Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RogerGermany

Project Reds official site? What the heck??????

Hey guys!

There's a certain amount of excitement and surprise and spontaneity that can really only be captured at a live event in real-time, which is why we decided to do the "official" name announcement live during the PAX panel.

HOWEVER! The name was chosen based on the naming thread Tim did, and "Broken Age" was the name that seemed most popular in total with the fans and the Reds team. Tim indicated in the thread that that was the name, so backers had access to that information in advance. I do understand that that was a long thread and not everyone can be expected to dig through the whole thing; that's totally understandable. But we did feel there was some legitimate value to doing it in first in that informal way with backers, and then with a bit of a splash later at PAX. Other than the new website coming online, everything else in the panel was old news for those who have kept up with the updates and forums.

But hey--I know where you guys are coming from in terms of wanting a heads up in advance. So I will say this: watch the stream of the Game Developers Choice Awards this Wednesday!

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=2013_igf_gdc_awards_live20130327

Thanks for the heads up I will definitely watch. I think it will be the trailer.

Hey guys!

But hey--I know where you guys are coming from in terms of wanting a heads up in advance. So I will say this: watch the stream of the Game Developers Choice Awards this Wednesday!

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=2013_igf_gdc_awards_live20130327

This type of response definitely addresses the problem regarding updates from DF for game announcements that are going to be public.

If I may suggest one small addition - post it on the DF and 2PP section, it will make it much more visible to the backers.

I don't see how anyone could realistically expect Double Fine to do it any other way... they lose a lot of the impact if "rumours" from a "backer only" forum come before the official announcement.

Marketing and hype are very important for games. It's not like there's anything on that site that we don't have far more detail about, having seen the documentary.

Press releases and marketing materials will be released to everyone simultaneously, and backers shouldn't have any expectation of getting an "early scoop", since that defeats a lot of the public hype they want/need for this game to be successful.

I’m not sure why you quoted me over others, I was making the point as to why some people care about being treated as special butterflies, on a unicorn’s back, while riding a double rainbow.

As far as marketing is concerned, Kickstarter projects don’t really befall the same standards as other games, because guess what? You announced the game about a year before you were going to release it, by asking money to make it, ooops!

And you promised backers you’re gonna keep them in the loop for the duration of development, double ooops!

That’s puts a fumble to traditional marketing right there, then the other part is, unless you got some money on the side, people do not like the idea that they gave you money, not so you can make a better game, but so you can market it. That’s why many projects are careful to specify that all money goes into actual development.

Now DF, riding both on their immense popularity, compared to anything else besides a golden chicken and I guess habit, since until recently they only worked with Publishers and all that it entails, they are pushing this game more traditionally than other Kickstarter projects, that rely mostly on word of mouth and fostering a community (not that they’re not doing that too, is just that’s not their focus) all that while working with a shoestring marketing budget (they are sharing a booth at PAX, what does that tell you?)

It was inevitable they would have raffled a few of their backer’s feathers along the way.

Kickstarter is a new thing, developers who use it need to adjust in that new reality, they need to market their games differently to mirror that, they need to understand that backers are not some benevolent omnipresent entity that made those numbers fly, but a large group of individuals with different tastes, ideals and motivations for backing and because of that they will never be able to satisfy everyone, but they should always try, not to give reason for dissatisfaction.

Hey guys!

There's a certain amount of excitement and surprise and spontaneity that can really only be captured at a live event in real-time, which is why we decided to do the "official" name announcement live during the PAX panel.

HOWEVER! The name was chosen based on the naming thread Tim did, and "Broken Age" was the name that seemed most popular in total with the fans and the Reds team. Tim indicated in the thread that that was the name, so backers had access to that information in advance. I do understand that that was a long thread and not everyone can be expected to dig through the whole thing; that's totally understandable. But we did feel there was some legitimate value to doing it in first in that informal way with backers, and then with a bit of a splash later at PAX. Other than the new website coming online, everything else in the panel was old news for those who have kept up with the updates and forums.

Chris, as the original author of this thread I really wished you did some heads up via Kickstarter that there will be an announcement at PAX and via gaming press. I was not complaining that there was the name decision (because I attended the poll by myself) or a new web site. I was complaining about a lack of promised PRO-ACTIVE communication of a MAJOR MILESTONE to ALL backers or in this case only a hint or heads up. I wanted to be informed by you and not coincidentally by browsing a blog. IMHO the best way to do such a thing is via kickstarter especially if you look into the numbers of your forum where you can see not all your backers looking regularly into it. I can totally understand the need for hype and buzz, in the end you are a business that tries to reach your business goals but I hope you take this as the constructive criticsm as it meant to be

I think if they really wanted all the feedback/voting for finding a name for the game then they should have announced this via an update which informs all the backers. I doubt that this would have lead to a better result and i prefer a great name (subjective i know) over a bad one which might be selected by the majority. This way it more felt like throwing some ideas into the room, looking at how people react to them and maybe getting some inspiration.

