Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

The Making of the Teaser Trailer

@DF Oliver

Arbitrary? About how many lights are we talking here? Are you using an deferred approach for the lighting? I'm wondering due to possible fill rate issues on low performing mobiles. Oops, or i just misunderstood it, too much thinking in 3D and it's late.

Yeah no deferred lighting for us (it would be really challenging with this art style anyway). It's pretty simple actually because we simply calculate the average lighting information at the center of the characters. So there are no theoretical limits to how many lights you can have, but from a practical point of view you want to use a sensible amount of lights (e.g. around 5 - 10 for a single-screen scene).

Most of the visual effects we are using are a nice flashback to Playstation 1 times, because we are borrowing a lot of techniques used when fixed-function pipelines were still around. :)

Seriously? I never noticed ANY rim lighting in MI:SE (and went crazy when I saw it in MI2).

But your tech looks great... gute Arbeit, Oliver :)

Danke! :)

It was great fun working on the visual effects for MI:SE and MI2:SE. In MI:SE you can see the dynamic lights in action when you go to the fireplace in the SCUMM Bar, but yeah we used the tech way more on MI2:SE.

Hey all,

A lot of you have been asking about Rim Lighting. I unfortunately don't have the time right now to post a detailed description of what we're doing, but here's a bit more info. I'll try and do a detailed post of our entire lighting system later. Hopefully this answers a few questions in the meantime.

Wow, thanks for this post. That's fascinating stuff.

(Also now I want to go back and look at MI2:SE again.)

Hi Lee,

thanks for the post! Really cool that you took some time to describe it a bit more! :)

Is there a chance that you could also speak about the character rigs in detail? I am so thrilled by the 2D Chars being rigged in Maya. I'd really love to learn more about the animation process and how they got rigged! :D

I should mention at this point that these features are only supported on the PC and XBLA version of the game. Unfortunately I didn't had enough time to make them work on iOS as well...

Hi Lee,

thanks for the post! Really cool that you took some time to describe it a bit more! :)

Is there a chance that you could also speak about the character rigs in detail? I am so thrilled by the 2D Chars being rigged in Maya. I'd really love to learn more about the animation process and how they got rigged! :D

We already shared a lot of information about this:

Programming Update #4

Art Update #6

Art Update #8

@DF Oliver

Ah okay, now i know how you're doing it, thanks. Provides a great bang for the buck in such cases. I hope it will be implemented for the Mac as well. :o)

Hi Lee,

We already shared a lot of information about this:

Programming Update #4

Art Update #6

Art Update #8

Oh wow! Must have overseen it!

Ich dank Dir, Olli! Echt interessant und Lehrreich! ;)

I should mention at this point that these features are only supported on the PC and XBLA version of the game. Unfortunately I didn't had enough time to make them work on iOS as well...

But doesn't the playstation version on Disc or Download actually have that feature aswell? Looked to me the same as the PC version graphically.

But doesn't the playstation version on Disc or Download actually have that feature aswell? Looked to me the same as the PC version graphically.

Maybe... I think that version was done by an external contractor and I'm actually not sure which version it is based on. Can someone confirm if it contains the fancy-pants effects? :)

@DF Oliver

Btw. one thing i was wondering about is how happy are you with Moai generally? Can you already say if it was the best tool for the job or more one option you now feel comfortable with because you had already invested resources into it? Any significant pros and cons? Was it easy to integrate to your production process? Compared to more closed middleware the source code access looks very valuable to me.

And considering the experiences you've gatherer so far from building the engine, experimenting and implementing features, can you already say if Moai feels groovey, maybe like a smaller but focused and reliable solution to you? Have you already invested some research into the dirty little details which might show up when trying to get builds running on all devices really the way they should end up or were these primary more loose tests so far?

From the features you intend to use or due to specific optimisations which OpenGL versions will the engine be based on? For instance will the mobiles be based on OpenGL V2 or do you also go below?

Holy cow! Guys, I always knew this game was going to be great, but looking at these animations I dare say Broken Age is going to be quite revolutionary in the same way Grim Fandango was!

Outstanding job, DF!

Sign in to follow this