Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
egalor

Dreaming of Full Throttle 2 again (LucasArts shutdown)

Now that LucasArts has been shut down, Disney will be willing to license external devs. As it might turn out, the Full Throttle license will be available too.

Any speculations on how much it might cost? It would be nice, if Double Fine could manage to acquire it at least on a temporary basis and do Full Throttle 2. And by Full Throttle 2 I mean a real sequel, not some 'arcade-based-3d-something' which was mercifully cancelled out, before it would do real damage to the franchise.

Don't know how about you, but I would happily spend lots of money on FT2 Kickstarter.

EDIT: Apologies for opening another thread on LucasArts shutdown and its licenses, but I wanted to specifically tie it to FT2 :)

I don't usually reply...

You're welcome.

BTW, do you mean that you don't care a rat's butt about Full Throttle with that Broken Age and stuff, or do you mean that it's extremely unrealistic? If it's the latter case, then why not? Who else would do a better Full Throttle 2, other than the one who did the original? Or is the license too expensive for Double Fine?

Arenegeth nice vid, point taken. It would also be suitable to post "A World to Build a Dream On" :)

Doublefine usually likes to do original IPs, where they have full ownership. The closest thing remotely related to full throttle in theory would be brutal legend.

I don't usually reply...

You're welcome.

BTW, do you mean that you don't care a rat's butt about Full Throttle with that Broken Age and stuff, or do you mean that it's extremely unrealistic? If it's the latter case, then why not? Who else would do a better Full Throttle 2, other than the one who did the original? Or is the license too expensive for Double Fine?

No, it was meant more as a joke, as I haven't replied in any of the other threads where it's been discussed.

I do think it's extremely unrealistic though. A Kickstarter for something like Full Throttle 2 would have to cover both the costs of buying/licensing the rights and development of the game. That would easily cost twice of what we pledged for DFA and realistically probably a lot more. I agree that Tim is likely to do a hypothetical sequel justice, but I wonder if he'd even want to do one. It probably has a special place in his heart, as it should, but let's face it, it's not near as universally acclaimed as Grim Fandango or Psychonauts.

Money being as tight as they are for Double Fine I think, when this whole DFA venture is over, it would make a lot more sense to Kickstart another original IP built on the same framework they've developed for Broken Age than spend a lot of money on rights for an old franchise.

I'm hoping this game will at least to a certain degree let me experience something similar to Full Throttle. That's probably hoping to much but it will be released soon so fingers crossed.

I wondered what had happened to Ride to Hell as I saw glimpses of it when I partook of a studio tour of Eutechnyx back in 2009 when I was at university. Looking into it it seems that it was cancelled or postponed then resurrected. Good for the developer as this type of game isn't the norm for them, they normally make racing games for various licences.

Sign in to follow this