• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Cecil

Don't do BL2 - build on this game instead, give us singleplayer DLC

Not that I wouldn't like a Brütal Legend 2, but since the idea of that actually happening, and us having to wait at least three years if it's ever decided to it, I would rather see Double Fine building on this game.

I love the game, but the amazing game world does feel a bit empty outside the main missions, and there is very very little variety in the sidequests. If Double Fine does gain enough money from the digital sales of their games, and not all of them have to go to reds, I would like to see DLC being done for the singleplayer game, with sidequest packs and other stuff, that takes advantage of this gameworld that they have built.

While I do understand that it might be tricky to decide how much you have to do for DLC package to be worth the effort, I feels a bit more doable then a complete sequel. The only cast member that would be required to return for it would be Jack Black, and maybe it would be an opportunity for other artists to join for some simple quests.

I know that I would buy such DLC packages without having to think twice about it.

It's true that the land is a bit empty, but I would prefer if they fixed that in SEQUEL DLC's ;) By downloading the next part of the story, you would also download some side missions that'd correspond with the update in storyline.

There's definitely room for improvement when speaking of the existing continent. But I really do want to see the sequel, even if it was chopped up in pieces that you'd have to download in segments. That might be doable.

The problem is console plebs probably don't care about the game anymore since it's, you know, more than a few months old. I don't really see them rushing in to buy a DLC for a 2009 game and PC sales alone wouldn't be enough.

Right, I agree with the above poster, this is a poor idea. The console release is too old and the pc release alone wouldn't be enough to justifiy such a thing. Brutal Legend 2 is what we need if were ever gonna see more of the BL world. Besides, Elder Scrolls games aside is there really ever any story DLC that's more than a small handfull of hours worth of gameplay? Not really.

I think it's pretty clear this is what Double Fine intends to do, provided the PC Brutal Legend generates enough business. They hinted they might release new playable factions for the PC version (Only, since it would cost too much on the Xbox and Playstation.) They have said they want to make the PC version the definative version of Brutal Legend.... whether that means "Least Buggy" or "Most Content" is really up to PC gamers.

Microsoft and Sony are going to have to learn some hard lessons, assuming they haven't learned them already. (Although after everything that happened with the Betamax, thier continued hardheadedness to pursue "Sound Business Accumen" leaves me wondering if Sony will EVER get it.) I honestly thought patches on consoles would kill console gaming (And I loved console gaming until they started releasing bugged games.) I was wrong, despite the damage it's done to the genre, Console gaming has done very well due to it's accessability. However, thier insistance on charging companies to release patches (Fix bugs) and offer free content is going to put a serious hamper on them. Combined with the mystifying popularity of "Tablet PC's" and the wide variety of very friendly and free games available to PC/Mac/Linux users... AND the rising cost of console systems..... The death knell could be around the corner... (Although in this day and age of necromantic business practices, nothing truely dies... it just comes back half as strong, and twice as stupid.)

And while all that was going on with Console games, PC gaming was seemingly dying. All the great hits were getting bought up by megacorps, then slowly watered down until they weren't any good... then locked in a vault of IP that has "Too much value to sell" but is "Too expensive to make a new sequel for"... which is completely insane, by way of sheer greed. However, new doors were opening, and companies that survived the purge were able to grow in fantastic new ways. PC gaming is recovering and going to be healthier than ever, I believe. I will miss alot of classics that I don't think will ever get remade properly... but there are always new games out there, and some of the classics have made it to this age of gaming.

The other reason this idea of DLC sequels is nice... it would probably give Double Fine more flexibility in continuing to produce the variety of games people have come to enjoy from thier company... as opposed to the commitment a new full-sized sequel game (And new engine, new graphics) would require.

About the console versions: I'm not even considering them here, just the PC version.

This hasn't been done before, but it might suit a more flexible company like Double Fine. And considering that that the PC sales of their old actually are generating money, as said by DF themselves, I don't see this as that unrealistic.