Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Broken Age First Teaser Trailer

Thanks for saving me the trouble of going through all that GDC stuff just to watch this.

One thing though, regarding the mood of the game, combined with the choice of music in the trailer it really doesn’t come of as ‘funny’ maybe that’s not the intent, but just saying that we all expected comedy from a Tim Schafer game, I hope we’ll find some in the final game.

I'm always surprised when I hear the sentiment that Tim Schafer games are supposed to be pure comedy. None of his games have ever been close to that. Grim, Full Throttle, Pyschonauts are all a blend of drama, comedy, and some action. If you made a trailer for any of those games it would not come across as funny either. I think the best entertainment isn't constrained by one genre or convention. The best shows, movies, books contain all these without the exclusion of the other and games should be no different.

I don't think the atmosphere and music in Full Throttle and Grim Fandango would be considered super funny either, but there was plenty of humor in those games!

I'm surprised at all the complaining going on, especially regarding the art. Teaser was incredible.

So far it's just me;-)

It will be interesting to see what the rest of the world thinks:-)

We have already paid;-)

One thing though, regarding the mood of the game, combined with the choice of music in the trailer it really doesn’t come of as ‘funny’ maybe that’s not the intent, but just saying that we all expected comedy from a Tim Schafer game, I hope we’ll find some in the final game.
If you don't think the image of a teenage boy dejectedly sitting in a toy train that is clearly way too small for him is funny, then you need to get your funny bone checked.

Funny? Heck that scene conveyed sadness; the boy seemed miserable and uncomfortable, what’s so funny about that?

I think the joke is more that the ship is still treating him like a little kid even though he's grown out of this stuff. Kind of an overprotective mother thing. Plus Psychonauts had a running gag about two characters trying to poison themselves. Did you not think that was funny?

Now don’t gang up on me! I just made an observation jeez don’t shoot the messenger!

Seriously though, the choice of music was probably the most important ingredient for the impression.

PS: In Psychonauts I found the suicide duo very dark and I actually liked it because of that, I also liked The Milk Man Conspiracy because of the dark undertone of his dementia.

I don't think the atmosphere and music in Full Throttle and Grim Fandango would be considered super funny either, but there was plenty of humor in those games!

That's exactly what I was going to bring up. DOTT was pretty much the only Tim Schafer game that was just pure humor. The rest of his games balance humor with an emotional core and developed characters.

Outside of tiny snippets in the documentary, we've seen no dialogue yet (and I'd bet that the reason it isn't in the reveal trailer is because the final VA work hasn't been done yet, so the alternative would have either been temporary voice acting by DF employees or no voice acting at all, both of which could give off the wrong impression) and I'm pretty convinced that concerns about the game being too serious will go away once we get a better idea of the two main characters' personalities and see them interacting with NPCs.

Fantastic teaser. It looks like things are shaping up incredibly well as far as I'm concerned. One of the things I loved most about it was the tone. I may be in the minority here (or anywhere) but the reason Grim Fandango is my favourite game ever is not because of the comedy. It was funny as hell in parts, but Grim touched on serious themes and had more memorable and believable characters because of its serious moments. If this had been nothing but jokes and slapstick, I would have been really disappointed. It would have been out of character for Tim, and for Double Fine. All of their games have heart, that's why I love them.

Also, the 90,000 friends part totally hit me square in the feels.

As for the tweening animation, I'm not the hugest fan of it in general, but I understand the logistical reasons that necessitate it, and I have confidence that it won't hinder DF in creating wonderfully expressive characters. Basically, I personally don't think it'll get in the way of me enjoying the game, but I can see why it might be a bigger issue for some. Maybe if DF could include a lower frame-rate option to take a bit of the smoothness out of the motion, that'd improve some people's experiences? It seems counter-intuitive, but I think one of the reasons some people really hate that style is because of the disparity between the smoothness of the tweened animation and the relative jerkiness of the flip-book elements. I'm not sure if this would be technically feasible, I'm just throwing it out there as a possible solution.

hmm. I like the music. The artwork/animation is interesting. I don't think it looks better than Sam & Max: Hit the Road or Day of the Tentacle, which was 20 years ago. So its kind of strange, but Double Fine also had their limitations having to build an engine with a limited budget.

Winner!

Looks absolutely stunning and sounds fantastic too. This will surely generate alot of buzz also outside the circle of 90.000 close friends. :-)

hmm. I like the music. The artwork/animation is interesting. I don't think it looks better than Sam & Max: Hit the Road or Day of the Tentacle, which was 20 years ago. So its kind of strange, but Double Fine also had their limitations having to build an engine with a limited budget.

The style is very different to both of those so it's hard to compare. The older games look very digital to me especially these days where as Broken Age looks more analogue, more natural albeit natural to Bagel's art style.

I got a little emotional on the end with the 90000 friends. I feel like somehow I helped a game being made. And from Double fine!

I got a little emotional on the end with the 90000 friends. I feel like somehow I helped a game being made. And from Double fine!

Same here. The 90000 closest friends is somehow very touching.

The very interesting thing that adventure games can do is showcase moving paintings. Not in the sense of full animation, but a coherent room structure, with the type of subtle movements that allow you to enjoy the art at your own pace, and appreciate it before it disappears into the next cutscene.

It looks really, really good, much better than the static art even.

Excellent.

I don't really have a lot else to say.

Perhaps this: Regarding helping kickstart this, I REGRET NOTHING.

Update after update, it is all the more clear that my confidence in the Double Fine team has not been misplaced.

Well, perhaps they could have named it "Death Fight: Monster Girl vs Spaceboy" like I suggested; but you can't have everything.

Its also bagles style drawing humans and this game is made on his art style.

Bagel doesn't make his paintings out of cut out segments that he pastes together, so no, the "puppet animation" thing has nothing to do with that. It was really more just that they thought that would be a better way to get the game done withing their budget while still having a lot of custom animations.

I'm not even saying it wasn't the best decision for the game, I'm just saying that it's one that was made, at least in part, for pragmatic reasons rather than artistic, and if there was an unlimited budget, I think drawing frames from scratch would look better.

Sign in to follow this