Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TyrionXavier

The Cave 1.01 patch on PS3 breaks trophies (contains spoilers)

So I downloaded The Cave, and started playing it. I got a couple of the trophies (Shoplifting - stealing the postcard, and Well Done - roasting the hotdog), and then real life happened, and I took a break from the game.

When I returned after some time, there was a new patch! It automatically downloaded overnight due to PS+ subscription, and I was ready to go. I continued my game, figuring out things as I went, and then returned the postcard that I carried through the whole game. No Trophy. I should also have received several others for tasks accomplished during the game - such as Royal Buffet or What You Always Wanted, but didn't get any at all.

I thought I might have done something wrong - so I started a new game, and this time looked up the trophy guide, to make sure I hadn't done anything wrong. I took the Knight, as I had done that level previously, and I didn't get the trophy, but now I knew where it was - follow the King to the Princesses bedroom at the end of the level. Well I did that, and no trophy.

So I called Playstation support. They had not had any complaints about The Cave, but they had me reset the console and do a forced filesystem cleanup, just in case. I also deleted The Cave, deleted my save file, and re-downloaded and installed it.

Next step, I started up the game, manually applied the 1.01 patch (instead of having PS+ do it for me overnight), and did exactly the same thing - started a new game, took the Knight, went to get that trophy, and still didn't get it. At this point I thought I was doing something wrong, so I looked up the Trophy Guide again, watched the video, and figured out I was doing things exactly right - I just wasn't getting the trophies.

So I uninstalled the game, wiped the save file again, turned off PS+ auto-updating, re-downloaded it a third time, and started the game up without applying the 1.01 patch. Again selecting the Knight as one of my characters, I repeated the same process as before and presto! I got the trophy! Hurray!

The next day, I continued my game, and applied the 1.01 patch accidently. While it was downloading, I figured everything would be okay, since I got a Trophy yesterday, and everything should be fine and dandy. Of course, when I got to the next section where I should get a Trophy (Fire in the Hole - 3 deaths from the miner simultaneously), suprise surprise, no Trophy. Uninstall, re-download, re-install, continue game without patching, get killed, and the Trophy is mine.

Conclusion: 1.01 does not let you get Trophies. Not sure if it's because I started under 1.0 and then patched later or if it's just the patch. Since I deleted my save game, the first scenario seems unlikely.

Please advise.

someone reply to this man!

That'd be nice, it's been 3 days. Not impressed with the support thus far.

I did another test on my own while waiting, and have figured out that the save file has nothing to do with it. I patched the game again, on purpose, started a game, got to the point where I would get a Trophy (the Mine stage with the 3 deaths at once), and save/quit the game. I then uninstalled the game, kept my save file, re-downloaded the game again (reference to the Key speech at the end of the game :D), and continued my game without patching. I then got the trophy for getting killed 3 times. I did not, however, get the trophy from the Knight stage retroactively.

-Incredibly frustrated.

I have the same issue, just got the game, patched to v1.01 when prompted and started playing the game. The "Stealing..." didn't ding when I took the postcard into the Cave. I haven't got much further yet, but assume the other trophies will also not ding unless I unpatch the game. Just out of interest what was the 1.01 patch fixing?

Hi all,

We are very sorry to hear that you are having such awful issues with The Cave. We are looking into it. The problem seems to be related to how the game was put onto PSN during the PSN+ promotion. Did everyone here get the game through that promotion?

Hi Daniel,

Yes after having it on my list for ages I got it during the promotion ( but I paid for the unlock key, instead of using the free PSPlus unlock, if that is relevant ).

I have also had the same issue and I did get the game during the free promotion.

EDIT: I have since tried playing again and was able to gain a trophy. This is with the patch still installed; I personally did nothing to the game or save data. I had also noticed that when I first tried playing after the patch my current progress and cave paintings were missing. On second time starting up the game my cave paintings had returned.

When I tried to update the game first time my PS3 restarted itself. The second time went fine, but I aborted it, after reading this topic. The file was "The Cave: Trail" and size was about 12MB. I don't have PS+. Is it safe for me to update or would You recommend waiting for new patch? I have all trophies in this game and I would rather avoid losing them.

When I tried to update the game first time my PS3 restarted itself. The second time went fine, but I aborted it, after reading this topic. The file was "The Cave: Trail" and size was about 12MB. I don't have PS+. Is it safe for me to update or would You recommend waiting for new patch? I have all trophies in this game and I would rather avoid losing them.

I don't have PS+, I bought the game from the PS store around the time it came out, and that update lost my save game. No idea about trophies though, I didn't really pay any attention to that when I restarted.

I don't have PS+, I bought the game from the PS store around the time it came out, and that update lost my save game. No idea about trophies though, I didn't really pay any attention to that when I restarted.

I'll wait for another patch then. Thx for answer.

Well, after more than a month, I've had enough of virtually no response. I've uninstalled the game, and have cancelled my pre-order for Double Fine's next game. They say to vote with your wallet, well, that's what I've done. Sorry.

Fix it, or don't, at this point I just don't care any more.

Sign in to follow this