Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arch-Stanton

Release of DFA Episodes to the General Public

Many of us noticed that Episode 5 is now up for the general public on Gametrailers. The site also mentions that more are on the way. I'm speculating this has to do with other types of fundraising as mentioned in episode 7. Can you guys elaborate on what's going on, and what other episodes will be released and when? In my capacity as a funder of their making, I am curious as to the plan.

I don't have an issue with this at all, you can release all of them now if it would help contribute to the project.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know they released this.

Seems strange the way it's been done, putting Episode 5 of all. It was released 6 months ago, so it's not representative of the current state, and because previous episodes haven't been release it lacks some context. You can see the confusion in the comments.

According to 2PPs twitter it was a mistake:

was supposed to have a highlight reel but ep5 went up by mistake. We're in the process of fixing it now.
They will put a forum post up during the coming week:
we'll put a post up on the forums when we get back from PAX, but there will be GT stuff all week. Simultaneous release to backers.

Strange that it is still up and that they didn't take it down immediately.

It should be only for backers.

Take it down please.

No one ever said it would be only for backers. They can sell it, give it away, or broadcast it on NBC if they want. It's their product, and they own the copyright for it. We were only promised a copy, not exclusivity.

It should be only for backers.

Take it down please.

No one ever said it would be only for backers. They can sell it, give it away, or broadcast it on NBC if they want. It's their product, and they own the copyright for it. We were only promised a copy, not exclusivity.

Actually…

2 Player Productions will be documenting the creative process and releasing monthly video updates exclusively to the Kickstarter backers.

Quoted from the Kickstarter page.

Nobody had any delusions that the Documentary would not be available to the public after the project was finished, but it was supposed to remain exclusive to Backers for the duration.

EDIT: Before I come off too negative again, let me make it clear that I understand this was accidental and that they are not making it publicly available.

However after the supposedly ‘monthly’ video updates became bimonthly at best, and the exclusivity is expanded to anyone with $30 and a Paypal account, let’s not pretend on top of that, that the Documentary was to be Publicly released as it was made.

Honestly I don't see a problem with slowly letting them go public one episode at a time every month. Are we really gaining anything keeping episode 2 exclusively for ourselves? How about episode 4? Or 5? I think slowly letting the older episodes go public would be a good way to increase the hype and get more people interested. Maybe those idiots who think Kickstarter is a "scam" will start to take notice.

It's 2PP's documentary they can do with it whatever they want. As long as this forum remains exclusive (and updated) and backers get a chance to see the episodes first I don't see a problem.

I'm just guessing they won't release Episode 7 before releasing the game, it may not be a good idea to give the entire Internet an episode that says the game might not turn out as it was desired.

2 Player Productions will be documenting the creative process and releasing monthly video updates exclusively to the Kickstarter backers.

Let's just read that as saying monthly releases will be exclusive to us, not the released content as such. We've already enjoyed early access to half the documentary and so on, it seems childish to me to insist that they be kept completely secret, particularly if we remain the first ones to see their infrequent updates.

Honestly I don't see a problem with slowly letting them go public one episode at a time every month.

I do have to say, I think that the documentary, while great, is probably not a great promotional tool. What makes the documentary interesting is that it isn't just a hype piece, and it doesn't go out of its way to flatter the game.

I don't have a "problem" with them releasing it to the public, but I don't really think it's smart, either.

Let's just read that as saying monthly releases will be exclusive to us, not the released content as such. We've already enjoyed early access to half the documentary and so on, it seems childish to me to insist that they be kept completely secret, particularly if we remain the first ones to see their infrequent updates.

I think you misunderstand the point of my post.

The point I was getting at is that certain promises were made, the general idea was that the Documentary will be exclusive to backers. Thus ‘doing as they want’ when they said something specific before, is, unethical to say the least.

My personal opinion differs however; I honestly don’t care if they release them publicly on day one or if they burn them on discs and throw them as Frisbees.

When it comes to actually updating us with the progress of the game, the Documentary has not been as... Forthcoming as I would like, so it makes no difference to me if they release it publicly or not.

