Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

I tried with "Age of Fate"

I kinda like it. Got me thinking anyways. They're both at an age when they're challenging the world and challenging traditions and decisions made for them.

Maybe not age of fate, but possibly Age of Defiance? Dunno.

Something along the vein of what's going on with the story of challenging tradition.

I also agree with the folks saying that Double Fine Adventure should be in the title somewhere... Actually, I reckon Double Fine Adventure: Ravines, Monsters and Space. Brb changing my vote to that.

Nice! With or without the Double Fine Adventure part, it's quite a fetching title.

I suggested 'The Other Side' as it gets at two of the themes Tim mentioned, the dual protagonist story and the grass is greener idea of having the loved ones in trouble once the girl or boy breaks out of their mould. None of the options seemed great to me, I thought a reference to a name in the story would be more appropriate, but obviously we dont know any of those yet.

My suggestion for a name was "Growing Apart", but then I checked the forums and someone else also suggested that. So, that's gotta be the name, right? Two people, suggesting a name, from separated by space and time...

I thought the concept of the characters growing in maturity, but separated by a great divide, so the literal translation there. But additionally they're growing apart from those they love - or are they?

I also liked "The Awakening". It's kind of a coming of age story, about taking responsibility for your actions after being told what to do for so long.

You haven't picked a bad name yet Tim, I'm sure you're not going to start now =0).

Bifurcate Reality

Rejecting Reality

Rejecting Fate

Defying Fate

Intrepid Apostates

Adventurous Apostates

Apostate's Quest

Social Misfits

Misfit's Quest

Destiny's Misfits

The Unseen World

Two Halves

Destiny Carvers

Career Day

Back to Back

I really really really like Career Day.

Career Day

I really really really like Career Day.

So do I!

One more. Two Dimensional Adventure. "2D Adventure" for short.

I actually think "Double Fine Adventure" is still the best name for this. Why not that? You could tell people you've been planning this since the very beginning. Good story.

I have an idea: why not just call it "Adventure"?

It was the name of the game even before reds. People who where hearing about the game heard it be called "Adventure" everywhere. Its been an adventure for us to all get to see how the game would turn out. Most of all though, it defines what both the characters are going though: an Adventure. If a game about a journey was able to be called "Journey", why can't this game, at its core, about adventure be called "Adventure" (or possible "The Adventure")? After all, its ultimately the reason why both these characters want to escape: Adventure. They don't want their adventure of life to end, because they want to experience the adventure of life. It's also what the players who play this game want to experience: an Adventure. Not only is the genre what defines this game; its part of the reason why all of us really wanted to help fund this game and make it a reality.

Not to mention that we wouldn't have to stop calling it DFA =D

Edit: Of course brawsome had to post the idea while I was busy explaining why it would be such a good idea... Ah well It's good at least to know that I'm not alone in wanting to name it "Adventure"...

I really like Worlds Apart...

But thats also because i just think it would go really well with the proposed title screen of the boy and girl sitting against eachother, and when you click on one of them you go to their world.. Worlds Apart above that screen would fit really nice i think

I propose "The Divide". It immediately popped into my head after reading your description.

I like Young Monsters best; you can interpret that name in a fun/whimsical way, but also in a more creepy way. Then again, that name only works if the game makes it clear that the boy & girl can be a bit of a monster sometimes.. and I haven't really seen that aspect so far, based on the updates.

Don't know about Maidens Feast or Monster's Cradle; they sound like great names for metal bands though :) (Possibly because I was thinking of Iron Maiden and Cradle of Filth..)

As for what's been suggested in the forums, I really like Worlds Apart and Twisted Fate.

My own suggestion is the plural, Twisted Fates. I also initially thought of Twisted Fate .. then googled it .. turns out it's a band name. (.. and apparently some League of Legends character too) So, I just took the plural and then figured that it makes even more sense now. I think it works in a couple different ways: It's about a boy and a girl changing their own separate futures/twisting their fates. I'm also guessing that at some point, the boy & girl will meet somehow, so their fates are twisted into one. Finally, while changing their fates, they also discover their twisted side/discover their inner monster.

Time Divergence

Divergent Time

Beneath the Clouds

Duality

The amount of suggestions are going to keep coming by the looks of it.

Tim are you going it be busy tomorrow? you have lot's of reading to do....

I propose "The Divide". It immediately popped into my head after reading your description.

Ha, I already posted that on the first page. It's had a remarkable following though. I agree with you, good title! ;P

I quite like Young Monsters: apart from the Thin White Duke era bowie vibe, it seems to fit the rebellious children theme.

Of what I've seen suggested in the forums, Anywhere Else resonates, although it could be a tad generic.

Ha, I already posted that on the first page. It's had a remarkable following though. I agree with you, good title! ;P

I saw that after posting :) It occurred to me that the title was so great, that someone else had probably already posted it! THAT is how good the title is!

What are the name of the characters? Maybe it could be:

Her Name & His Name: A Double Fine Adventure

Not to rain on anyone's parade here, and I'm not saying it's awful...

But am I the only one who finds "The Divide" extremely generic and obvious? I dunno, it's just when I think of the classic adventure titles like Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango... The Divide just seems a lot more forgettable. And it makes the game sound like it's super duper serious.

Just my two cents though. A rose by any other name and all that.

I agree, "The Divide" doesn't sound like a Tim Schafer game

But am I the only one who finds "The Divide" extremely generic and obvious? I dunno, it's just when I think of the classic adventure titles like Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango... The Divide just seems a lot more forgettable. And it makes the game sound like it's super duper serious.

My feeling is that the game will be so epic that it won't need to rely on a glossy title. Sometimes (in concept) simplicity is best.

it's comparable to "Stacking" and "Iron Brigade", imo. they're perfectly serviceable names that get the idea of the game across, but they don't quite have the striking originality of a "Grim Fandango" or "Psychonauts".

I think the best kinds of titles are the ones where you don't understand what they mean until you're halfway through the game (Grim Fandango, for instance). With that in mind, I feel like I don't know enough about Reds to be able to choose a title.

Of the choices, though, "The Cut" is probably the best, although I'm basing that solely on the sound of it; I have no idea what it means (which could be a good thing).

I like the Divide, but I also like the one I submitted: Running With Schisms.

This one made me chuckle, but I'm not sure that it suits the tone of the game. That said, I really like The Divide as well. From the list, though, it'd have to be Small Offerings.

I put in a couple

Maiden/Voyage--I liked the choice with maiden in it, but this (somehow broken up, probably not with a slash, by color would be way cooler) references both individual stories while the whole phrase is kind of about their first time 'outside port' so to speak.

Spirit of Abandon--or Reckless Abandon or Principles of Abandon or something. Kind of speaks for itself.

I like that we're helping with the grunt work behind the brainstorming, I just hope that Tim can combine this with the details of the story and have that spark like he has for the other games

I submitted "Maiden Voyage(s)" as well. Didn't think I needed the break, because the whole thing is relevant to both (i.e. the voyage of the maiden and the ship's maiden voyage with the boy as the pilot).

I tried to think up something based more on how the two stories are side-by-side. I tried to work out something based on the words "match", "parallel", and "synchronicity", but nothing punchy enough has come to mind.

Not quite a name, but if something of the "two phrases based on each that form one phrase relevant to both" is used, having "||" (shorthand for "parallel") between the two might be cool.

But am I the only one who finds "The Divide" extremely generic and obvious?

It's true. A lot of the titles mentioned in this thread kind of sound like small-scale Eastern European RPGs that I'll never play.

Sign in to follow this