Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jahaja

xbox 360 controller on Mac App Store version of The Cave

Since xbox 360 controller (pc-wired) works on the steam version of Cave I presupposed it would work on the Mac App Store version as well, but it doesn't.

So my question for the Double Fine team is, when will it work?

Have you forum people got a workaround for it perhaps until its updated?

Cheers! Jahaja

The Xbox 360 controller wasn't supported properly in the beginning on the Mac (steam version) but after some updates it did work. I have no idea if there exist any differences to the version released on the App Store but just in case you haven't, you need to install a Xbox 360 driver like from http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver and run it.

Thanks for the reply taumel!

Yes I have installed the driver, but no difference unfortunately.

For example Rochard even works without the driver you pointed at. So it can be done and work flawlessly.

I´m thinking... I bought a graphics prg called Sketch from Mac App Store. I´m able to download betas from their site and owerwrite the mac app store one, and it works fine cause it legit-checks it from Mac App Store. Wonder if one could do the same since the Steam version is ahead?

And, are Double Fine planning to release an update with controller support for the Mac App Store version?

Are the developers scanning these forums I wonder?

In Linux, you have to do some manual configuration of the file SDLGamepad.config and looking at their sample version, you may need to do this with Mac as well. The sample version DF provides had the identifier for the wireless version of the xbox 360, not the wired (I'm only assuming this because their id didn't work for me and I have a wired xbox360 controller). By using the Big Picture mode on Steam, I got the id for my wired version (or at least it works for me).

Try adding the following two lines to your SDLGamepad.config (under Library / Application Support / Doublefine / TheCave) and see if the controller works for you then:

030000005e0400008e02000010010000,Microsoft Xbox 360 Gamepad (xpad) (Mac),a:b0,b:b1,y:b3,x:b2,start:b7,guide:b8,back:b6,leftstick:b9,rightstick:b10,leftshoulder:b4,rightshoulder:b5,dpup:h0.1,dpleft:h0.8,dpdown:h0.4,dpright:h0.2,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightx:a3,righty:a4,lefttrigger:a2,righttrigger:a5,

@Jahaja

Yep i know it's kind of a pain because you have to get things running more on a project basis. Rochard might be a more standard experience because it's powered by Unity. You might want to search the forum a bit, controller support was quite an issue for some time, so there are a number of posts regarding this subject.

@buckysrevenge -No Doublefine map in Application Support/ and cant find any "SDLGamepad.config"

@taumel did search the forums before i posted, but no luck. Thought I would raise some awareness to the developers with my question as well..

Did you try ~/Library/Application Support/DoubleFine/The Cave/SDLGamepad.config ?

@buckysrevenge -No Doublefine map in Application Support/ and cant find any "SDLGamepad.config"

Well, wherever the file is located (DF would know for sure; I don't have a Mac, I just found the info in another post), try the lines I put in the other post.

Well, wherever the file is located (DF would know for sure; I don't have a Mac, I just found the info in another post), try the lines I put in the other post.

Sorry, Cant even find "SDLGamepad.config"

Sorry for being a such a noob

still dont work

Found it and added what you suggested at the end of the file, like:

# This file lists gamepad configuration mappings

# These are the format that are used by the SDL_GameController API in SDL2

# See the Data/Config/SDLGamepad.config in the game folder for sample configurations

# At the moment you'll have to build this manually using the SDL2 testjoystick program to get the GUID

# or extract it from the config.vdf file in Steam after you configure the controller in Big Picture Mode

030000005e0400008e02000010010000,Microsoft Xbox 360 Gamepad (xpad)

(Mac),a:b0,b:b1,y:b3,x:b2,start:b7,guide:b8,back:b6,leftstick:b9,rightstick:b10,leftshoulder:b4,rightshoulder:b5,dpup:h0.1,dpleft:h0.8,dpdown:h0.4,dpright:h0.2,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightx:a3,righty:a4,lefttrigger:a2,righttrigger:a5,

Well I have the mac app store version and I haven't been able to get it to work with ANY controller. Pretty disappointed in that.

Did you try what I suggested above? The SDLJoyTest application should get you ID for your controller(s), then you need to assign the buttons (which will depend on what buttons your controller has).

Did you try what I suggested above? The SDLJoyTest application should get you ID for your controller(s), then you need to assign the buttons (which will depend on what buttons your controller has).

I´ll try that as sone as find som time. Two kids here 3 and 6 yr, which needs a ridiculous amount of attention :)

brb with results, thanks

I´ll try that as sone as find som time. Two kids here 3 and 6 yr, which needs a ridiculous amount of attention :)

brb with results, thanks

I have a 3, 9, and 11 year old boys myself, I know what you're dealing with.

O,boy

Terminal and me, not best buddies...

Cant seem to find any joystick, or perhaps im not executing it right? I get the testjoystick thats included in the package allright but that one is located in the folder where I unpacked the application... in what folder would i expect to find my joystick? Do you know what I mean?

Here is what I get:

-bash: testjoystick: command not found

you have to use the ./testjoystick

from the folder you are where it lives.

anyway I tried the sdljoytest, and it shows that the ps3 controller is connected, but wouldn't do anything for the test.

I then tried to get that to show anything. I finally managed to make the sdljoytest show me moving the controller after pairing the controller to my mac in bluetooth, which I don't have to do in steam.

However, even after this works, the Cave app store app still doesn't see a controller.

Assuming Steam for Mac uses SDL like it does for Linux, another thing you could try is to download and install Steam (it's free), click on Big Picture, go to settings (the cog in the upper right hand corner) and then controller. If it detects your controller, click on the configure button (or whatever they call it) and go through the steps. Once it's done, there should be some settings in a file called config.vdf (in Linux it's located under /config, don't know where it'll be for Mac) that have the ID, plus all the mapped controls.

If that doesn't work, I'm not much more help considering I know nothing of the innards of MacOS X. Good Luck!

The steam config was the first thing I tried. It has the exact same config settings as the mac already does.

Sign in to follow this