Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 9: "Broken Age"

Watching these documentary episodes makes me a little sad for some reason. Don't get me wrong, they're brilliant and compelling. I love them.

But in a way, I feel a little empty wishing that I could hang out and spend time with all the people in the videos and at DF. When each video ends it's like saying goodbye to a good friend.

Making games sure seems stressful. I can relate.

I like "Small Offerings" better than "Broken Age", but as you said, I will get used to it with time.

Not sure if Tim was joking, but it really is the least offensive title of the bunch..!

I felt the same way. "Small Offerings" sounds better to me than "Broken Age", but I'll get used to it. I think it is a fine title. It just doesn't excite me very much because both words are used excessively in titles in general. Sounds very samey and safe along all of the other titles out there. Not necessarily a bad thing, though. Even as I write this, it is growing on me.

I absolutely HATED Halo's title when I first heard about it (I still think "Halo Reach" is a ridiculous title), but now I think nothing of it.

Phil Fish is insufferable.

I know, right!?!?! The way he walked over pissed me off. Then he had the nerve to grab that beer AND shake Tim's hand.

RAGE.

;)

The part where the trailer ends and you see the anxiety on Tim's face, and then the roaring applause was magical.

Any Hark! A Vagrant fans out there? Tell me if I'm seeing things or is that a Kate Beaton cameo at 38:58?

I actually think a Hark! A Vagrant game would be amazing. :)

It was great until Phil Fish started swanning around.

Also the important question. When is episode 10!?

24:27 - If you look over Elliott’s shoulder, you can see Dave Gardner creeping in the background. They actually attended the Academy of Art in San Francisco together and it was through Elliott that Dave ended up at Double Fine.

I was doing my best mckayla maroney face!

Mugging for the camera, Dave, really? Does this really set the right impression of the professionalism of Double Fine .......... :D Yeah, I couldn't even type that without grinning like a loon. Good job at getting away with it, Dave!

Good episode like always, could do with more narwhals though.

Terrific episode, Double Fine and 2PP. Enjoyed it immensely. I really love the trailer, and I definitely get the sound element discussion that happened in this episode.

Smiles

That was such a awesome episode! Loved it! Real soul to the feel of this episode. It sure put a big smile on my face :D Cudos to you 2PP .. keep this up!

Great episode.

I didn't really mind Ron leaving as we never saw much of him anyway but Brendon leaving feels like a loss.

Any losing of the REDS core team from the pub episode is a shame as I really think some of the team members help to sell the "Doublefine Experience" kinda like the fittings in a nice restaurant.

Hopefully we won't lose to many more and we will see more of the newer team members and their background.

Is it odd that I'm really looking forward to "Amnesia fortnight 2013" Already :)

Plenty of magical moments in this episode, great to see Tim just sorting stuff out and being generally awesome. I can totally relate to the issue of finding the "right" name, I've got several notepads in the closet with hundreds and hundreds of columns with names for things I've been writing on in the past.

Another great episode. It was great to see the team watching the trailer back at the awards show - they must feel very proud.

Let's face it, the longer the game takes to make the more episodes we get to watch - it's a total win-win situation for the backers :P

Awesome episode! It was also awesome meeting Tim and the Brutal Legend art team at the book signing/release party. I'm not normally one to get all nervous around celebrities, but I did when I talked to Tim anyway. Still cool. In fact, all you DF guys are great-- so personable! It was like hanging out with friends. In line, in a crowd, sweating like crazy.

Fingers crossed Tim and Lee get a chance to get back to me on my portfolio (I know they're busy dudes and probably get requests for critique all the time, but here's hoping!)

I suppose this is more of a 'getting up to speed' episode, since it only really gets to where we were with the GT stuff a month back. I suppose it's always working on that sort of timeframe, but it's weird already being aware of most of the episode's developments.

Regardless it was great. I think this is the best 'dynamic' between Tim and Ron we've seen to date, just as he's leaving!

Loved that moment when the trailer ends, the crowd then goes nuts and Tim just smiles before cutting to black.

Almost made me shed a tear...

Can anyone plz tell me who makes the music for the documentary? is that the music from broken age or from the production of the doc? love it, and need 2 know :D

Phil Fish is insufferable.

You should watch him when he appeared at Giantbomb on one of their shows after GDC, or during GDC? One of their night of GDC live show thingies. There's a part at the very end and they used it as the main thumbnail for the video of him in his fuzzy sweater that you see in this episode and he has a big afro wig thing and some glasses and a beer and even his bag/sack thing and he's just slouched back sitting on Ryan Davis' lap and it's pretty hilarious :) Looks so cuddly.

Infact looks like there are images of it on that site, not the 'best' images but still check these out

2462708-vxhxjec.png

and here's the best one from the video that's used as the thumbnail haha:

2FSdM.png

Almost googly-eyed, and ryan davis just dead stare hugging.

A great episode. I'm sad to see Ron Gilbert leave Double Fine, though. :(

It just seems like Tim and Ron belong together, you know?

The part where the trailer ends and you see the anxiety on Tim's face, and then the roaring applause was magical.

This was my favorite moment as well. Amazing episode overall !

Great video and I love getting to see more little snippets of the game.

So incredible/inspiring to see inside this process. I can't WAIT for episode 10 of this documentary... I bought Amnesia Fortnight for the documentary, too. So please continue to let us into your world in the future...your world rocks. Double Fine/2 Player Productions, well done!

I am loving all these episodes. It's so well done. The fact that the development was going to be documented like this was actually a major selling point for my decision to back, but I can't help but feel like its a bit of a shame that everyone does not get to see these movies. If you guys want to share them with the world I personally will have n o hard feelings about it. I really want this game to do well and this is such a great tool for developing some buzz.

The team's reactions to the trailer unveiling and reception almost got me tearing up. Amazing work, guys. :)

Sign in to follow this