Sign in to follow this  
ziddersroofurry

The importance of proper labeling

Let me get this out of the way-I love Brutal Legend, love Double Fine. I know this has been brought up before but I feel the need to state it again-Double Fine, you guys really need to work on being a bit clearer about labeling stuff.

What you're selling with the game is not a 'soundtrack'. Technically, it's the games score. By labeling it a 'soundtrack' you're confusing everyone by making them think they're getting all the licensed tracks. Customers shouldn't have to go looking things up on your forums, it should be right there in the Steam store, clearly labeled. Otherwise, someone could very well get the impression that you're trying to fool people into thinking they're getting all the licensed music, too..which isn't the case.

I know it's called the 'original soundtrack' but that really doesn't tell people anything. Maybe relabel it 'Original score by Peter McConnell' because I know a lot of my friends read about the soundtrack and then read this:

'Music

The music in Brütal Legend is truly massive. Made up of 108 of the most rocking tracks from 75 different bands representing every sub-genre of metal, it is something to experience in and of itself.'

and thought that that meant they were getting all the licensed music, too. It should go without saying that they were a little miffed. Anyways, i'm just saying this because I love you folks and the game and hate seeing people get upset at ya for something like this, especially when it's so easily remedied.

So someone actually thought they would get 10 albums worth of metal for $4? Okay maybe DF should rename it, but come on. Truly we live in an age that celebrates ignorance.

"Original Soundtrack" is a really, really common term and even for people unfamiliar with it, it seems pretty self explanatory if you give it a moments thought. And hey, if it did catch you off guard it's not the most expensive way to learn this lesson.

"Original Soundtrack" is a really, really common term and even for people unfamiliar with it, it seems pretty self explanatory if you give it a moments thought. And hey, if it did catch you off guard it's not the most expensive way to learn this lesson.

While I don't disagree with you, this sounds like one of those stupid mistakes that could happen very easily and just as easily be prevented. Minimizing the possibility of silly misunderstandings is an important thing for any part of any company.

I agree, it would be better from a PR standpoint if it had been labeled as a score.