Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Broken Age First Teaser Trailer

Also, I'm looking at some of the comments in here.

Will you stop being typical gamer geeks? Please? Can't you just like something wholeheardtdly for once? It's like some of you don't actually know how to NOT be negative with your positivity!

We are getting a crazy, awesome game, that is coming together and will be as epic as anything ever.

Just enjoy it already damn it!

CINNAMOONS!

I think it's interesting to see how critical the backers are! Not interesting in a bad or good way... but if we were just presented with a finished product all at once, instead of watching the game being made from day one, we might tend to accept it and admire it for what it is instead of asking why all the design/music/whatever choices were made. I think that we all probably, sometimes secretly, have very specific expectations because each and every one of use wants to feel like it's "our" game (and it sort of is!) But we are all so different! So don't be bummed that it doesn't look just the way you wanted, or that you didn't get to name it your favorite name. It's still a Double Fine game, and a lot of sweet people are workin' hard on it. It's amazing that it's being made, is all I think!

That said, I love it... it really doesn't look like any other game I've ever seen! And I want the game NOW. So glad to be in da seekerit dubblefein club.

I probably watched it five more times in the meantime. This will be really something special. :)

Its also bagles style drawing humans and this game is made on his art style.

Bagel doesn't make his paintings out of cut out segments that he pastes together, so no, the "puppet animation" thing has nothing to do with that. It was really more just that they thought that would be a better way to get the game done withing their budget while still having a lot of custom animations.

I'm not even saying it wasn't the best decision for the game, I'm just saying that it's one that was made, at least in part, for pragmatic reasons rather than artistic, and if there was an unlimited budget, I think drawing frames from scratch would look better.

I liked the look of the animations in the trailers so I have no complaint about it. Think it really fits.

Don't get me wrong. I really like how it's looking too. But someone asked about why it's like that, and I think the reasons are production-related rather than artistic. Also possibly technical (a lot of sprite animation could be tough with the limited memory on the mobile side).

I watched the trailer like 5 times, and I'm super excited for the game. The art is great. Although Tim's writing is the real attraction for me.

I'm pretty sure that Greg said in the chatroom for the DF Game Club (ages ago, back when Greg was still hosting it) that this sort of animation is being used because they just don't have the kind of resources that traditional frame-by-frame animation would require. Double Fine would need more animators and a bigger budget for something like that.

I'm pretty sure that Greg said in the chatroom for the DF Game Club (ages ago, back when Greg was still hosting it) that this sort of animation is being used because they just don't have the kind of resources that traditional frame-by-frame animation would require. Double Fine would need more animators and a bigger budget for something like that.

Also remember the traditional animation needed far less frames then modern animations do so the work load would have increased insanely compared to back then.

Ok, I'm not a frequent poster here, and I see some fellow backers felt the same, but I need to say it too. The 90.000 closest friends line was completely unexpected and profoundly moving. Like, tear-inducing moving, actually. This gesture from you guys speaks very loudly.

Other than that, I was kind of expecting a more humorous vibe (not hoping, expecting), and now I'm praying for the deep sensitivities to shine strong throughout the completed game.

Whether that's the case or not, this journey has been much more compelling than I'd hoped it'd be, and I'm very grateful.

Cheers,

Juan Miguel

Wow, I gotta say I'm impressed.

I love the art, the music, the everything!

And that '90,000 closest friends' was really touching for some reason...

THANKS DOUBLE FINE! :D

I got a little emotional on the end with the 90000 friends. I feel like somehow I helped a game being made. And from Double fine!

Same here. The 90000 closest friends is somehow very touching.

Wow and Ditto. I know I'm seriously touched by calling me out as a closest friend of Double Fine. Thanks.

It does feel like we've been there with you through the episodes and Amnesia Fortnight. However, I always had a barrier there - kinda like looking through a window at the kids in the candy shop and wishing I could be there. Calling me (and 90,000 other people) out as a closest friend of double fine was like inviting me in the shop to be with the rest of you. Thanks again.

