Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Week of Double Fine on Gametrailers (Full Set!)

Ha! I *knew* Chris wrote that site! He called the variable where they're going to put the screenshot thumbnails "idleThumbs"!

It's the little things.

Also, you know how you can tell a good game title?

When you google for it and *every single result for eight pages is about your game*.

Edit: Might wanna tell Chris there's a bug on the site! When you click any close button, it fades out the element but doesn't remove it. This means when you close the pre-order section, invisible paypal links are still sitting there in the background, lying in wait to be accidentally clicked. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's worth knowing about.

You're right! Crap! I fixed it!

I love how when the Game Informer guy walks into the DF offices he's already mic'd.

-Part 1 of the mini-series has the BEST CUT IN THE HISTORY OF FILMMAKING EVER.

Tim: "Then they send a different person into review it, who's like a total dick. Especially at Gameinformer." [cuts to game informer dude] "Yeah definately."

-Closest i've ever come to rofling.

Can't wait for brokerage game.

BROKERAGE: A Wall Street point-and-click adventure

-Part 1 of the mini-series has the BEST CUT IN THE HISTORY OF FILMMAKING EVER.

Tim: "Then they send a different person into review it, who's like a total dick. Especially at Gameinformer." [cuts to game informer dude] "Yeah definately."

-Closest i've ever come to rofling.

Yeah, that part had me busting up laughing. Haha.

The site has some placeholder code for a trailer which is not out yet (all of this marketing probably builds up to this), but perhaps the website should also link to Gametrailer's videos?

Hmm, hmmm, hmmmmmm

If the shown material is in some way representative for the rest of the game and the style and the characters come close to what you normally associate with such a look then i hope it's not too childlike for my personal taste. Especially the cloud scene looks like it could be from the Sesame Street, if it is a game Schafer made for his child or as a love letter to Amanita Design. I really enjoyed their games but these aren't the only type of adventure games i want to play.

The real stuff for me would be more playing in a more grown up Grim Fandango direction (or on a Lapinot niveau) and i known that deep inside me a little voice will also compare those games regarding their quality. You can't hear the conversation properly and maybe this is such a type of game. You know, grown up story line, interesting (and some mean weird) characters with grown up personalities resting in those cute bodies, ... actually it would rock if you combine such a beautiful look with a more grown up game. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. It's okay to play more child like adventures from time to time as well but not solely.

I also hope that the game will be long and challenging. I haven't played an interesting and challenging point&click; adventure for quite some time.

When the dude from game informer was looking at the game, i somehow was expecting bubbles popping up above his head, expressing his thoughts.

Anyway what made me smile was the inventory. After many games with crippled inventories this one got me excited. I hope that you have to use it a lot and can combine stuff as well. Saying so i loved the inventory in The Dig.

http://img3.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/inv3pnk9igytj.png

A big Hurray for inventories!

Is that JP LeBreton doing one of the temp voices? Would be great to have an optional audio track in the final game, and hear Allison and JP in some parts of the game :). Or maybe in the beta?

If the shown material is in some way representative for the rest of the game and the style and the characters come close to what you normally associate with such a look then i hope it's not too childlike for my personal taste.

Let’s not jump to conclusions too fast here. A story about a boy and a girl coming to age complete with space suits and monsters that are going to eat ya, sounds like a European Saturday morning cartoon, complete with fuzzy feelings and a moral point about friendship and some other insipid lovey-dovey idealism at the end.

But! I learned a long time ago not to judge a book by it’s cover, any concept can be given depth and maturity if handled correctly, I’d also like to give Tim the benefit of the doubt here, because most backers expected Monkey Island 2.1 with this project than My Little Pony, and I’d like to think he’s fully aware of that.

On the art side, given his past work Bagel has shown to be capable of some very surrealistic locales and darker themes, which if they are in the game we haven’t seen yet, so we shouldn’t let the first few bright spots delude us into thinking we’re going through a Children’s coloring book.

I’d also like to praise what is seen of the UI in that video, I was worried it was going to be jeopardized for the handheld releases, but it looks like they got it covered, would be nice to have seen more of it earlier but…

But one thing.

