Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Frisbyjo

RIP Lucasarts :(

Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

Game Informer:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/03/disney-closes-game-publisher-lucasarts.aspx

Updates:

There is a nice post from Ron on Grumpygamer: "Goodbye Lucasfilm Games"

http://grumpygamer.com/4103820

Bill Tiller has started an online petition asking Steven Spielberg to buy the IPs from Disney:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/speilberg-should-buy-classic-lucas-arts-ips/

More sites re-reporting that one bit of news (but talking about the old games a lot): Huffington Post, Rock Paper Shotgun, Wired, USAToday, Techcrunch, Slashdot, Variety, Arstechnica, Reddit

Surely now there must be some way to optain some of the IP's right?.

Imagine if Double Fine could get their hands on Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion ip. Oh man oh man.

If i ever get my hands on enough money i will get these ip's for Double Fine. Would give anything to play a sequel to those games.

I find it very sad that we may never see the iconic Lucasarts logo again on a new game! That logo alone brings back so many great memories from my childhood.

LucasArts weren't the same anymore, but that company meant more for me then Nintendo and SEGA combined when it comes to classic gaming memories.

But Double Fine means more to me then what todays LucasArts does.

The LucasArts we loved may have been long gone, but it's still very sad to see them get shut down.

This Lucas Arts, the only thing it has to do with the old one is the name.

I mean i used to love Star Wars as a kid, but man has that cow been milked, i mean they milked it so much that even though the cow has been dead for 200 years and only the bones left, they are still milking it.

ill miss you lucasarts. lucasarts meant soo much to me as a kid and has been pretty much my favorite gaming company ever for their run from 1989 to 1998.

LucasArts has been sad for a long time. It has been tough to see them go from such greatness to the mediocre state they were in before this. I hope that some of the talent will be absorbed into other developers, hopefully resurrecting some of the old games and making them great again. Ultimately, I think this will be a good thing for almost everyone, including those who were laid-off today.

First off, my condolences to all those who lost their jobs due to this decision. May you talented people find new work soon, and best of luck.

I had a feeling Disney wasn't going to do anything with the LucasArts IP's to begin with, and now that they're officially closed, maybe Ron and Tim can have their respective IP's back? I'm not well-versed in who owns what, so Ron and Telltale may have to negotiate over Monkey Island, but we'll see.

Not surprising. A sad thing to see LucasArts go, but hopefully this will make it easier for people like Ron, DoubleFine, Telltale or others to get rights to bring us more of the classics. I want new Loom, Maniac Mansion / Day of the Tentacle, and Monkey Island games!

First off, my condolences to all those who lost their jobs due to this decision. May you talented people find new work soon, and best of luck.

I had a feeling Disney wasn't going to do anything with the LucasArts IP's to begin with, and now that they're officially closed, maybe Ron and Tim can have their respective IP's back? I'm not well-versed in who owns what, so Ron and Telltale may have to negotiate over Monkey Island, but we'll see.

From what I understand, LucasArts isn't closing. They are just not developing games anymore. This probably means that they won't be selling off IP's, at least not all of them. Instead, they are going to license other studios to produce games using the IP. I hope they do decide to sell off some of their older properties like the adventure games, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

From what I understand, LucasArts isn't closing. They are just not developing games anymore. This probably means that they won't be selling off IP's, at least not all of them. Instead, they are going to license other studios to produce games using the IP. I hope they do decide to sell off some of their older properties like the adventure games, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

I see. I did hear a subsequent report in regards of Star Wars 1313, saying that fans can expect more Star Wars games from them, but nothing on other properties. I hope they do allow others to license out games for them based on other properties, it would be a shame to simply hold on to them, but not have anything planned.

I always saw people like Schafer, Gilbert and Grossman as the inheritors of George Lucas' vision and putting it into interactive forms.

DOTT and all of the other games stand tall alongside Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

I see. I did hear a subsequent report in regards of Star Wars 1313, saying that fans can expect more Star Wars games from them, but nothing on other properties. I hope they do allow others to license out games for them based on other properties, it would be a shame to simply hold on to them, but not have anything planned.

Ya, you know kinda like they have been doing for years now...

I just want my Grim Fandango back. Just re-release it in original form but working on modern computers, and I would be happy.

This saddens me greatly but at the same time it makes me happy as said earlier in this thread that now the IPs might go back into the wild. It also makes me happy as in recent memory a good chuck of Lucasarts games were awful. I just hope Tim and Ron can get back the rights to their work and even if nothing happens with it just to know they have their work back makes me happy.

Yeah, sad to see them go. Hopefully someone like Double Fine picks up the DoTT, Loom, Grim Fandango and Monkey Island franchises.

Hopefully someone competent picks up the X-Wing vs TIE fighter style Star Wars games and gets on a remake of that.