I have to say i'm not exactly a huge fan of the bagel-style artwork either. I dont wanna appear like a negative dude cause I think the whole game idea is excellent and i'm sure that it will be funny playing it. Nevertheless i'm still a bit disappointed - mainly with the puppet-style art (as ive been before btw...Stacking for example) - i dont know..it kinda seems like the target-group is younger people with that style. Its beautiful art for sure but in an adventure game....im curious if it will work well enough.

I totally understand everything about the budget, time limitations and resource limitations - and still support every adventure game made by DoubleFine or others. I'm just worried that this DFA won't become the succes that it needs to be (remember, they said in episode 8 that DFA would decide DoubleFines future. But hey...its only my little opinion, hope i'm proven wrong :)

Great trailer !

Now some questions:

- What is the scheduled release date now ? Is there any ?

- Will there be an easy way for us to download promotional media (such as this trailer) when the game is released ? There will be a way to download the 2PP stuff but what about these ones ?

Thanks,

Seb

Woohoo!

I'm a little bit surprised to see here people asking about the animation style, maybe it's because it's the first time we see it in a complete video and 'making-of' video, anyway I think it's well done.

The trailer does convey some darkness, especially since we see how unhappy the characters are, is there a reason you chose this? I would have guessed the trailer would be more about their "adventures", so just curious why this direction.

On the lighter side, is the music the first time we hear something from the in-game music?

Hello, I'm here the first time since I backed the project on KickStarter.

Nice to see things coming around. Too bad that I can't stand this art style. Thinking of looking at this hours upon hours makes me shiver. But that is my personal issue thou. ;-)

Best wishes,

Thomas

Absolutely gorgeous! The whole team should be very proud.

Edit: oh, and regarding the art style: that's what makes the game so special! I've never seen anything like it so far.

Wow. The trailer looked really good. I had my doubts about the art style and how it would work in motion, but this trailer really put my fears to rest. It looks very good and is so different from anything else out there! Can't wait to see more!

Absolutely gorgeous! The whole team should be very proud.

Edit: oh, and regarding the art style: that's what makes the game so special! I've never seen anything like it so far.

Totally agree with you. The team should be proud indeed!

And I don't want to say, that the art style is bad. It's just that it somehow creates bad and uncomfortable feelings in me. I can't even say what it is exactly.

So I really don't want to rant or or blame anyone!

Best wishes,

Thomas

I didn't expect it to be so touching actually, all the athmosphere is very delicate.

The mood is like: this is gonna be a little precious thing!

Bravo! BRAVO!

now we want more!xD

I was initially apathetic to the art style from the documentaries but seeing this now, I'm a convert. And I'm glad to see that the boy and the girl are teenagers, and not typical little brats. :D

This is everything I could possibly wish it to be. I love it. And the friends part was really nice. Thanks for doing such a great job Reds team!

I liked it, a bit confusing due to all the dream sequences, nice music too. It was a wise decision to go with a more modern animation system. What i especially like about the game is that it allows you to play in a painted art style. Usually the wide gap between cover art and the in game graphics is always kind of disillusioning. This was great in the early days of video games with f.e. the VCS 2600 covers but it got a lot less cool within the last years.

People shouldn't be surprised that there will always be whining about elements of a game no matter what you give them. It's just impossible to satisfy everybody. That said I'm sure a lot of people that feel disappointed now will definitely have a change of heart as more is revealed or when they play the whole game. For example, I'm pretty sure there was a lot of whining about Grim Fandango before it was released. Like, I hate the 3D characters, I hate the prerendered backgrounds, I hate the dark atmosphere etc. But now we all know how that game turned out...

Personally I'm really happy that it's not a full on comedic adventure (never expected it to be anyway, based on Tim's early description of the game). No one should have any doubts that there WILL be comedy in it, though. I wonder why wouldn't anyone want a game like grim fandango that combined great humor with emotional impact?

As far as the trailer goes, I admit I never was particularly excited about the art style, It seemed to me like it lacked detail. I did appreciate it for what it was though, unique and original. After watching the trailer and seeing it all come to life with sound and animation it seems that this game might actually exceed my expectations. And I must say that the music is maybe my favorite thing about the trailer.

The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain. This is a Vimeo Plus feature. :long:

Sign in to follow this