It would have bothered me on principle if I still cared or held 2PP/DF in some ethical pedestal.

Besides, we’re all discussing a moot point, they are not making Episodes public besides that one slip up, and the upcoming stuff Gametrailers is talking about will probably be PAX related stuff only adjacent to the Documentary/game. The reason is not because they absolutely need to stick to some arbitrary promise, no, the reason is because gaining access to the documentary by becoming a backer is an incentive to pre-order, everything that goes public is just a teaser.

I do not mind too much for the documentary to be released to the public (although it is quite irritating to have been promised exclusivity only for it to have been tossed aside), but what about this:

http://kotaku.com/5992166/tim-schafers-double-fine-adventure-game-revealed-meet-broken-age

They have a TITLE, they have A FREAKING WEBSITE:

http://www.brokenagegame.com/

for crying out loud!!! Once again, I do not mind exclusivity going by the wayside, as any mindshare increase that might eventually get DF more money to dedicate to Broken Age can only be a good thing. However, what about us faithful backers, then? Why were we not polled (or at least notified in advance) regarding how we'd feel about the Gametrailers highglight reel? Why were we not told before goddamn Kotaku that there was a working title now, and a website?

They should have at the very least notified us of all these things in advance. I am still glad I helped fund this game, but I feel cheated.

I do not mind too much for the documentary to be released to the public (although it is quite irritating to have been promised exclusivity only for it to have been tossed aside), but what about this:

http://kotaku.com/5992166/tim-schafers-double-fine-adventure-game-revealed-meet-broken-age

They have a TITLE, they have A FREAKING WEBSITE:

http://www.brokenagegame.com/

for crying out loud!!! Once again, I do not mind exclusivity going by the wayside, as any mindshare increase that might eventually get DF more money to dedicate to Broken Age can only be a good thing. However, what about us faithful backers, then? Why were we not polled (or at least notified in advance) regarding how we'd feel about the Gametrailers highglight reel? Why were we not told before goddamn Kotaku that there was a working title now, and a website?

They should have at the very least notified us of all these things in advance. I am still glad I helped fund this game, but I feel cheated.

Tim said the final name would be Broken Age in the poll thread he made for name suggestion, since it was a random reply though it quickly got buried amongst continuous name suggestions and other posts.

It would have been wise to close the thread immediately, send an update through Kickstarter on the name reveal (well after fixing any copyright issues at least) and making a new non-replyable thread with the name announcement so everyone can see it.

But, if you expected such delicate forum communication from DF you haven’t been paying attention this last year…

@Gorudo: Well, we already knew for a while that "Broken Age" is the final title, lookie here: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8905/P700/#267212

Agreed with the rest, though. Is it really so hard and unfair a request to keep the backers in the loop about what's going on with the game? It feels wrong to find news about it somewhere else on the web first instead of in this private forum here.

Arenegeth: yeah, I posted that as soon as I saw the Kotaku article, and only then did I start looking round here for reference to the final title. I soon noticed that thread you mention, read the last few posts there, and made a reply as well. What you mention would have been indeed a much preferable course of action, especially for people like me who almost never visit this forum and get their updates via the Kickstarter Project Update e-mails.

Acorino: understood, but as per my reply to Arenegeth, I rarely visit the forums. Sure, I will be missing out on a lot of the nitty-gritty and that's fine, but for something major such as a title and a website, a big organized announcement was not too much to expect. I completely agree with you.

Arenegeth: yeah, I posted that as soon as I saw the Kotaku article, and only then did I start looking round here for reference to the final title. I soon noticed that thread you mention, read the last few posts there, and made a reply as well. What you mention would have been indeed a much preferable course of action, especially for people like me who almost never visit this forum and get their updates via the Kickstarter Project Update e-mails.

Acorino: understood, but as per my reply to Arenegeth, I rarely visit the forums. Sure, I will be missing out on a lot of the nitty-gritty and that's fine, but for something major such as a title and a website, a big organized announcement was not too much to expect. I completely agree with you.

