Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Peristarkawan

Xbox 360 Wireless controller not working in Windows

I'm trying to play in Big Picture mode using an Xbox 360 wireless controller in Windows 8. This controller works in Steam and in all my other Steam games (well, except for Psychonauts; it worked there the first time I tried and then never again).

It seems to sort of recognize the controller as a generic gamepad because I can configure the buttons in the settings and they show up as button 1, button 2, etc. But then when I try to press the same buttons in the actual game, nothing happens.

I saw the FAQ entry about non-working controllers, but I couldn't find either an "SDL_GamepadBind" setting in my config.vdf, or an SDLGamepad.config file in the game folder, so that didn't work out for me. I did manage to find the Data\Config\input.lua file, and I tried adding an entry for a controller named "Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)" which is how the controller seems to be named elsewhere on my system, but this also did not solve the problem.

Now I'm stumped. Please help!

Hi and sorry you are running into issues with the wireless xbox controller on The Cave. Which wireless adapter are you using? And just to be sure you checked the following location for the config.vdf: (I noticed the sticky info lists the location where the file would be on a mac. So I just wanted to make sure that you are looking in the correct place.)

\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config

Data\Config\input.lua would not work for what you are looking to do.

Right, I found the config.vdf but could not find any gamepad information in there. I've also tried rebooting, updating the controller driver (although it seemed to already be the most recent), verifying the integrity of the game cache, and manually running the redistributables (the Visual Studio 2010 redistributable complained that a more recent version was already installed and would not run; the others ran successfully). I have not tried disabling the antivirus software.

I know that we had some issues with some antivirus programs not working well on 7 with our games. But I dont think that windows defender should be an issue on windows 8 but it is definitely worth a shot.

Sign in to follow this