Zacal

What video size should I do?

Which one do you like better.  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like better.

• Test video one, 720p is ok with me.
    • Video two, got have it in 1080p
    • Do another size.
    • Just start making videos already, I want more now.

I'm all done recording the main missions for the pc version of brutal legend but before I compress the file sizes, I wanted to which of these test videos you guys like. Than I'll start compress the rest so that I can delete the original ones to make more room on my hard drive for more videos.

Test video one(720p)

gGvIjGgp2-0

Test video two(1080P)

G4p6nOSV7Ts

Please let me know which one you guys like or if i should do it in another size. Thank you.

something is wrong with the resolution i think. the menu looks weird in 1080p, almost as if its been upscaled horribly.

as for the videos, you're loosing a lot of bitrate and adding major artifacting because of the recording and recompression.

this is whats happening (assuming you're not capturing raw, uncompressed video), and at each transition, there is a loss of quality due to transcoding.

rendering of the cutscene at double fine

|

v

compressing videos to .bik files for the game

|

v

your recording of ingame footage

|

v

your compression of ingame footage (it would be nice if you could specify your encoder and bitrate settings)

|

v

youtube's own transcoding process

the result is something that is vastly inferior to the cutscenes themselves (which are already visibly compressed for the console versions)

here is what i would do

grab the .bik files, and use a tool like rad tools or something else to be able to view the cutscenes themselves. then replace your recorded versions with the actual .bik rendering in a video editing program.

this would give you much better quality, but of course, it would mean more manual labor on your part. also, the file names aren't very helpful of the biks last time i checked, you you might even have to view them all to see which is which.

as for which is better, id go with 720, because im almost positive the originals aren't even encoded in 1080, possibly 720 though.

something is wrong with the resolution i think. the menu looks weird in 1080p, almost as if its been upscaled horribly.

as for the videos, you're loosing a lot of bitrate and adding major artifacting because of the recording and recompression.

this is whats happening (assuming you're not capturing raw, uncompressed video), and at each transition, there is a loss of quality due to transcoding.

rendering of the cutscene at double fine

|

v

compressing videos to .bik files for the game

|

v

your recording of ingame footage

|

v

your compression of ingame footage (it would be nice if you could specify your encoder and bitrate settings)

|

v

youtube's own transcoding process

the result is something that is vastly inferior to the cutscenes themselves (which are already visibly compressed for the console versions)

here is what i would do

grab the .bik files, and use a tool like rad tools or something else to be able to view the cutscenes themselves. then replace your recorded versions with the actual .bik rendering in a video editing program.

this would give you much better quality, but of course, it would mean more manual labor on your part. also, the file names aren't very helpful of the biks last time i checked, you you might even have to view them all to see which is which.

as for which is better, id go with 720, because im almost positive the originals aren't even encoded in 1080, possibly 720 though.

The settings I use for the game visual is FXAA, fov and draw distance are at max and everything is selected. I also seleted the HiFi setting in the game menu.

|

v

Used Fraps to record the videos with capture setting at 30fps and full size selected. Sound settings are win 7 sound and stereo selected.

A five min. recoding in fraps is about 4gb in size.

|

v

then i took it into Pinnacle Studio HD to compress it.

the file said that it was 720x 576, 25 fps and 4:3, interlaced when i brought it in.

I made the videos as mpeg-2 and set the preset to hd 720p for the first one and hd 1080p for the second one. For the hd 720 said that it was 15000 kbits/sec and 30000 kbits/sec for the hd 1080.

thanks for you feed back and i hope that answered what you wanted to know.

The opening cutscene (as well as the "Mr. Crowley" cutscene with Ophelia) is pre-rendered and visibly compressed, not done in real time, so your visual settings won't have much of an effect. You'll notice a difference once the gameplay starts, and most of the cutscenes after that are in real-time and look great in 1080.

The opening cutscene (as well as the "Mr. Crowley" cutscene with Ophelia) is pre-rendered and visibly compressed, not done in real time, so your visual settings won't have much of an effect. You'll notice a difference once the gameplay starts, and most of the cutscenes after that are in real-time and look great in 1080.

Ok here are some game play footage, the first is 720 and the second is in 1080.

ljABMImtVb8

ZTgTf4x032c

Thank you everyone for the feed back. I going to start compressing my recording to 720p today and maybe have a new video up next week.

then i took it into Pinnacle Studio HD to compress it.

the file said that it was 720x 576, 25 fps and 4:3, interlaced when i brought it in.

Wait, why would it be any of those things? The file you get from Fraps should be 1080p, 30 fps, 16:9 and progressive, no? What you described is the PAL TV standard.

I made the videos as mpeg-2 and set the preset to hd 720p for the first one and hd 1080p for the second one. For the hd 720 said that it was 15000 kbits/sec and 30000 kbits/sec for the hd 1080.

Do you need to compress them again after Fraps? What's the max filesize Youtube accepts? They will compress it once more anyway. If you absolutely have to compress, use mpeg-4 avc instead, mpeg-2 is an old ass standard.

In any case, upscaling a video won't ever actually help, it will just result in bigger files.

Edit: That last clip you posted actually looks like it was interlaced at some point.

Do you need to compress them again after Fraps? What's the max filesize Youtube accepts? They will compress it once more anyway. If you absolutely have to compress, use mpeg-4 avc instead, mpeg-2 is an old ass standard.

In any case, upscaling a video won't ever actually help, it will just result in bigger files.

Edit: That last clip you posted actually looks like it was interlaced at some point.

I had to look it up on there site. It looks like when recording with fraps, it doesn't compress the file that much if at all. Its said its because the videos are live and it doesn't have time to encode the files while running it. The videos are split into roughly five min. segments on my computer and are about 3 to 4 gbs in size. Also it looks like fraps can record up to 7680x4800 in size which I think I set them to to begin with. It looks like fraps does not interlaced them ether, so they must have been interlaced when I put it though pinnacle.

Also, It looks like youtube dose compress files so it probably just better to compress it in another program to begin with.

So I think well compress them to 720p but ill use mpeg-4 instead of mpeg-2.

I just posted a new video on the dfaffans channel or you can check it out here. Enjoy and let me know what other type of videos i should or better yet if you want to post something let me know and I'll pm you the signin info.