Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Broken Age First Teaser Trailer

Personally I'm really happy that it's not a full on comedic adventure (never expected it to be anyway, based on Tim's early description of the game). No one should have any doubts that there WILL be comedy in it, though. I wonder why wouldn't anyone want a game like grim fandango that combined great humor with emotional impact?

Quite - when has Tim Schafer ever made a game since DOTT which has been a full-on, no-holds-barred comedy? Certainly not Full Throttle. Not Grim Fandango. Not even Psychonauts or Brutal Legend.

All of those games are funny to a greater or lesser extent, but mainly they're just great worlds to explore, full of cool characters and a sense of other-worldliness. There's no reason to doubt there'll be humour, not least because we've seen the humour referred to at several points already in the documentary footage (remember Greg talking about how funny the boy's section is? Remember the preview guy laughing at one of the jokes in the cloud colony? Tim talking about how he's thinking about how to find the humour in the girl's story?

S'just a teaser you know. Grim Fandango's trailer wasn't any funnier.

The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain. This is a Vimeo Plus feature. :long:

Personally I'm really happy that it's not a full on comedic adventure (never expected it to be anyway, based on Tim's early description of the game). No one should have any doubts that there WILL be comedy in it, though. I wonder why wouldn't anyone want a game like grim fandango that combined great humor with emotional impact?
This. Tim's games (and many other comedies) have a 'serious' but light story, with lots of jokes rather than the story itself being absurd or a joke. Consider the early Simpsons (which I am in the minority in not liking all that much), the most loved episodes have serious plots, they just add jokes to those plots.

The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain. This is a Vimeo Plus feature. :long:

Browser settings must allow referrer code.

Unique, beautiful, touching and intriguing. I'm very impressed.

I felt I'd gotten a solid return on my backer investment by about the third video and the rest has been a glorious bonus. Bit perplexed by some of the comments here but anyhow, now I'm truly getting excited.

Double Fine, you're a class act.

@DF Burger

Now as you name it, personally i am concerned and very sceptical when it comes to Tim Schafer's sense of humour.

I mean he already lost his beard, it appears he lost some weight as well, he even lost Ron Gilbert (no idea how this could happen). The Kickstarter trailer wasn't funny at all. See, these are all facts you can't just ignore. Sadly it's just reasonable coming to the conclusion that he lost his sense of humour as well. I'm sorry to say but i have a bad feeling regarding the game, a really bad one.

It's kind of silly to read about people worried this game wont be funny. Really? REEEEAAAALLLY.

Guys. Tim Schafer! Come on.

Guys.

Tim Schafer.

Someone with some sense! Finally! :)

Thanks for the reassurance.

Gorgeous. I couldn't be happier with where this game is headed. It checks every box I'd hoped for. I love the tone. To simply be funny is one thing, but humor when there is heart and poignancy as well can be really special and elevating. I hold grim in such high regard because it moved me.

It's kind of silly to read about people worried this game wont be funny. Really? REEEEAAAALLLY.

Guys. Tim Schafer! Come on.

Guys.

Tim Schafer.

Oh, it's Tim Schafer, I thought they placed that new young beardless guy on the project

Even though that other guy seems funny too. :)

Its weird the juxtaposition of this trailer and the MGS5 reveal trailer show just a few hours before hand.

@DF Burger

Now as you name it, personally i am concerned and very sceptical when it comes to Tim Schafer's sense of humour.

I mean he already lost his beard, it appears he lost some weight as well, he even lost Ron Gilbert (no idea how this could happen). The Kickstarter trailer wasn't funny at all. See, these are all facts you can't just ignore. Sadly it's just reasonable coming to the conclusion that he lost his sense of humour as well. I'm sorry to say but i have a bad feeling regarding the game, a really bad one.

Well sorry for you but I think you lost your sense of humor and if you so don't like it just stop following it then you cant be disappointed anymore.

Beautiful! Loving the art style and the music.

Seeing the art reminded me of the brief visit to the Land of the Living in Grim Fandango – the cut-and-paste style of that scene was so great I wished we could've spent more time there. Bold choices, thumbs up to Tim and the team!

I read comments on twitter, swedish forums, NeoGAF, Polygon, Adventuregamers, Eurogamer, RockPaperShotgun and more. 95% of those comments are very very positive about this trailer. Congrats to the team for a very good first showing of the game. I honestly thought the artstyle would mean more divided opinions, but it's almost only praise wherever I look.

I myself like it more for each time I watch it.

Awesome guys, I really love it! You're doing an incredible job and it's great to be part of this! :D

Have watched the trailer a couple of times more now - and I'm actually more excited by it everytime i watch it. I like the painting-like art backgrounds a lot and i actually like the look of the girl and the boy too. My only fear right now is the other characters of the game...they seem too doll-like to me (the way they move/animate in the trailer). And im not worried at all about the humour in the game - im sure there'll be lots of it as we know it from Tim :)

I would almost say that the scene with the sacrifice girls, with their messages on their dresses is quite disturbing. I like that it isn't just lighthearted all the way. Really great work guys looking forward to it.

Also, guys, speaking of humour... look at that shot of space boy in space. Didn't you think the ridiculous space suit was pretty funny? The Momship has wrapped him up warm in several layers, with a *scarf* to go into space. I thought that was great!

Why is my cheek wet?! Oh, there's a tear running down it! Seriously, that was a beautiful teaser trailer, and my heart fluttered reading the words "90,000 of our closest friends". Who cut onions in my office, and why do I FEEL THINGS?!

I am seriously stoked about this project, more now than ever during the production thus far. This trailer is totally selling the dream, the dream of producing a AAA title without the annoying creative direction imposed upon it from a money-grubbing publisher. I want to shout from the rooftops, "I funded this project, and look how damn amazing it is!"

Sometimes it feels good to be a [del]gangsta[/del] backer.

Yep, the "90,000 of our closest friends" was a cute statement. The shaking also demonstrated the fragile and dynamic nature of this relationship, like choosing the wrong name and *boom* it explodes into thousands of pieces.

I had to laugh when i saw how the second girl from the left was jumping up&down;, awaiting the arrival of the, let's call it, tentacle brain. Actually there were a number of really nice animations in there, like the dense&dirty; smoke of the train's smoke pipe (beside of the animation path i like how it turns from dark to white), how the boy was breathing whilst lying in his bed, the expressions in their faces, ... i'm sure due the animation system and Bagel's style it will feel very yummy to interact and watching the scenes.

Sign in to follow this