Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Petri

Which version of OS X willl Broken Age need on Mac?

Hello, a slacker backer here with a question.

I switched from Windows to OS X in 2008 and haven't really felt the need (although Civ V came close) to upgrade OS X from Leopard (10.5.8), but would I be correct in guessing that I need to upgrade it to be able to play Broken Age?

Thanks,

Petri

Hello, a slacker backer here with a question.

I switched from Windows to OS X in 2008 and haven't really felt the need (although Civ V came close) to upgrade OS X from Leopard (10.5.8), but would I be correct in guessing that I need to upgrade it to be able to play Broken Age?

Thanks,

Petri

As a long time Mac User I recommend to update anyway. Lion or Mountain Lion are so much smoother to operate with. But which version you can use should be determined from the performance your Mac has to offer. Snow Leopard and Lion was fine with my MacBook Pro Mid 2010. Of course I am now using Mountain Lion because I have now a MacBook Pro Retina Early 2013.

But which version (of OS X) you can use should be determined from the performance your Mac has to offer. Snow Leopard and Lion was fine with my MacBook Pro Mid 2010.

My iMac is 2008 24-inch 2.8GHz Dual Core with 4 GB of RAM and NVidia GF 8800 GS, and what I've read from various forums, it should run Mountain Lion as long as there's 4GB of RAM.

I would have to upgrade to Snow Leopard anyway, as Leopard can't be upgraded straight to Mountain Lion, you have to have Snow Leopard to access Mac Store from where you can get Mountain Lion.

Anyway, there's still time before Broken Age's release so I'll probably either upgrade OS X soon(ish) or buy a new iMac or MacBook (hopefully

not because my so far trouble-free Mac decides to die).

Petri

I stay on Snow Leopard because it runs like a dream. I repair a lot of issues on Lion/Mountain Lion macs for other people, and it doesn't seem like the most stable OS to me.

+1 for Snow Leopard.

For me it seems like the last vestige of decency before the downward spiral to appliance computing :)

That said, it's rapidly losing support even from independent developers, fingers crossed MOAI will support it come release time

Snow Leopard here too :)

I had to tweak the Deponias Mac runtimes, as the Visionaire Engine binary runs perfectly on Snow Leopard, but the app is marked as min SO = lion :/

Mountain Lion doesn't run less stable than Snow Leopard to me. Some features are real enhancements, others are just gimmicks (which you don't have to use if you don't want to). The biggest benefit games related might be the step from OpenGL 2.1 to 3.2. Maybe Apple's awesome and up to date OpenGL support will be able to introduce OpenGL 4.X in their next version, f.e. compute shaders aren't all this bad. Anyway, if your hardware is up to the task, your software is running fine on OS X 10.8 too and you're generally free to choose the os for your Mac, Mountain Lion isn't a bad choice.

Hi guys. Just to let you know we haven't made a final decision on this yet. Snow Leopard as a baseline sounds good unless we run into an issue which would make this difficult to achieve.

I Use Mountain Lion on a 2011 iMac i5 quad 27" 12gb radeon 6770 512.

I will put a SSD on it to keep fast.

But i always use the latest system. Because is evolving, and i evolve!

And if a have more money, i will upgrade to the latest iMac, or even the announced new Mac Pro line to come...

Sign in to follow this