Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RogerGermany

Project Reds official site? What the heck??????

Hi there,

I am disappointed to see that there is an official site with the real name of the project in an games blog before we backers were informed by an Kickstarter update.

What's your opinion to that?

By the way, if you did not know, the address of the new site is:

http://www.brokenagegame.com/

Hi there,

I don't like it to see that there is an official site with the real name of the project in an games blog before we backers are informed by an update.

Whats your opinion to that?

By the way the address:

Well Tim did say he chose this name like a week ago on the forums, but I'm sure not everyone keeps up with this.

I like the art. I wish that was the poster they made instead of the silly 2HB one.

And either Chris or Greg mentioned in recent updates that the public PR push would start soon. Given that PAX East and GDC are now, get the name out there and tease it in prep for something bigger at E3. Pure speculation on my part, but I've been around long enough to see potential patterns. :)

Hi there,

I don't like it to see that there is an official site with the real name of the project in an games blog before we backers are informed by an update.

Whats your opinion to that?

By the way the address:

Well Tim did say he chose this name like a week ago on the forums, but I'm sure not everyone keeps up with this.

I like the art. I wish that was the poster they made instead of the silly 2HB one.

I think backers deserve that they are informed first and foremost with an official update over Kickstarter about such decisions and the launch of a homepage. This was the promise, as I remember correct. And yes, maybe there were some info/poll in the forums, but not all of us have the time to check the forum regularly.

And either Chris or Greg mentioned in recent updates that the public PR push would start soon. Given that PAX East and GDC are now, get the name out there and tease it in prep for something bigger at E3. Pure speculation on my part, but I've been around long enough to see potential patterns. :)

I live in Germany, so I am not able to visit PAX East. If they provided a simple little update like this ...

"Hey backers, we have reached another important milestone: We are going public with the official name and website on blabla March. So celebrate with us."

... I would not complain!

All I want to say with all that: Last time I see some room for improvement regarding communication to backers.

My inner cynic, as soon as he heard that the game was about to see its first marketing push constructed the thought that he’ll be getting his news for this game from outside sources from now on. Because it was finally the time to sell the game to non-backers and not to cater to people whose money they already got.

Contrary to popular belief, I hate my inner cynic.

And this one case doesn’t prove him to be right either, the name was announced first here, granted it wasn’t displayed properly, it should have probably followed a Kickstarter update, but whatever the case, this by itself (and the ‘long silence’ prelude before it) doesn’t mean that we backers are second fiddle from now on.

Or at least I hope so, because if there’s one thing I hate more than my inner cynic, is when the *censored* is right.

I just read the name of the game on adventuregamers a few minutes ago and I too was surprised not to know anything about it previously.

I thought we backers were to be kept up to date on all development of the games before it went public.

I see now that there was a poll for the name of the game in the forum but not all backers read the forums regularly.

Something like that would have been better to have been included in a kickstarter update.

I've backed lots of games on kickstarter and don't have the time to read or even join all their forums but expect to kept up to date on progress of said games through kickstarter updates.

Surely you guys see how irresponsible it would be to post info on a forum for a multi-million dollar game, when it should be properly used to generate buzz in a press release?

Would you rather the article be titled "Kotaku read on the DF Forum that the game will be called Broken Age"? Or would you rather they receive an official release with all of the relevant information to maximize the amount of media coverage and press impact (as they did)?

Surely you guys see how irresponsible it would be to post info on a forum for a multi-million dollar game, when it should be properly used to generate buzz in a press release?

Would you rather the article be titled "Kotaku read on the DF Forum that the game will be called Broken Age"? Or would you rather they receive an official release with all of the relevant information to maximize the amount of media coverage and press impact (as they did)?

They can market the shit out of the game in my opinion, I don't care. They should market the game. But they have promised to inform us backers on important decisions and milestones. This is one IMHO. So I think we can expect that we are informed at the same time. That was one of the reason why I backed the game.

ummmm.... when was the last leak from this forum anyway?

I'm pretty sure there are people from Kotaku who are backers too and besides, the name Broken Age was known to the forum for some time now so you could have had that leak back then but it didn't.

By the way, very few would dare leak game information on these websites, there are some well established rules in this industry.

You do realize that this ‘multimillion dollar game’ was made with our (that’s yours and mine) money and not some random third party right?

My money, my honey, as an old man down the street used to say.

I’m just putting in perspective, as to why some people may be bothered by this.

Informing backers at the same time might have been nice, but some announcements should be made publically before they're announced to backers because that's how you generate buzz.

Informing backers at the same time might have been nice, but some announcements should be made publically before they're announced to backers because that's how you generate buzz.

They can do a marketing push and inform us backers. There is nothing that prevents them to do so.I do even think that informing the backers at the same time will extend the buzz.

They can do a marketing push and inform us backers. There is nothing that prevents them to do so.I do even think that informing the backers at the same time will extend the buzz.

Informing backers at the same time, yes. Informing them before, no.

Double Fine is in a weird spot. PR is all about controlling the flow of information, but the nature of this project is to loosen the flow of information. There's some need for compromise on both ends, I think.

"The last leaf of autumn."

Very nice comparison Monkey Mania. :) Although "Loom" may not be my favorite adventure game it features one of my absolute favorite intro scenes of any game.

I like the picture as well as the font but i still don't like the name - somehow i had to think of Quest for Tires.

Hopefully they sell many copies. Btw. aren't there some comma errors in the text?

