weight of Gifts

I don't think I can fully articulate why I think the above works but here we go!

So based off of the blurb in the survey I sort of felt that the children's situations are on opposite extremes of sort of a parenting scale (as far as the gift to cost ratio). The boy is essentially prescribed everything but adventure and the girl has to give up everything in order to protect things and they both opt to change the situation to get a more balanced life.

"The Age of Broken Offerings" is sort of playing off the notion that the offerings given aren't the offerings wanted.

"At the expense of balance" - I thought I had a reason... I can't really think of one. But it probably has to do with what do the children deal with given that their lives are so unbalanced.

"The Weight of Gifts" is sort poking at the idea that the children reject, accept, give gifts and learn what the cost and repercussions are of those gifts.

Anyway. Good luck picking a name! Looking forward to seeing the choice.

I kind of like "None of the Above" although I assumed that's not meant to be an actual title suggestion. I wrote in "None From Above". It seems to evoke the idea of "questioning the lives prescribed for them by their parents and societies" as Tim Schafer describes it, and also both the cloud colony and spaceship settings of each of the protagonists.

Plus I don't want us to decide this. It would be awesome if Tim could get a revelation about one specific name like he said he did with Grim Fandango ;D I want you all to be confident about that one name when it first appears, doesn't feel nice having to hesitate about it too much.

The Cut is okay, but I agree that none of the options actually hit the themes that I'm feeling from what I've seen so far of the game, and from that description. I feel like something like "Another Place" or "Any Other Place" or "Anywhere Else" (the last of which is what I wrote in) would sort of simultaneously convey the idea of having two stories in separate locations, and also each child's aspiration to escape their current location.

I definitely agree with Anywhere Else, that gets my vote.

Yeah, that's a pretty good one. :)

I like Young Monsters. I get the feeling it's referring more to the two main characters and the monstrous things they may inadvertently do in their attempts to free themselves.

What about

"Generic Non Gender Specific Teenage Gwyneth Paltrow Inspired Point And Click Adventure Game With Two Playable Characters" ?

GNGSTGPIPACAGWTPC also shortens to a charming acronym.

Of the Poll ones I liked The Cut.

I suggested, playing around with the ones presented:

- A Cut Above

- Age of Offerings

- Broken Young

- Monsterdom

Voted for "Small Offerings", but my suggestion was "Cleave", as it can mean both "to adhere closely to" or "to divide as if by cutting". The characters seem to be cleaving themselves from their societies by cleaving to their aspirations. Duality!

I went with 'The Cut' as my option as none of the others really jumped out at me, or they seemed to be about either the boy or the girl instead of both. But I also suggested 'Worlds Separated', as that seemed to go along with the same theme.

Wow, I'm torn between all three popular suggestions: The Divide, Anywhere Else, and Worlds Apart. I like all three of those better than the ones presented on the survey and can't choose just one to put on the fill in the blank!

Really liked "Assbutt's" Running With Schisms and my contribution was Bifurcation (though it's probably a bit... off track).

The Divide would probably work too though.

I think Progeny has the right ring to it, and its pretty simplistic. You've got a lot of symbolism to work into it, and I think that word speaks to some of the depth of the concept in a more deep introspective. *NEEERRRRRRDDDDD*

So ya my vote it is "Progeny".

You want something to speak to the depth of the subject not something to cartoon it up right? Without being too preachy... I think it does it.

Broken Offerings; Dual Fates; The Chasm; Fate's Divide; Dual of the Fates; Destinies; Set in Stone; Call of Duty;

Sign in to follow this