At least the (temporary ?! ;O) name/site/presentation/mumbo jumbo at Pax should be communicated via an update once it's ready and i expect the Pax thing to be in an upcoming episode as well, right? :o)

You should just not mix up http://brokenagegame.com with http://brokenage.com (a working browser game?, at least they registered the domain more than a year ago).

Given that the name is not 100% confirmed (Tim said he might change it down the line) I don't see this as being the major milestone some people do. We've found out SO much about the meat of the game before anyone else - I think the story and art styles are all more central to the concept than the title. Names are important of course, but let's not go overboard!

On another point, I don't think Double Fine should feel like they're under the thumb of the backers. Yes, we funded the game, but it's poor form to start using that as a means to control what they do. If we weren't getting wonderful episodes from 2PP and Double Fine didn't deliver the game, then there would be cause to complain. As it is, I think we're getting a pretty good deal :P

I learned about this via a tech personality on Google+. You know what my first thought was? 'Oh cool.' Never once did some sense of entitlement upset me. The thought to grumble about not knowing this information before a non-backer didn't occur to me at all. I'm happy to fund the game. I'm getting incredible behind-the-scenes footage. And I'm getting regular updates. I don't need to know everything before everyone else. Seriously. And you know the people complaining the loudest probably contributed campaign minimum. How about we just calm it down, look at the beautiful game art, enjoy the documentaries, browse the incredible wealth of entertainment in these forums and just be happy that we're getting an old school point and click adventure? Life is about perspective. You're here on planet Earth another day. Thank God, or god, or the universe, whoever it is you thank. This experience is pretty cool, amiright? And it's pretty cool even without being on the cutting edge, or being the first to know, at least IMO.

I think if they really wanted all the feedback/voting for finding a name for the game then they should have announced this via an update which informs all the backers. I doubt that this would have lead to a better result and i prefer a great name (subjective i know) over a bad one which might be selected by the majority. This way it more felt like throwing some ideas into the room, looking at how people react to them and maybe getting some inspiration.

At least the (temporary ?! ;O) name/site/presentation/mumbo jumbo at Pax should be communicated via an update once it's ready and i expect the Pax thing to be in an upcoming episode as well, right? :o)

You should just not mix up http://brokenagegame.com with http://brokenage.com (a working browser game?, at least they registered the domain more than a year ago).

The forum doublefine collection topic on follow is best way to follow this project they only do video updates on kickstarter.

Is the artwork on the website what the actual game looks like? I never thought it would look so nice. I love it

I learned about this via a tech personality on Google+. You know what my first thought was? 'Oh cool.' Never once did some sense of entitlement upset me. The thought to grumble about not knowing this information before a non-backer didn't occur to me at all. I'm happy to fund the game. I'm getting incredible behind-the-scenes footage. And I'm getting regular updates. I don't need to know everything before everyone else. Seriously. And you know the people complaining the loudest probably contributed campaign minimum. How about we just calm it down, look at the beautiful game art, enjoy the documentaries, browse the incredible wealth of entertainment in these forums and just be happy that we're getting an old school point and click adventure? Life is about perspective. You're here on planet Earth another day. Thank God, or god, or the universe, whoever it is you thank. This experience is pretty cool, amiright? And it's pretty cool even without being on the cutting edge, or being the first to know, at least IMO.

I have worked at an organization dedicated to ending breast cancer as a life threatening illness in a developing nation. I have watched them struggle with loss, grief and the epic battle for funding. Finding out that the name of the game we all contributed to was going to be announced and the associated sense of community can balance the negatives that come with watching too many women die within a year of being diagnosed with a disease that in the West isn't such a big deal anymore.

Please try not to assume we are all pompous and self-centered because we were looking forward to the news and were disappointed it came to us from third parties.

Is the artwork on the website what the actual game looks like? I never thought it would look so nice. I love it

I agree сто процентов.

When I saw the articles on a bunch of sites, I thought I was the only one thinking it was ridiculous the backers weren't given an announcement about the name. I pledged a lot of money to this game, I shouldn't have to trawl dev's forum posts to get this info. Double Fine should be using the official Kickstarter update system, but they are only using it for once-every-2-months videos

While I was surprised to hear there had been an official announcement, I did already know that it was Broken Age because of all the discussing of it we did here in the forums. I wasn't upset and I didn't really care. I think the people that do feel upset need to re-read what the kickstarter promised you as a backer. We are getting development updates, a regular documentary, fun input polls, and a cool community in which to share our common love of Double Fine and Adventure Games. PLUS all the bonuses and benefits from fangamer and a copy of the game. No one is being taken advantage of, your investment in the game is still golden.