If you don't visit the forums much, then you can't expect to be the first to know. From the moment the forums opened this has been the place to get the latest info - not Kickstarter and not emails. It was made clear during the Kickstarter that these forums would be the venue for updates. They haven't always been great at keeping us updated here either, that's true, but it shouldn't be surprising that you read it on a website first if you hardly ever come here in the first place. I get that the news got buried and maybe should have got a new/updated post somewhere more prominent on the forums, but if you're concerned with getting the news in advance, why aren't you more of a regular?

@SurplusGamer, well, it's true, but we found out about the game website through a different website public announcement and not here. I really expect to be able to see the news from DF and 2PP on their section of the forum, not from a different website, Twitter updates or observant backer who "finds" this first.

@SurplusGamer, well, it's true, but we found out about the game website through a different website public announcement and not here. I really expect to be able to see the news from DF and 2PP on their section of the forum, not from a different website, Twitter updates or observant backer who "finds" this first.

Eh, I guess. But given that the website was a public announcement (not just an announcement for backers) and we're part of the public, I guess I don't see the point in them announcing it separately to us, too. I suppose there's an argument that it finesses it a little to have all the announcements in this place, but I think increasingly we're going to see a distinction between public updates for everyone and backer updates just for us.

Yeah, well, now we have at least 3 different threads discussing the website and in all of them people are complaining.

Sometimes there are really cool stuff here, sometimes DF just disappear entirely and we hear about this project through other means, I guess this is how they prefer it.

Yeah, well, now we have at least 3 different threads discussing the website and in all of them people are complaining.

Sometimes there are really cool stuff here, sometimes DF just disappear entirely and we hear about this project through other means, I guess this is how they prefer it.

Come on, if that isn't sampling bias then I'm not sure what is... the thousands of people who are satisfied probably don't feel the need to make threads saying everything's cool.

Of course it's sampling bias :)

But wouldn't it be great if you had a post title: "Official Broken Age Website Goes Live!"?

Wouldn't that have addressed most of the complaints?

Of course you'll still have those who complain about the name or some other thing, but it wouldn't have created a situation where we need to wonder when Broken Age (((see, I'm adapting))) news is given straight from DF and when you just have to find about it in the media. At the very least it gives backers the feeling they are actually communicating with DF and seeing the results.

Edit: While this is my chief complaint, as I said, there are cool things here too. Having poll for the name for example is a very nice thing to do.

Of course it's sampling bias :)

But wouldn't it be great if you had a post title: "Official Broken Age Website Goes Live!"?

Wouldn't that have addressed most of the complaints?

Of course you'll still have those who complain about the name or some other thing, but it wouldn't have created a situation where we need to wonder when Broken Age (((see, I'm adapting))) news is given straight from DF and when you just have to find about it in the media. At the very least it gives backers the feeling they are actually communicating with DF and seeing the results.

Edit: While this is my chief complaint, as I said, there are cool things here too. Having poll for the name for example is a very nice thing to do.

I agree, it would have been ideal, but I also think the people this is bothering is a very small percentage. I don't really blame DF because these events are incredibly busy times. It seems to me that a lot of people who are complaining about this are people who already follow game news websites anyway, and so even if DF had posted something on this forum about the website, they probably would have read it somewhere else first. It's not like they're telling the public before us - we're STILL the public. I think it's perfectly sensible to release public updates publicly and backer updates here, I don't think there's any real value in putting public updates in both arenas - except to circumvent this quibbling which part of me hopes they won't be pandering to.

A few things:

Handling PR for a large project is a precarious thing. You have to plan a strategy to maximize your impact andDthe amount of mdia attention you will bring to the project, which will hopefully bring customers. The plan as I see it seems

Not sure about the others, but I found about it here from another backer response, it would have felt much better to get it from DF, here, where there's a specific DF backer forum. I'm really not going to start following these websites too just to hear once in a while a DF update that is also intended to the public. There's a reason I visit this forum and it goes way beyond these lively conversations :)

Edit: @Arch-Stanton - answered you regarding that leak argument from the other thread. We had zero leaks from backers. There was one leak from DF themselves that was unintentional. We knew about the name well in advance yet didn't find it anywhere outside this forum prior to the official announcement. I'm also sure Kotaku knew about the name choice around the time backers knew about it, and even if they didn't they can have clear access for $30, yet you don't see leaks.