It will be interesting to see how Disney uses the IPs. If there is substantial profit to be made, they'll just shop them out to developers and continue to reap the dough/maintain creative control. (ie: Star Wars and Indiana Jones) If there is niche market interest in a few titles (ie: Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle) I could see them not wanting to waste time developing titles and just sell the IPs to the highest bidder. The real question for me is what they will do with Monkey Island. Do they perceive it as competition to their lucrative Pirates of the Caribbean? I fear them shelving it forever if they do.....

I don't know why so many people want DoubleFine to get Monkey Island and make a "TRUE BIG SEQUAL" out of it, Ron isn't even at DoubleFine anymore and no offense to Tim, but TellTale with Dave Grossman have proved they can at least handle the series, and with DoubleFine's take on doing smaller downloadable games I really do think a lot of people are deluding themselves into thinking DoubleFine would waste like 20 Million+ on doing a full new Monkey Island title.

By all means, it would be nice if they at least got Grim Fandango and Full Throttle back under their belts though!

I wonder if Tim still had friends over there...

This just brings home how old I am. Now Sierra and LucasArts are both gone.

To me this is like the life support plug has finally been pulled after a period in a coma which came after a fair few years of failing health.

I fell sorry for the people affected by this both in the jobs lost and the history but for the company nothing much will change as they've not been making games for ages anyway, with very few exceptions. The last internally developed LucasArts game I played was Escape from Monkey Island. Since then it's been licensed games and not very many really at that.

The best thing about this is that it may make the older licences more obtainable to interested developers.

This is kind of a sad day but not really at all. I hope Tim snatches up all the rights to the games he made (open up a fund I'll donate!) :D now that Brutal Legend is on Steam, how epic would Grim Fandango? :o

I don't know why so many people want DoubleFine to get Monkey Island and make a "TRUE BIG SEQUAL" out of it, Ron isn't even at DoubleFine anymore and no offense to Tim, but TellTale with Dave Grossman have proved they can at least handle the series, and with DoubleFine's take on doing smaller downloadable games I really do think a lot of people are deluding themselves into thinking DoubleFine would waste like 20 Million+ on doing a full new Monkey Island title.

By all means, it would be nice if they at least got Grim Fandango and Full Throttle back under their belts though!

Sadly I don't think we will get any Monkey Island from TellTale games any time soon. The Walking Dead has been so successful for them they cancelled another point and click game called Kings Quest to get working on season 2 of the Walking Dead game.

I do hope Tim can get some of the IP's from Disney. Even if he spends money just to aquire the IP's I will happily donate to kickstarter to fund it.

It could be possible to beat the amount for he got for Broken Age.

Sadly I don't think we will get any Monkey Island from TellTale games any time soon. The Walking Dead has been so successful for them they cancelled another point and click game called Kings Quest to get working on season 2 of the Walking Dead game.

I do hope Tim can get some of the IP's from Disney. Even if he spends money just to aquire the IP's I will happily donate to kickstarter to fund it.

It could be possible to beat the amount for he got for Broken Age.

After the walking dead I wouldn't expect any game from telltale anymore that has even close to something to do with point and click adventure game. Its going more and more to like indigo prophecy and stuff like that or like the old FMV games from the 90's. Almost no gameplay except selecting what path the story is going to take.

updated OP with link to Grumpygamer article, and link to Bill Tiller petition

Dunno, it feels sad but also exciting at the same time. LucasArts (or however you want to call them) felt dead since quite some time already. The times when LucasArts was making unique great games is over since many years. I remember how weird the logo looked in the beginning but after a few great games i was enjoying it when it showed up. I also wrote a couple of small LucasArts demos.

For Disney it probably would be the best and easy earned little money if they work together with certain studios to produce certain titles, maybe licencing might be an option in a few cases too but if i would be them i wouldn't sell the IPs.

Anyway as i wrote on this forum before if you just want it badly enough, i think there is a way to get certain games done.

updated OP with link to Grumpygamer article, and link to Bill Tiller petition

Not sure I like the petition. I anything, I want the old licenses being bought by Double Fine/Ron Gilbert, so that they can make money of their previous work with re-releases.

Yeah, I don't think Speilberg buying them is the right move. I also don't think he'd be interested, really. Heck, Disney might not even be interested in selling them since they plan on licensing stuff out.

Don't kid yourselves. Disney aren't going to sell any IPs. Why would they? They don't need the money. They'll either sit on the IPs until they need to sell them, or licence them out to third party developers.

Disney are worth a fortune, they won't need to go out and beg for a licencee or sell anything. We have a small chance of getting sequels through TTG/DF/etc, but I doubt we'll be getting any re-releases any time soon.

Sign in to follow this