Also, the forums are here for us to keep up-to-date. If you don't read the forums, you can't really be indignant that the game is progressing without you.

While I was surprised to hear there had been an official announcement, I did already know that it was Broken Age because of all the discussing of it we did here in the forums. I wasn't upset and I didn't really care. I think the people that do feel upset need to re-read what the kickstarter promised you as a backer. We are getting development updates, a regular documentary, fun input polls, and a cool community in which to share our common love of Double Fine and Adventure Games. PLUS all the bonuses and benefits from fangamer and a copy of the game. No one is being taken advantage of, your investment in the game is still golden.

Also, the forums are here for us to keep up-to-date. If you don't read the forums, you can't really be indignant that the game is progressing without you.

The proper method for communicating with backers is Kickstarter as that gets the info directly to the main pool of backers. See how they handle letting us know when a new behind the scenes episode is available. That would be the best way to announce milestones and impending big announcements. Assuming everyone has as much free time as you to lounge on the internet is making a false generalization.

Here's an idea: Let's keep all the updates, every bit of information to ourselves. Let's shut down the Kickstarter page so no one can see it. Let's take down the game's website so none of those dirty non-backer's can lay their eye's on the beauty. Let's not even release the game, documentary, or even highlights to people who aren't backers. Let's keep everything to ourselves and shoot anyone who utters a single word of the project to anyone outside our elite circle.

Will that make everyone happy?

Assuming everyone has as much free time as you to lounge on the internet is making a false generalization.

Free time to lounge the internet? How long does it take you to get on the DF forum exactly? The thread is right there at the top in big letters. "WRITING UPDATE 4 POTENTIAL REDS NAMES".

Why is everyone so entitled?

The proper method for communicating with backers is Kickstarter as that gets the info directly to the main pool of backers. See how they handle letting us know when a new behind the scenes episode is available. That would be the best way to announce milestones and impending big announcements. Assuming everyone has as much free time as you to lounge on the internet is making a false generalization.

No. Check the kickstarter webpage for the DFA. The very first sentence says:

"The Kickstarter pledge period has ended, but the real fun is just beginning. Visit http://www.doublefine.com/dfa for the most current info about progress on Double Fine Adventure."

"The Kickstarter pledge period has ended, but the real fun is just beginning. Visit http://www.doublefine.com/dfa for the most current info about progress on Double Fine Adventure."

A specific project creator might want to communicate with their backers using courier pigeons.

It is generally expected for any Kickstarter project to communicate important information to Backers through Kickstarter it self, since that is the only guaranteed way to reach all of them.

Since you know, courier pigeons sometimes get eaten by hawks and such.

I'm not debating the best way or the most commonly used way. I'm just pointing out that via the kickstarter page itself, Double Fine has made it clear they have chosen to use these forums as the means of delivering the most up to date info about the game.

I'm not debating the best way or the most commonly used way. I'm just pointing out that via the kickstarter page itself, Double Fine has made it clear they have chosen to use these forums as the means of delivering the most up to date info about the game.

There might be a little hole in your logic there because why they use Kickstarter to release the video updates then? Because it is THE WAY to get the attention of ALL Backers! Whoohooo. Roger. Out

There might be a little hole in your logic there because why they use Kickstarter to release the video updates then? Because it is THE WAY to get the attention of ALL Backers! Whoohooo. Roger. Out

2PP makes the video updates. DF uses the forums. Whoohoo. Leroy. Out.

2PP makes the video updates. DF uses the forums. Whoohoo. Leroy. Out.

Ok, to be more precise: As I understand it, 2PP delivers the video content, but the Updates have much more Information in addition to it. So I think it is not only 2PP, its DF and 2PP together. So no, I don't agree with you on this. But thats not important for me. The things I stated in my Reply to Chris are the ones that are important to me. And yes I know, they (DF) have said to register in the forums and so on, but if you look at the numbers, only 2 - 3 threads reach the number of backers that are shown at Kickstarter. So in my opinion you need to use Kickstarter to be sure that you have reached all backers. Thats all what I wanted to say. And in my personel opinion they should have used this method to give some information about that "name decision and website" thing. Besides this little thing I was totally ok with how they handled us backers so far.

To be fair, it was never stipulated that every last bit of released information had to go to backers first. In my opinion the team can and should be able to speak with and release information to whoever they want about their game, be it gaming mag exclusives, press releases or public content. We're not exactly starved for exclusives, they are well and truly living up to their end of the backer rewards deal, and this was quite a small amount of content. To my mind valuing the exclusivity of content over the content itself seems to miss the point of all this. We could all be having a good time enjoying some new artwork rather than feeling hurt that some non-backers might have seen it or the name before we did. I don't mean to offend anyone but that's my view. I can see why some people might not like it, but I think they are only hampering their own enjoyment of this ride.