If you don't visit the forums much, then you can't expect to be the first to know. From the moment the forums opened this has been the place to get the latest info - not Kickstarter and not emails. It was made clear during the Kickstarter that these forums would be the venue for updates. They haven't always been great at keeping us updated here either, that's true, but it shouldn't be surprising that you read it on a website first if you hardly ever come here in the first place. I get that the news got buried and maybe should have got a new/updated post somewhere more prominent on the forums, but if you're concerned with getting the news in advance, why aren't you more of a regular?

Did you even bother to read the second part of the post you quoted, where I reply to Acorino? I do not mind missing out on a lot of the nitty-gritty, but a working title and a dedicated website are things I consider major milestones and ones that should have been handled a lot more gracefully. We already get Kickstarter Project Update e-mail notifications for 2PP's videos. How difficult would it have been to issue one of those pointing to the post where the working title was decided, to where the website was announced and notifying us that a clip from 2PP would be released to non-backers, and doing so before those events happened?

Also, why does it make a difference what percentage of us is not satisfied? Obviously you do not need to change the status quo for those who are happy with it, it's those who are unhappy you should at least listen to. And as for these being busy times, once again: all they had to do was write one single e-mail. They have staffers tasked with this, even a community manager, don't they? Are you honestly saying none of them had 5 minutes to spare to compose a few lines and hit "Reply"?

Finally: you hope they don't "pander" to this "quibbling"? Nice choice of words to belittle those who do not agree with you, and in essence only want a little bit more straightforwardness regarding communications from DF and 2PP.

Did you even bother to read the second part of the post you quoted, where I reply to Acorino? I do not mind missing out on a lot of the nitty-gritty, but a working title and a dedicated website are things I consider major milestones and ones that should have been handled a lot more gracefully. We already get Kickstarter Project Update e-mail notifications for 2PP's videos. How difficult would it have been to issue one of those pointing to the post where the working title was decided, to where the website was announced and notifying us that a clip from 2PP would be released to non-backers, and doing so before those events happened?

Also, why does it make a difference what percentage of us is not satisfied? Obviously you do not need to change the status quo for those who are happy with it, it's those who are unhappy you should at least listen to. And as for these being busy times, once again: all they had to do was write one single e-mail. They have staffers tasked with this, even a community manager, don't they? Are you honestly saying none of them had 5 minutes to spare to compose a few lines and hit "Reply"?

Finally: you hope they don't "pander" to this "quibbling"? Nice choice of words to belittle those who do not agree with you, and in essence only want a little bit more straightforwardness regarding communications from DF and 2PP.

1) Yes, of course I read it, my reply was to point out that it was never a question that this is the place to come for updates, so I don't think you ought to be surprised that you miss some news if you don't come here much.

2) It makes a difference because if they tried to please all 80k backers all of the time, they'd quickly drive themselves nuts, so they have to make judgements. I'm not saying they'll always be right, but a few prominent complaints on a forum doesn't mean that they're making any big mistakes either.

3) Yup, I'm going to stick with "quibbling," because I really think this is what this is. All I could think of when I saw that site and image is how cool it looked. The official post was eventually put up by 2PP and is in the Double Fine 2PP forum right now. He apologises for the delay in it going up, but also provides some cool details. Seems to me that it's perfectly understandable that during this busy time not everything is going to be posted up when you want it to. These are quibbles.

Are some people really that pretentious that they're complaining about not knowing about the Broken Age name/website earlier than the public? Give me a break. Double Fine and 2 Player Productions are clearly busy with PAX East, GDC and keeping up with the documentary and game. It's been revealed. Get over it.

SurplusGamer: you are not seeing my point, but ultimately it doesn't matter. While I do not agree with your arguments, I do concede they are perfectly valid. At the end of the day, all that matters is that Broken Age ends up being the best game it can be, which is what everything we've seen so far points to.

Sign in to follow this