Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
geoffpaulsen

Blank Screen after about 20-30 minutes of playing.

I'm running into some issue that only seems to happen when I play the Cave for 20-30 minutes. Other intensive 3D games don't have this issue.

On my windows 7 64bit machine with Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT, I am playing the game in Full Screen mode and then get to a point where my monitor reports no-input signal. The weird thing is that I have duel screens and the 2nd screen also reports no-input at the same time. As if the video card has crashed or something. I continue to hear sound effects from The Cave after this point, but cntl-alt-del does NOT reboot my machine. I need to hold in the power button.

I thought it might be various power-settings, so I've turned off all of the various power settings I could find, for my CPU, for my Video card, for my hard drive, for the OS. None of them seem to help.

I tried unplugging video cables and replugging them in for my monitor to "autodetect" the new cable, but nothing. It really seems like the video card is not outputing any signal.

I checked my thermal sensors and everything seems to be in the green, and nothing feels very hot.

I tried setting up the screen.dat like mentioned in the FAQ, but that did not help either.

This is especially frustrating since after my cold-boot I find that The Cave hasn't saved my progress in quite a while, and there is no "Save and continue" option in TheCave.

So I downloaded nvidia's new "geforce experience", which informed me that my drivers were version 311, and the newest was 314.22. So I upgraded to 314.22 and I haven't yet seen the issue again. I need to play more to really convince myself that it's gone, but so far so good. I didn't read anything specific to Geforce 9600 in the 314.22 Driver release note that suggests that something was fixed in the driver, but time will tell.

Well, drat. I left the game running and I went to run some errands. when I got back about 3 hours later, it was in that bad state again.

I checked my event logs in windows 7, and nothing even looks suspect.

Is there a verbose or debug nvidia driver that I could turn on or run?

Sign in to follow this