To be fair, it was never stipulated that every last bit of released information had to go to backers first. In my opinion the team can and should be able to speak with and release information to whoever they want about their game, be it gaming mag exclusives, press releases or public content. We're not exactly starved for exclusives, they are well and truly living up to their end of the backer rewards deal, and this was quite a small amount of content. To my mind valuing the exclusivity of content over the content itself seems to miss the point of all this. We could all be having a good time enjoying some new artwork rather than feeling hurt that some non-backers might have seen it or the name before we did. I don't mean to offend anyone but that's my view. I can see why some people might not like it, but I think they are only hampering their own enjoyment of this ride.

Yup. And also, people keep in talking about this like it's a major milestone but I really don't think the team see it that way at all. They all seem pretty casual about it, it was just a marketing beat they needed to hit in time for PAX

A specific project creator might want to communicate with their backers using courier pigeons.

It is generally expected for any Kickstarter project to communicate important information to Backers through Kickstarter it self, since that is the only guaranteed way to reach all of them.

Since you know, courier pigeons sometimes get eaten by hawks and such.

They update on kickstarter only they do everything at the same time of a new video release same with sidequest they only been put on kickstarter with the main video as this has also happened.

The name is not really a milestone, is a freaking name, it’s only adjacent to the development of the game, given the reactions though, both here and in public forums, a lot of backers consider it an important thing.

Personally despite my several points I didn’t infer a direct opinion until now.

I don’t care, because hey! I check this site about 300 times a day!

But in doing so, I have ignored several different projects I backed. It was a conscious choice at the beginning of the Kickstarter craze, to focus on the development of one game, rather than spreading my attention too thinly on several (spurred by the supposed transparency of this project). I still keep informed about the other projects, but guess what?

It is mostly through Kickstarter, since I don’t have the time to visit their own sites, and make up yet another set of login details.

When I found out about the Wasteland 2 first screenshot, it was actually from a third party games news site, after that I went to Kickstarter, and lo and behold there was an update about it.

So I can understand why some backers would expect something like this, not to get to them first, which it still did by the creation of the thread here, but simultaneously to the public announcement through Kickstarter.

I don’t like it when project creators force you to visit their sites for info, because some of their reasons aren’t to their backer’s interest, like benefiting from any ad revenue, or using their site to sell other products they’re working on. I don’t expect to get every detail in daily Kickstarter updates, but the important stuff, even if they are released to the Public at the same time, should be expected, and apparently for a lot of people the name reveal was important.

In any case, I believe it was a conscious decision on DF’s part to keep it low key, in order to maximize the impact of the reveal to the Public (as Chris more or less said so). Anybody who has access to this forum can see that the amount of people who post frequently don’t compare to the total sum of backers, and though I’m sure the people who lurk or occasionally visit, are a lot more, they are still a margin of the sum.

If you really, and I mean really mind the name thing, instead of just complaining, keep it in mind next time DF asks you for money.

They update on kickstarter only they do everything at the same time of a new video release same with sidequest they only been put on kickstarter with the main video as this has also happened.

I’m not sure what you’re talking about, but if you mean that they only updated with Episodes through Kickstarter before (except one time during the ‘long silence’ with sidequests), then yes. And? My point was general.

STILL no Kickstarter update about the name and the launch of the website. This is ridiculous...

STILL no Kickstarter update about the name and the launch of the website. This is ridiculous...

It's not an important announcement that needs a separate update for backers. It's, and the accompanying trailer and website a public annoucement and thus were announced publicly (and also on the forums at various points).

Now that this game is in marketing, information about this game is now on two channels: backer and public. We are backers AND members of the public. There is no need for every single bit of marketing that comes through for the game to be fed through the backer channel first. We can get that information anywhere. The backer channel is for details that we're not going to find out anywhere else.

Nowhere in the kickstarter campaign did it say we would be entitled to access to marketing materials before the rest of the public. Only that we would have access to backer documentaries, forum posts, and the beta. That's what we're getting.

We're coming up on the next episode of the documentary so we figured we'd just do it all in one big update. Going forward we'll be more careful about how we manage updates for information like this.

We're coming up on the next episode of the documentary so we figured we'd just do it all in one big update. Going forward we'll be more careful about how we manage updates for information like this.

Chris,

this is nice to hear!!!! Maybe you can leave a message in the Kickstarter comments too because there is a similar discussion going on.

The amount of false entitlement in this thread is ridiculous.

I gave you $50! Why hasn't Tim Schafer personally left a thank message on my voice mail?! This is outrageous! What the heck??????

Sign in to follow this