Unless the spaceship has some special windows, shouldn't the stars be a lot brighter in space?

Some nice colours on the girl's side and i like the constellation duvet cover.

The separation between the two images could be more interesting though, this way it looks a bit too simple.

Everyone has been quite busy, so it's no surprise that we didn't get word of the website earlier. However, Broken Age was decided about a week ago, so I knew that was the name of the game. 2PP just posted a more formal update on the forums about this, too.

tim already posted that broken age would be the final name several days ago.

You only needed to read 700+ posts to get to him thinking that might be the name.

I can appreciate the need for a big reveal. As RogerGermany pointed out, just a "Hey, we are announcing the name on the 24th! Be ready to be amazed!" would have been enough to satisfy most of us.

To people that say big announcements are how you generate buzz, I counter with the fact that leaks are how you generate buzz. I am more than happy that it wasn't leaked early, but if you want to generate buzz, that's how you do it.

We are the people paying for this game. We won't take home any of the profits from it. I think all of us want the game to be as big a hit as possible and have already done our part. The least they can do is nod at us in the hall as they walk passed.

You do realize that this ‘multimillion dollar game’ was made with our (that’s yours and mine) money and not some random third party right?

I don't see how anyone could realistically expect Double Fine to do it any other way... they lose a lot of the impact if "rumours" from a "backer only" forum come before the official announcement.

Marketing and hype are very important for games. It's not like there's anything on that site that we don't have far more detail about, having seen the documentary.

Press releases and marketing materials will be released to everyone simultaneously, and backers shouldn't have any expectation of getting an "early scoop", since that defeats a lot of the public hype they want/need for this game to be successful.

tim already posted that broken age would be the final name several days ago.

You only needed to read 700+ posts to get to him thinking that might be the name.

I can appreciate the need for a big reveal. As RogerGermany pointed out, just a "Hey, we are announcing the name on the 24th! Be ready to be amazed!" would have been enough to satisfy most of us.

To people that say big announcements are how you generate buzz, I counter with the fact that leaks are how you generate buzz. I am more than happy that it wasn't leaked early, but if you want to generate buzz, that's how you do it.

We are the people paying for this game. We won't take home any of the profits from it. I think all of us want the game to be as big a hit as possible and have already done our part. The least they can do is nod at us in the hall as they walk passed.

You can just search on all posts made by tim of legend and allot of people posted after tim did that post that the name was already decided.

I don't see how anyone could realistically expect Double Fine to do it any other way... they lose a lot of the impact if "rumours" from a "backer only" forum come before the official announcement.

Marketing and hype are very important for games. It's not like there's anything on that site that we don't have far more detail about, having seen the documentary.

Press releases and marketing materials will be released to everyone simultaneously, and backers shouldn't have any expectation of getting an "early scoop", since that defeats a lot of the public hype they want/need for this game to be successful.

Think about how buzz works: Rumors swirled for months that the original cast would return for the new Star Wars movies. That generated interest and headlines from October until March when they officially stated it. The same with the hiring of a director. That's the nature of buzz. An announcement gets you a headline for a day. Rumor gets you headlines for months (or years in the case of Duke Forever).

It's also bad juju to announce anything big on Sunday because the people who write about your stories are generally off on the weekends. Look at how they handle the San Diego Comicon: Big announcements Thursday, Friday and Saturday. On Sunday, everyone is packing up their stuff to go home.

Of course if they wanted advice or input from my nearly 15 years working in the media, they'd probably have asked. :cheese: That they didn't won't stop me or anyone else from thinking we know better, though! ;-)

Also for people missing threads on this forum subscribe to this http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6794/ thread it always gets updated with new blog posts and other important info.

Thanks for promoting this! I wish they had.

Think they did actually even on their last episode 8 post on kickstarter.

FORUM ACCESS REMINDER

Don't forget--to access the private backer forums, you need to have proper access. If you don't, make sure to register on the Double Fine Action Forums using the email address associated with your Kickstarter account. Register here.

Once you sign up and confirm your membership, it can take up to a full business day for the system to authorize you as a backer, so give it a bit of time. If it's been a couple days and you still don't have access, email support@doublefine.com

There are a few ways to easily keep up with forum updates:

◾Bookmark and check the backer landing page.

◾Subscribe to the backer RSS feed.

◾Subscribe to the Table of Contents thread on the forums.

That's it for now! 2 Player is back on their regular documentary schedule now, so look forward to more episodes coming soon!

For the real links to all 3 check kickstarter episode 8 update.

Hey guys!

There's a certain amount of excitement and surprise and spontaneity that can really only be captured at a live event in real-time, which is why we decided to do the "official" name announcement live during the PAX panel.

HOWEVER! The name was chosen based on the naming thread Tim did, and "Broken Age" was the name that seemed most popular in total with the fans and the Reds team. Tim indicated in the thread that that was the name, so backers had access to that information in advance. I do understand that that was a long thread and not everyone can be expected to dig through the whole thing; that's totally understandable. But we did feel there was some legitimate value to doing it in first in that informal way with backers, and then with a bit of a splash later at PAX. Other than the new website coming online, everything else in the panel was old news for those who have kept up with the updates and forums.

But hey--I know where you guys are coming from in terms of wanting a heads up in advance. So I will say this: watch the stream of the Game Developers Choice Awards this Wednesday!

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=2013_igf_gdc_awards_live20130327

Sign in to follow this