Why in gods forsaken name you got a guy from Game Informer of all the media outlets out there to get the exclusive look?

First of all it’s a Magazine, second of all they in cahoots* with Gamestop** (read: owned by them) third of all they are clueless, as the man they send to your offices so easily conveys, forth and most important of all, they are very American centric, and as DF should know by now by the large diversity among their backers Adventure games have a very wide international appeal.

I hope they paid premium for the honor.

*I really like the word cahoots!

**Gamestop is a retail outlet; as such its magazine will not try to promote something that will not end up being sold in one of their shops, as of this time this game is not set for a general retail release.

Hey, i can jump real far and high and ... nope, be assured i know how to value such a sneak but i just felt after expressing my thoughts, hopes and fears without applying a filter regarding a new adventure game from Schafer since about 15 years, wow, fifteen years. Psychonauts, in comparison, regarding the relesae date still feels young and fresh.

Hey, i can jump real far and high and ... nope, be assured i know how to value such a sneak but i just felt after expressing my thoughts, hopes and fears without applying a filter regarding a new adventure game from Schafer since about 15 years, wow, fifteen years. Psychonauts, in comparison, regarding the relesae date still feels young and fresh.

I didn’t want to put you personally on the spot, since I got the same impressions as well; my post was directed to you as much as it was directed to my self.

Whether we like it or not, we will compare this game to past Tim Schafer adventures, personally I don’t expect it to measure up. Not because by it self will be lacking in quality, but because it can’t compete with the nostalgia his past games hold. And the weary experienced eyes that are going to look upon this game, compared to the young eyes full of wonder that looked on his adventures in the 90’s.

Where I am mostly concerned is how it will compare to its contemporaries, and most particularly to the Kickstarter adventures that followed it, which by the looks of things are set to be released before it.

It may just be me seeing the world with a different viewpoint, but doesn't it seem like there's been an upsurge in interest in adventure games in general since Tim announced that they wanted to make a new one?

As I said, it could just be I'm more aware of people's interest in making games in this genre, but I really hope this is actually a sign that we're entering a new age of adventure games.

@Arenegeth

I understand what you're saying but i kind of disagree because, at least based on my experiences, i still can get excited by adventures, old and new ones. I also know that certain adventures, or to be more precise a large percentage games generally, age a lot better in our memories than they do in reality. Still, there do exist a few old adventures which you can play without any regrets also today and they are great because they have a certain kind of quality/uniqueness/charme/focus which you somehow still can't find in most productions released within the last years.

A truley great adventure has every chance it needs but it also must be truly great and not just okayish, nice or somehow good like most of the better adventures are these days. It's also not enough if it's the best adventure you can get right now because other genres improved a lot offering more convincing experiences and your gaming time got less due to other activities and having less time for gaming than when you were a child too. So, the competition got harder, you evolved as a person and it must be worth your time. Therefore i wouldn't be concerned about most of the other Kickstarter adventure projects.

Coming back to Schafer's work, i can enjoy where Grim Fandango shines, like the story, the setting, the music, the voice acting, the characters, the dialogues, the style, the name ;O) but this won't stop me from recognising that the steering is awful, the inventory isn't effective, that some of the riddles weren't this great, the bugs&glitches; the game had and so on. Every game has its own pros and cons but a few of the older ones deliver on certain aspects on such a convincing level that most of todays adventures still look pretty boring in comparison.

And beside of TTG driving zigzags and trying out this and that, Amanita Design doing their own thing, a really tiny amount of german adventures, Quantic Dream coming from a different direction and a few interesting Indie productions i haven't seen a lot of progress amongst more traditional (point&click;) adventures.

The site has some placeholder code for a trailer which is not out yet (all of this marketing probably builds up to this), but perhaps the website should also link to Gametrailer's videos?
Well the OP said Tim was going to debut the trailer at the GDC awards tomorrow, so yeah.

