Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rubyhope

Broken age on the PSVITA?

Hello,

Question for the folks at Double Fine. Have you guys thought about releasing Broken Age on the vita? I think it be extremely awesome to be able to play Broken Age on the handheld.

Right now we have no plans to release the game on the Vita unfortunately. Apart from the additional work to get the game to run on the hardware there is also the issue that Sony would charge us to certify the game before we were allowed to release it to the public.

Fortunately you will be able to play the game on handheld devices like the iPhone, iPad or equivalent Android devices. ;-)

You guys should look into it, Sony are trying to get as many Indie teams onto the Vita as possible and offering deals and help to many of them, just in the few weeks alone we have Hotline Miami, LIMBO, Machinarium, The Binding of Issac, talks of Fez coming to the device to, etc with Sony really wanting to do a push on this angle instead. I'm sure if you guys go and ask Sony and explain that you want to put your already well known game onto their device, they would literally jump at the chance to help you out!

You guys should look into it, Sony are trying to get as many Indie teams onto the Vita as possible and offering deals and help to many of them, just in the few weeks alone we have Hotline Miami, LIMBO, Machinarium, The Binding of Issac, talks of Fez coming to the device to, etc with Sony really wanting to do a push on this angle instead. I'm sure if you guys go and ask Sony and explain that you want to put your already well known game onto their device, they would literally jump at the chance to help you out!

Sony do seem to be veering towards a more open approach lately, and the Vita, while showing some signs of recovery lately, needs the help, so maybe it's at least worth an investigation. But either way, it costs money to do pretty much any sort of port (programmer time, configuring the art assets for the screen, optimization, testing) so it's probably not something they're going to consider while they're still looking for money just to get the game as good as it can be right now.

And to continue my point again, latest from GDC, now Terraria and Bit Trip 2 are on their way to the VITA to! Get in their quickly DoubleFine, I'm sure Sony would loan you a devkit free of charge until the game turns a profit, which from the sound of things, happens quite fast on the VITA (they're starving for games).

You do have a point but note that this game already supports a wide range of platforms. I doubt there's anyone who plays games and doesn't have at least one of those, probably many with even more than one.

So the question is, would you really like to spend development money on one more platform or improve the game further? Personally, I think more people will enjoy game improvement than just adding one more platform to the mix that only a portion of the players can enjoy.

You do have a point but note that this game already supports a wide range of platforms. I doubt there's anyone who plays games and doesn't have at least one of those, probably many with even more than one.

So the question is, would you really like to spend development money on one more platform or improve the game further? Personally, I think more people will enjoy game improvement than just adding one more platform to the mix that only a portion of the players can enjoy.

I agree with that. I would like to see them port it to VITA after it's released though. That seems to be what's happening with most of these other games anyway.

More platforms can only be a good thing, but I have to agree with everything that's been said already. Plus, like Leroy Octopus said, a later port might be on the table if Broken Age does well enough.

Considering how DF has limited resources and how the Vita is all but dead, I think putting it on the 3DS would make much more sense if they were going to port it to a handheld.

Considering how DF has limited resources and how the Vita is all but dead, I think putting it on the 3DS would make much more sense if they were going to port it to a handheld.

That would be awesome and they should put Psychonauts on the 3DS while they're at it. I agree with others saying that they definitely should prioritize launching it on the announced platforms first though.

Sign in to follow this