Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Apple Pop

Fan theories and head canons anyone? (maybe spoilers...)

BECAUSE THERE'S TOO MANY TECH RELATED THREADS AND NOT ENOUGH FANDOM ONES. Also you should totally make the text of any spoilers white for the courtesy of others who haven't played through the game.

So I'll type some of mine up when I don't have so much to do (hnngh I have some reading I need to go finish anyways), but I'm curious if people have head canons or fan theories about events in the cave or the characters? Even though their plots were laid out for us, I felt like there could be interesting interpretations left up to fans and wanted to know if others on this site had any?

I guess one of mine is that I couldn't get it out of my head that the cave itself is some form of purgatory or limbo where people are given the opportunities to make up for past sins by reliving those events then deciding if it was worth it or not. Hell itself would be like being trapped in one place with the earthly possession they wanted so much as a form of taunting to them. Maybe they are even conscious/have their soul still there fully aware of the passing time which is what makes it so awful for them or they simply have their item and their soul is kind of thrown into the black void of the unknown (remember seeing them dead with their items after doing another run through where your character got the bad ending?). Heaven would be letting go of such things and literally ascending above the cave to a more open, and serene world where they are not only "alive" and conscious but are still free to do as they please and have left behind things that tie them to the past. That idea also kind of makes me think of the movie Jacob's Ladder where the whole theme is that to make peace with yourself or move on, you need to discard feelings, regrets, and grudges that keep a person tied down which is how Jacob in the movie makes peace with himself to finally reach heaven. I also think that if the cave was a symbol of purgatory, it would explain the clashing timelines of the characters there if you're to look at it more literally than just "here are some fun and varied characters in a fun and silly setting".

Also, to add to it I remember seeing a specific audio file in the game folder called "HellScripted.fev/.fsb" which is actually what kicked off this train of thought (though I do not know what audio it actually contains).

I mean, I know that the whole idea of the cave, get what you want most/teach a lesson, but I thought the whole idea of it being determination where they go to from limbo assuming that is where it is could be interesting. I personally think that the characters and their events are much more straight forward, but if anyone has other theories or head canons about anything in this game I'd LOVE to hear! Sorry for the over analyzing too. It's just really fun for me and I don't know any other people who might be interested in this conversation shhh.

Also I would really like to make tarot looking cards of the characters matching to attributing sins and virtues some time, but that only kind of ties in with my silly ramblings.

Nice, I was looking for a thread discussing the overall plot in the game. Somewhat spoilery warnings-

I too thought it seemed like The Cave was a purgatory of sorts. And I had that same idea that it would explain the mis-mash of timelines with the characters. I played with - The Knight, The Twins, and The Adventurer. I don't know how the storylines go for the other characters, but it seems like the ones I played had some dark history. So the Cave is supposed to help them to better understand what choices they made then? And do they remember their own past at all, or do the cave paintings sort of help them to recall things they no longer remember? And what of the others you come into contact with in your spelunking adventure? Are they there under similar circumstances, or are they something different altogether? And who exactly is the man running things at the front desk? I like the questions and overall vibe I got from the game. It seems like not much discussion is going on here now, but I figured I'd like to express my feelings after playing the game.

I think the cave is definitely some form of after life, one because each character seems to be reliving past experiences, and two because the twins seem to be dead, what with their look and ghost ability. I don't know what kind of afterlife it is though, whether it's hell, purgatory, or they are just spirits, but they are all obviously looking for answers/redemption, that being said, I would love to know the full stories of the other people you see in the cave, such as the mine, hermit, hunter, clown, robot, and pirate.

I also noticed that Hellscripted File, but can't think of any hellish moments in the game, apart from at the end when the cave is being closed down, and all that one section of the cave is filled with lava, or some kind of molten material. Also, I read an article where somebody had the idea that each character represents one of the seven deadly sins, though I think they may have been reading into it a little too much.

I arrived at the same conclusion, but took a different route getting there.

If you notice the campfire at the end of the game (right before the credits) only characters that chose the "good" ending are there. Characters that chose the "bad" ending are not. To me that means that those characters never left the cave. Even though the last time we saw them they were climbing the ladder towards the surface.

Also, consider the non-playable characters - (The Big Game Hunter, The Prospector, The Hermit, and the RockStar Guitar guy) They never gave up "the object they most desire" and also never left the Cave.

Sign in to follow this