@jonathanfrisby

In my opinion all these adventures had their specific problems, plus at least Primordia was released only more recently. The best probably was Resonance. It was exciting in the beginning, in the middle things went more meh but it got stronger again at the end. Nonetheless it had several design issues. You could get inspired here and there but as a reference in a whole it just wasn't strong enough. The game certainly would benefit from higher res gfx though. Anyway, i'm fine with the decision that Amaninta Design with Machinarium made one of the best, if not the best, adventure more recently. But hopefully DFA will be longer and more challenging. Personally i also like the Dream Machine (except chapter three) and despite that it suffers from its own issues, it has a very personal and unique flavour.

In the end and no matter if Tim Schafer oriented himself at Machinarium or not, i think/hope/am convinced/would tickle him until he agrees that he would have been strong enough making his own adventure based on the work he did so far.

As for LucasArts vs. Sierra, i never experienced this being a war, at least a fair one, as LucasArts obviously was so far ahead. If you own a lightsaber it's rather dishonorable to fight against someone which has just a notched scimitar but then again aren't we pirates? Arrr!

This progress is magical. Broken Age is a superb name for what already looks like a beatiful game.

I can't wait to laugh my way through it. It gives me a warm feeling in my belly.

Also, Tim looks great.

It's weird seeing these videos, which I'd guess were filmed/edited by 2PP, being used for marketing... Are they being paid from a separate checking account for their marketing work vs. their up-front documentary budget?... I guess it's a "we're all in the same boat" scenario, but I can't imagine trying to reconcile and allocate expenses for this. Seems like the "it takes time to edit stuff" issues seem to magically go away when there's a legit marketing deadline, eh?
Mon-Tues and Thur-Friday we'll be releasing short 4 min video chunks that kind of make up episode 9.
Sounds like they're just cutting chunks out of stuff they already edited together for Episode 9. That wouldn't take too much work actually.

It's weird seeing these videos, which I'd guess were filmed/edited by 2PP, being used for marketing... Are they being paid from a separate checking account for their marketing work vs. their up-front documentary budget?... I guess it's a "we're all in the same boat" scenario, but I can't imagine trying to reconcile and allocate expenses for this. Seems like the "it takes time to edit stuff" issues seem to magically go away when there's a legit marketing deadline, eh?

I'm not sure how the specific line items or hours are billed in the budget, but marketing expense is always going to be part of any game project, at least one made at a studio. However, in this case, the overwhelming majority of time and effort spent by 2PP has been on the documentary for backers; these releases occupy marginal resources relative to the main documentary releases.

When I saw the image I wondered why the hands are not mirror to each other. Now I see that in the earlier version the hands were in fact a mirror image so, just interesting to see.

Oh, and these short videos are great, especially to spark the interest of those who chose not to back the project. A fine job.

It may just be me seeing the world with a different viewpoint, but doesn't it seem like there's been an upsurge in interest in adventure games in general since Tim announced that they wanted to make a new one?

As I said, it could just be I'm more aware of people's interest in making games in this genre, but I really hope this is actually a sign that we're entering a new age of adventure games.

I'd say it's more likely that people are just more aware of them, they never went away.

Hell, it's all Telltale's ever made, they just get more notice now. (for a variety of reasons).

Although nothing beats a full episode, these daily Small Offerings are great!

I got a year of shit from Tim about the name "Stacking".

:-) Funny that Lee now got his revenge, as he came up with "Broken Age" as a title for Tim's game.

I'm not sure how the specific line items or hours are billed in the budget, but marketing expense is always going to be part of any game project, at least one made at a studio. However, in this case, the overwhelming majority of time and effort spent by 2PP has been on the documentary for backers; these releases occupy marginal resources relative to the main documentary releases.

The GT releases are more hurried than what we would do for the series since we had to move the timetable up. Stuff we're shooting Wednesday night will be in the Friday release too. All these chunks do go towards getting episode 9 together, although we'll add more content and flush the individual threads out more. It's extra work now but it's all going towards the goal.

I love 2pp's work and really hope to see more "behind the scenes" documentaries from you guys. I think it's something that's a) still very mysterious and b) very interesting.

Hi people from 2P and Double fine,

You have said that today Tim will launch the first trailer for the Brogen Age game, during the GDC. But can you reveal also the time this event will take place? Also, will it become available, at the same time, to the site as well?

Sign in to follow this