Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Burger-Man

Save file/game progress overwritten/deleted after The Cave/PS3 4.40 updates

Hello dear something/someone.

Playing on European PS3, the fat one (PS2 backwards compatible)

My first playthrough I played as the: Twins, Knight, Adventurer.

I finished the game/cave without a problem, got som trophies and so on.

My second playthrough I played as the: Hillbilly, Scientist, Time Traveller.

SPOILER ALERT ahead, a small one.

On the Hillbilly specific section the game freezed up (with looping sound)

right after I lit the haybales with the lighter and tried to walk out of the Hillbilly section. It happened multiple times, the soultion for that, I found was to walk back a bit and then the haybales burned up and I could walk to next section.

SPOILER ALERT, Cancelled

Got the 4.40 PS3 system update.

Then The Cave said it had an update.

When the Cave did it´s installer thing I saw it said The Cave:Trial.

I thought it sounded a little weird, but hey - The Cave, it´s a little weird/funny.

But then not so funny when I started the game, it had no Continue on the main menu.

All my saves were gone.

Anyone else that has had this problem?

Is there a solution for this shit, cause it really sucks.

Best regards Burger-Man

Yes! I've just had the same problem (not sure its 4.40 related). Bascially, I started the Cave and it said there was a 1.01 update, which I installed. After that - no more save game!

Could be either update I suppose! Last time I played the Cave was before I'd installed both these updates. Does anyone know when the 1.01 Cave update was first released?

Nothing to do with the system update. I didn't update my system software, but just got a prompt to install version 1.01 of The Cave, and now I don't have any save games. Is there any way to get them back?

Edit: this is a Japanese PS3 slim, the one before the most recent one.

I have the same issue.

I bought the game, played it for hours, got an update during next continuation and my save game is gone.

I totally don't feel like playing all those hours again....this really sucks.... and apparantly no supportmember pays attention to this!

Sorry to hear you all have run into issues. Loosing your progress after an update is never OK. But not sure what could have caused that to happen. When we built the patch for The Cave we testing its effects on save data from before the patch and did not run into any issues during the tests. Additionally, a system update does not usually effect save games in any way. I will have our QA look into this ASAP.

Hi,

I'd just like to say that I also lost my saved game after updating to the latest version of The Cave. I didn't have a system update at the time so am pretty sure this was just the cave update. Incredibly annoying as I was actually quite enjoying it. It's now very unlikely I will carry on playing, unless a mechanism exists for retrieving overwritten saves, which I doubt..

Same problem here.

Running The Cave on a slim PS3 in America. I was going through on my third playthrough. Started today and PS Plus automatically updated my game. When I loaded it up, I was starting over. No cave paintings, no save game... as near as I can see my save is gone and it seems to have been replaced by a new fresh save.

Came here out of desperation hoping for a fix, but at least now I know I'm not alone. Any hope of a fix?

It's almost a month after this was reported here on the forums, followed by a number of corroborating accounts. My save game was also overwritten and I had to start this game over.

The fact that this update is still available on the PSN and has not been pulled for further testing is just crazy.

There is a problem here. It's not imaginary. Can you please figure it out before other people loose their progress too?

First I downloaded this game and found the bug where the Adventurer can't jump up to complete her own level. Then after the patch that supposedly fixes that, my game is completely erased.

I'm about set to give up on this game.

Had the same problem. It asked me to update the software, and then my saved game was completely lost. Really frustrating.

I think the same thing happened to me after PSN Plus automatically patched the game.

I started up the game and it went right into the intro sequence. Thinking I must've skipped past the "load game" thing or possibly hit "new game" accidentally (highly doubtful), I exited and tried to load up my previous game but the save was gone. Was it overwritten by the "new game"? Or did it disappear during the patch? I don't know. Is there only 1 save slot?

Not sure if I want to play through all over again since my gaming time is limited these days. Very frustrating.

Sign in to follow this